• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alexander Kristoff

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The past year hasn barely shown anything about the impact of the European championships, because our European champion from last year was also the reigning world champion, and proceeded to repeat that feat to dodge the Euro jersey.

Unless Kristoff wins in Bergen, the Euro jersey will be a lot more visible next year.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
I don't think his season looks great, nobody values these races. I'd rather win a Tour stage than those two WT races + EC that Kristoff won.

It is not like he only chooses races that are easy wins so I can´t see any reason for criticism. There is no point in blaming Kristoff for the lack of interest in this title by some of the other high profile riders. I am sure he´s a bit disappointed with the season overall so far, but an EC-title is nice to add to his achievements anyhow. He was the strongest man and Norway had a good team to support him. It should build some confidence before Worlds on home ground, although Bergen isn´t well suited for Kristoff.

Any ideas on how he and Gaviria is going to split the races between them next season? I just saw that he (Kristoff) would even want to be Gaviria's lead-out man in TdF, something I do not really approve of, if it means that Kristoff is going to slave for a lesser rider on even the stages that suit him best. Maybe let Gaviria be the main sprinter on the first flat stages of TdF, where everyone is still fresh and pure sprint power/positioning matters. Then let both riders have a go the further they get into the race (the better Kristoff becomes and the worse Gaviria gets, relatively speaking).

And what about MSR?

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Any ideas on how he and Gaviria is going to split the races between them next season? I just saw that he (Kristoff) would even want to be Gaviria's lead-out man in TdF, something I do not really approve of, if it means that Kristoff is going to slave for a lesser rider on even the stages that suit him best. Maybe let Gaviria be the main sprinter on the first flat stages of TdF, where everyone is still fresh and pure sprint power/positioning matters. Then let both riders have a go the further they get into the race (the better Kristoff becomes and the worse Gaviria gets, relatively speaking).

And what about MSR?
The longer I think about the move the less sense it makes to me. There are so many different kinds of sprinters and UAE thought it would be a good idea to sign two pretty much identical ones. I just can't see how there won't be a big conflict in the team prior to MSR

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

And what about MSR?
The longer I think about the move the less sense it makes to me. There are so many different kinds of sprinters and UAE thought it would be a good idea to sign two pretty much identical ones. I just can't see how there won't be a big conflict in the team prior to MSR

I don't think they are identical at all. Kristoff seems to be better in tough conditions, Gaviria is much, much faster.

The problem is that they both aim for many of the same races, but that doesn't make them identical.

I found his comments on the Gaviria acquisition incredibly refreshing. I'm of the opinion that there is little reason for the 2 too crops paths often. Maybe MSR with Kristoff getting Lead 1A and TDF if they want a strong leadout for Gaviria

Gigs_98 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

And what about MSR?
Like Toby I do not find them that identical. As sprinters I find them to have somewhat opposite skillsets, except for the fact that Gaviria can sometimes manage smaller climbs. One is fragile but with a very high top level, and the other is rocksolid but has a top level just below the best.

I understand UAE's decision in that regard. MSR is a race with wide appeal to different sprinter types, so an overlap would have happened almost no matter which sprinter UAE had hired. I just hope that, throughout 2019, it will be the pattern that they get to use their different skillsets instead of limiting one on behalf of the other.
The strategy in MSR could be that Gaviria is a wild card plan A, while Kristoff is the solid plan B. So both start out as leaders, and if Gaviria crashes/gets dropped before the finale, they still have a solid plan B (Kristoff) who is almost as good (and more proven) in the sprint.

Cance > TheRest said:
Gigs_98 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

And what about MSR?
Like Toby I do not find them that identical. As sprinters I find them to have somewhat opposite skillsets, except for the fact that Gaviria can sometimes manage smaller climbs. One is fragile but with a very high top level, and the other is rocksolid but has a top level just below the best.

I understand UAE's decision in that regard. MSR is a race with wide appeal to different sprinter types, so an overlap would have happened almost no matter which sprinter UAE had hired. I just hope that, throughout 2019, it will be the pattern that they get to use their different skillsets instead of limiting one on behalf of the other.
The strategy in MSR could be that Gaviria is a wild card plan A, while Kristoff is the solid plan B. So both start out as leaders, and if Gaviria crashes/gets dropped before the finale, they still have a solid plan B (Kristoff) who is almost as good (and more proven) in the sprint.

MSR should essentially be there only cross over point. Unless Gaviria turns out to be a prodigious talent on the Northern Classics.

I would hazard at the end of MSR if they both survive to the end Kristoff should still be leader and he has proven time and again to be elite after a super long stage

Gigs_98 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

And what about MSR?
AK is a hardman, power sprinter while FG is a smooth situation speedster. There are plenty of leadership possibilities for both, and even if/when they overlap (Tdf, MSR...) there is an advantage for them.

jmdirt said:
Gigs_98 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

And what about MSR?
AK is a hardman, power sprinter while FG is a smooth situation speedster. There are plenty of leadership possibilities for both, and even if/when they overlap (Tdf, MSR...) there is an advantage for them.

What is it that this term is supposed to mean? Power is work per unit of time and is measured in watts. Many watts translates into high speed. Kristoff is clearly not as fast as Groenewegen, Gaviria, Kittel and Greipel, ergo he doesn't generate as many watts, ergo his maximal power output is smaller than theirs, yet everybody insists on calling him a "power sprinter". Why?

It's not necessarily directed at you, jmdirt, but we have to pass the time talking about something :)

An interview with the endurance sprinter, Kristoff, about life with the power sprinter, Gaviria:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kristoff-learns-the-ropes-of-lead-out-man-at-uae-tour/

I think it's a nice, honest interview. He says that he would prefer to sprint for himself, that he could feel he wasn't as motivated for the race because he wouldn't be getting his own chances and he really didn't want to be there instead of at the opening weekend. He also acknowledges that it makes sense for him to be working for Gaviria, and that he will do the same in the Tour.

But the big question for Kristoff this season is whether he can refind his classics mojo. This is what will define his season. Last year he was very bad in the Belgian classics with a meagre 16th place at Flanders being his best result.

Nice race AK! That's how a hardman, power sprinter wins! ;)

Because he knows that he will have to split leadership with FG, he might (should) have been looking to P-R while training this spring. He's cracked the top 10 at least twice so he could be in the battle at the front.

tobydawq said:
KZD said:
Screecher said:
His sprint at the end of a hard race is just ridiculously strong, i have no idea how he does it. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't seem to have the same climbing form as in 2015 so i don't see him winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen.

True, but he us looking great to Paris Roubaix

He has never been good there, though.

He has been in the top 10 on two occasions in 2013 and 2015. I dont think anyone would be surprised to see him win it. As a former winner of MSR and Flanders, now adding GW to that list also.

TRENDING THREADS