• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
IIRC he also wants to ride San Sebastian.
Never ever thought I would say this, but the Tdf is missing Contador.......... and Andy! I even miss them staring into each others eyes and chaingate brings back good memories.

Their individual efforts in the mountains from last year is what this tour needs. This tour is just a war of attritition by two teams of heavies for GC. Only Sagan has brought any individual flair to the proceeedings.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I am very worried he is overtraining.. he doesn't seem to spare himself one bit. I hope he knows his body well enough to know when to stop.

I think Giro 2011 form is enough to win the Tour by 2-3 minutes, he can probably win la Vuelta by about that much time, as there won't be really strong opposition.

I think there will be strong opposition, it's just that Contador is better and he makes it look easy. Oh this Tour climb yesterday reminded me, again, of how badly we need Alberto back.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Normandy said:
Never ever thought I would say this, but the Tdf is missing Contador.......... and Andy! I even miss them staring into each others eyes and chaingate brings back good memories.

Their individual efforts in the mountains from last year is what this tour needs. This tour is just a war of attritition by two teams of heavies for GC. Only Sagan has brought any individual flair to the proceeedings.

So does the Tour want a closed in event where the winner is decided by the 1st week or the winner to be decided over 3 weeks of racing? This tour has been entertaining and there are lots of entertaining stages to come.

Normandy said:

I COMPLETELY agree.

marioni said:
I think there will be strong opposition, it's just that Contador is better and he makes it look easy. Oh this Tour climb yesterday reminded me, again, of how badly we need Alberto back.

Meh his opponents will certainly be less strong than in le Tour.

It isn't even certain that he would've ridden away but him trying would have been exciting to watch at the very least.

Normandy said:

It took 18 stages for Andy to do anything other than follow wheels last year and 16 for Bertie, desperate by that stage, to do likewise. Of course, with your rose tinted specs, they'd have livened up the 6 flat stages so far and left UK Postal for dead half way up La Planche des Belles Filles.

auscyclefan94 said:
So does the Tour want a closed in event where the winner is decided by the 1st week or the winner to be decided over 3 weeks of racing? This tour has been entertaining and there are lots of entertaining stages to come.

Haha of course the Tour wants the latter, but the Tour has got nothing to say about it. And you saying the Tour has been entertaining = hilarious! Yeah I guess it's been entertaining for you because your boy hasn't been caught behind a crash and hasn't lost a bucket load of time already. For me the only entertaining thing has been Sagan, god I love that kid.

And besides, who says that with Alberto the Tour would've been decided by the first week? It wasn't the case in 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011! And Alberto would've been involved in one crash or another anyhow, so he would've lost time too. Plus there is only one slightly decent mtf in the first week so how Alberto should've decided it there, especially with the minutes he would've lost because of a crash... It's a mystery to me.

But you just hate Alberto and you try to redeem it with arguments that don't even make sense.

And to your original question, yes the Tour wants the latter, but seriously if the first is the price of entertaining, exciting, attractive racing then YES PLEASE!

King Of The Wolds said:
It took 18 stages for Andy to do anything other than follow wheels last year and 16 for Bertie, desperate by that stage, to do likewise. Of course, with your rose tinted specs, they'd have livened up the 6 flat stages so far and left UK Postal for dead half way up La Planche des Belles Filles.

Yeah and of course Alberto wasn't struggling up Luz Ardiden and Plateau de Beilles. :rolleyes: Stage 16 simpy was the first stage Alberto was able to do anything, but of course, as a hater, you don't know or refuse to acknowledge that.

LaFlorecita said:
Yeah and of course Alberto wasn't struggling up Luz Ardiden and Plateau de Beilles. :rolleyes: Stage 16 simpy was the first stage Alberto was able to do anything, but of course, as a hater, you don't know or refuse to acknowledge that.

As a hater of whom? I, like everybody else, have been in awe of the man on occasions. Just pointing out that we're just 1 mountain stage into the Tour and people have very short memories of how early TdF mountain stages are usually ridden by the GC men - with or without Bertie and Andy. Both would have followed Sky wheels yesterday and Bertie may have been good enough to take a couple of seconds at the top.

King Of The Wolds said:
As a hater of whom? I, like everybody else, have been in awe of the man on occasions. Just pointing out that we're just 1 mountain stage into the Tour and people have very short memories of how early TdF mountain stages are usually ridden by the GC men - with or without Bertie and Andy. Both would have followed Sky wheels yesterday and Bertie may have been good enough to take a couple of seconds at the top.

