• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

alcohol spray?

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Ive seen some footage of pro cyclsts getting sprayed all over their body with alcohol spray but I cannot find any information as to why they do this- Im guessing that it evaporates very quickly and cools the person down but they do this before racing it seems?

Anybody know why they do this?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
shakeshakeshake said:
Ive seen some footage of pro cyclsts getting sprayed all over their body with alcohol spray but I cannot find any information as to why they do this- Im guessing that it evaporates very quickly and cools the person down but they do this before racing it seems?

In the USA Pro Challenge riders were spraying sun block on themselves just prior to the start.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
shakeshakeshake said:
.......... pro cyclsts getting sprayed all over their body with alcohol spray...............

I did a bit of research on effects of alcohol on skin; what I have found is that sustained use can be detrimental to ones skin by washing away protective oils.

shakeshakeshake said:

Unfortunately it has little effect on Andy since he usually has alcohol already seeping through his pores.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
shakeshakeshake said:

Yes it's for cooling. You have to be careful though or you'll be throwing up everywhere.