• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Undoubtedly they spur each other on during Mountain finishes. They have proven since 2009 that when they are in respective good health, they can attack like no other members of the Peleton.

It stands to reason that if Schleck has recovered, and more pointedly can motivate himself to pursure the Vuelta GC, then we will witness a very exciting race. Although the time differential may now be reduced between 1st and 2nd position, it is conversely likely that the gap bewteen 2nd and the rest will rise. The bigger the gap the more fireworks :)

Given the circumstances the following is purely hypothetical (and may have already been discussed). I am also interested to gain opinions as to whether a fully fit Contador could have bettered Wiggins and Sky in the 2012 TDF? Would Wiggins have gained too much time in the ITT? Could Contador have gained enough back in the Mountains?

airstream said:
Well, folks, could I kindly inform you who is going to be the 2012 Vuelta winner? :D

We already have a good idea of who the favorite is for the 2012 Vuelta in reality. Now the winner of the 2012 Vuelta in Airstreamistan is probably a different matter. By the way, what color is the sky in Airstreamistan? :p

On a more selfish note, with Andy riding the Vuelta there is a better than average chance NBCSports (old Versus) will cover it live/in HD :D

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Airstream and LaFlorecita will have a head-to-head challenge next Vuelta.

Hopefully Andy recover before 6 weeks because we are at 8 weeks from Vuelta start.

Argh why oh why did Andy have to be his stupid self again? Why did he have to crash? Now he's going to ruin everything.
Everyone is now hyping up the Vuelta and hoping for an epic battle and an exciting race etc. but I want Alberto to win. I don't want epic battles. For me a race is epic when Alberto is awesome and wins.
If Andy is going to race the Vuelta for the win Alberto won't even win the only race he could win this season. Stupid Andy probably doesn't understand how selfish that is. Just because he needs to save his **** season he's going to ruin someone else's season. It's just not fair.
I hope the Spaniards give Andy the same treatment as the Frenchies gave Alberto last year. He needs to know how that feels. Maybe he'll grow up when he finds out not everyone loves him. But the Spaniards won't do that because they've got 100000000x more class than the Frenchies.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
We already have a good idea of who the favorite is for the 2012 Vuelta in reality. Now the winner of the 2012 Vuelta in Airstreamistan is probably a different matter. By the way, what color is the sky in Airstreamistan? :p

On a more selfish note, with Andy riding the Vuelta there is a better than average chance NBCSports (old Versus) will cover it live/in HD :D

My cycling outlook is pretty standart, just a not Contador- centric one, unlike many people here, I'd say. So no need to ascribe to me an exclusive nationality. ;)

You see, you owe Andy a lot. :)))

airstream said:
My cycling outlook is pretty standart, just a not Contador- centric one, unlike many people here, I'd say. So no need to ascribe to me an exclusive nationality. ;)

You see, you owe Andy a lot. :)))

I'd say your cycling outlook is your own and very Andy-centric. Which is perfectly fine with me--you're like a one-stop devil's advocate for all things related to stage racing.

EDIT: And perhaps you didn't get the joke. Airstreamistan means you are living in your own little fantasy world. Or maybe you did.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Argh why oh why did Andy have to be his stupid self again? Why did he have to crash? Now he's going to ruin everything.
Everyone is now hyping up the Vuelta and hoping for an epic battle and an exciting race etc. but I want Alberto to win. I don't want epic battles. For me a race is epic when Alberto is awesome and wins.
If Andy is going to race the Vuelta for the win Alberto won't even win the only race he could win this season. Stupid Andy probably doesn't understand how selfish that is. Just because he needs to save his **** season he's going to ruin someone else's season. It's just not fair.
I hope the Spaniards give Andy the same treatment as the Frenchies gave Alberto last year. He needs to know how that feels. Maybe he'll grow up when he finds out not everyone loves him. But the Spaniards won't do that because they've got 100000000x more class than the Frenchies.

Thanks;) but I'm not sure about your last paragraph:p.

Pretty clear Alberto will ride at home and Andy away

burning said:
Had he a hunger knock in Galibier? If he was really that cooked, next day he couldnt go crazy and the other day he got 3rd in TT

About the Alpe d'huez stage, i thought Bertie didn't look good in his agenda, and started tting as he hit the telegraphe.

The results won't be so much different. Schleck might get a stage as a gift, Bertie won't win by 10 minutes, but by 5 on Schleck and by 10+ on the rest

LaFlorecita said:
He isn't going to beat Andy.

But to your question: No.

You're turning out to be a bit of a disappointment.:( Contador is out of racing for 6 months or so and Andy is out of actually competing for the approximately the same period and you're giving Andy the edge....in Spain....coming off of an injury that will leave him off his bike per doctor's orders for 3+ weeks?

Where is the belief in your man?

LaFlorecita said:
Well doesn't that make sense? Airstream thinks Andy will beat Alberto and I think Andy will beat Alberto.

Faith has got nothing to do with this. I try to have realistic expectations.

Also, he isn't "my guy".

Have you and Airstream hooked up on the downlow and he's taken you over to the dark side?;)

Angliru said:
You're turning out to be a bit of a disappointment.:( Contador is out of racing for 6 months or so and Andy is out of actually competing for the approximately the same period and you're giving Andy the edge....in Spain....coming off of an injury that will leave him off his bike per doctor's orders for 3+ weeks?

Where is the belief in your man?

I can believe Alberto will win but I would be fooling myself.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Actually, no. I just don't want to end up horribly disappointed.

Interesting. I can't see Alberto losing, he'll surely be fit for the Vuelta, whereas Andy will be coming off injury. Andy won't just be able to ride himself into form, as the Vuelta mountains aren't all in the third week like the Tour's are.

I see Alberto winning quite handily, though I'd like to be wrong.

jobiwan said:
Interesting. I can't see Alberto losing, he'll surely be fit for the Vuelta, whereas Andy will be coming off injury. Andy won't just be able to ride himself into form, as the Vuelta mountains aren't all in the third week like the Tour's are.

Well, I clearly see it differently.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
jobiwan said:

You are right, there are 12 uphills finish and Andy don't have enough time to get the form. Vuelta starts in 8 weeks and Andy needs 4-6 weeks. And in the first week there 3 or 4 uphill finish. We will see.

picture.php

TRENDING THREADS