Alberto would've ridden away or at least tried, without a single doubt.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Haha of course the Tour wants the latter, but the Tour has got nothing to say about it. And you saying the Tour has been entertaining = hilarious! Yeah I guess it's been entertaining for you because your boy hasn't been caught behind a crash and hasn't lost a bucket load of time already. For me the only entertaining thing has been Sagan, god I love that kid.

And besides, who says that with Alberto the Tour would've been decided by the first week? It wasn't the case in 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011! And Alberto would've been involved in one crash or another anyhow, so he would've lost time too. Plus there is only one slightly decent mtf in the first week so how Alberto should've decided it there, especially with the minutes he would've lost because of a crash... It's a mystery to me.

But you just hate Alberto and you try to redeem it with arguments that don't even make sense.

And to your original question, yes the Tour wants the latter, but seriously if the first is the price of entertaining, exciting, attractive racing then YES PLEASE!
Alberto didn't win 2010 or 2011 and that was the case in 2009 Tour and 2011 Giro even though he didn't officially win that race. Also, please don't chuck in the 'you hate alberto' arguments. It is really quite childish. Everyone knows you are a blind fangirl.

The tour has had some entertaining stages, but with Alberto at the Tour, it would have been a lot less exciting/entertaining.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It isn't even certain that he would've ridden away but him trying would have been exciting to watch at the very least.

LaFlorecita said:
Alberto would've ridden away or at least tried, without a single doubt.
Am I missing something here..? Also, just because someone disagrees with you why do you brand them a hater?

auscyclefan94 said:
Alberto didn't win 2010 or 2011 and that was the case in 2009 Tour and 2011 Giro even though he didn't officially win that race. Also, please don't chuck in the 'you hate alberto' arguments. It is really quite childish. Everyone knows you are a blind fangirl.

The tour has had some entertaining stages, but with Alberto at the Tour, it would have been a lot less exciting/entertaining.

Oh yeah how stupid of me he wasn't even there! :rolleyes: Come on we all know he raced those races. In 2009 he lost what, 40 seconds because of a split in the peloton. Hence he didn't decide it in Arcalis. And as I said before Giro is different, the opposition is less strong. And why disregard the 2010 Tour and not the 2011 Giro. Oh I know, because the 2010 Tour makes your argument weak. He raced and won the 2010 Tour. He decided it in the last TT. Later the win was taken away.

To YOU it would've been less exciting. Seeing the replies in this thread, in other threads and on twitter, there are A LOT of people that miss Alberto. Do you want some quotes from all over the internet?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Alberto makes the racing in the mountains more exicting certainly with his attacking style and his ability to put everyone on the brink instantly, but in terms of the dynamics of the Tour with the GC being over and lots more riders being capable of getting high places it is certainly more exciting without Alberto.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
auscyclefan94 said:

The tour has had some entertaining stages, but with Alberto at the Tour, it would have been a lot more exciting/entertaining.

In the past 10 years, or even more, there have been very few cases where the Tour winner was a rider giving some exctement to the race.
One of the few was Contador.

auscyclefan94 said:

Please explain how Contador's presence would have made this particular Tour "a lot less exciting/entertaining"?

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Help us Obiwan Contador - you are our only hope (of beating the damn sky train)!!

Sorry for the Star Wars reference, but it needed to be done :)

Seriously, I'm hoping Chris Froome does the Vuelta this year, just so I can watch Alberto flog him :)

The Joker said:
Help us Obiwan Contador - you are our only hope (of beating the damn sky train)!!

Sorry for the Star Wars reference, but it needed to be done :)

Seriously, I'm hoping Chris Froome does the Vuelta this year, just so I can watch Alberto flog him :)

That would be very nice :) I don't know why ACF is happy Alberto is not there, Alberto could've broken Wiggo.

The "close race" argument usually works. We saw it in 2006, for example. Having an overwhelming favourite can hurt the race, in that everybody will wait for him to move, and he might not need or want to do so.

Of course, it doesn't always hold. Sometimes you get a close race like the 2012 Giro which couldn't have been more boring, and sometimes the overwhelming favourite is the only one putting on a show. It depends.

"@albertocontador: Sad after Samuel Sanchez's abandon at tour,he has worked a lot for this race.This is cycling..."

"@albertocontador: Que sensacion mas buena cuando llegas a casa tras hacer un gran entrene.What a good feeling when arrive at home after doing a great training"

"@albertocontador: Hoy me machaque junto a mi Specialized Venge.Today I worked hard together with my Specialized Venge. http://t.co/QYdBfs1g"

mx8bq.jpg

TRENDING THREADS