• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alexandre Pliuschin

is Moldovan. Moldavia is a province of Romania. Moldova is an independent state.

To call him Moldavian is a little bit like calling someone from Mexico a Texan.

I know he is from a small East European state and he is a rider that no one has heard of, but I'd have thought CN could at least have managed to get his country right.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is a mistake. There are two definitions. Here is some information about Moldova:

Nationality:
noun: Moldovan(s)
adjective: Moldovan

Ethnic groups: Moldavian/Romanian 64.5% Ukrainian 13.8% Russian 13% Gagauz 3.5% Jewish 1.5% Bulgarian 2% other 1.7% (1989 figures)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ireland said:
I don't think this is a mistake. There are two definitions. Here is some information about Moldova:

Nationality:

Ethnic groups: Moldavian/Romanian 64.5% Ukrainian 13.8% Russian 13% Gagauz 3.5% Jewish 1.5% Bulgarian 2% other 1.7% (1989 figures)

Someone in this thread just got schooled.

It is a mistake but the two are easily confused.

Nationality:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/md.html

What is now Moldova - was part of Romania until it was annexed by the USSR in 1940-1. At that time it was known as Bessarabia. The annexed territory was then amalgamated with other land North of the River Prut to form the Soviet Republic of Moldova. When the Soviet Union broke up in 1992 the former SSR of Moldova became the Republic of Moldova.

Republic of Moldova

Moldovan as a language is identical to Romanian (although the accent is different and there are more slavic words). Talk to a Moldovan in Romanian and they will describe it as Moldovan.

Moldavia is a region of Romania formed of the former Principality of Moldavia (which at various points in history included Bessarabia).

Pliuschin is Moldovan not Moldavian.

And no Jamesque - no one got schooled. What are you a 5 year old wigga?

Actually, technically speaking he is both Moldovan and Moldavian. Moldavia is a Romanian province. It used to be much larger than it is at present, in fact roughly corresponding to present day Moldavia and present day Moldova combined. However, the borders shifted when the Russians expanded into the area. The name of the Russian-ruled part of the province was Slavicized as well, hence 'Moldova'. Much of the population speak Romanian, which is the national language (Moldovan is simply Romanian written in Cyrillic), and are ethnically the same as the Moldavians across the border (hence ethnic group = Moldavian). Pliuschin's name is clearly Slavic though, so he clearly has some familial ties to the Ukrainian or Russian population.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque. Not Jamesque. Jamesque is the name 'James' with the Spanish word for 'what' stuck on the end. Jamsque is my internet handle.

To call me Jamesque is like calling our favourite Slovakian neo-pro Peter Saygan.

I know I'm from a small sub-forum and no-one has ever heard of me, but I'd have thought Mrs John Murphy could at least spell my name right.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Jamsque. Not Jamesque. Jamesque is the name 'James' with the Spanish word for 'what' stuck on the end. Jamsque is my internet handle.

To call me Jamesque is like calling our favourite Slovakian neo-pro Peter Saygan.

I know I'm from a small sub-forum and no-one has ever heard of me, but I'd have thought Mrs John Murphy could at least spell my name right.

Two point to Jamesquel... I mean... aw crap.

Okay... four points.

Libertine Seguros said:
Actually, technically speaking he is both Moldovan and Moldavian. Moldavia is a Romanian province. It used to be much larger than it is at present, in fact roughly corresponding to present day Moldavia and present day Moldova combined. However, the borders shifted when the Russians expanded into the area. The name of the Russian-ruled part of the province was Slavicized as well, hence 'Moldova'. Much of the population speak Romanian, which is the national language (Moldovan is simply Romanian written in Cyrillic), and are ethnically the same as the Moldavians across the border (hence ethnic group = Moldavian). Pliuschin's name is clearly Slavic though, so he clearly has some familial ties to the Ukrainian or Russian population.

Agree but just to note that Moldovan as a language is in latin script but most signs are bi-lingual. Moldovan-Russian.

File:Chisinau_Station.jpg

Delicato said:
Actually he is Plushkin, not Pluischin.

Depends on the transliteration.

His name is:
Александр Плюшкин

The ю is the same sound that is like 'you' which is why Katusha should be Katyusha.

An English transliteration of his name would be Aleksandr Plyushkin.

The spelling Pliuschin may be the Romanian transliteration of his name; certainly it would match the transliteration of his name (in Cyrillic) into Italian.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
This thing of renaming neighboring countries or provinces to match existing names is a typical Soviet/Russian trick for grabbing land by stealth - its a little bit naughty.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
metaCYCLE said:
i duobt it. his name is definitely russian. so my guess is this one: Aleksandr...

And he is Russian, hence Alexandre or Aleksandr(btw, it always bothered me why in English there is no correct and complete equivalent to what we mean by "nationality" in Russian). So, for me he is Plushkin(English transliteration), not Pluischin, or Pliuşchin.

Apr 26, 2010
be.net
Mrs John Murphy said:
I was thinking about the Romanianised version of his name which would be Alexandru rather than Alexandre.

Yes. That's 100% correct. It's Alexandru in Romanian.

Delicato said:
And he is Russian, hence Alexandre or Aleksandr(btw, it always bothered me why in English there is no correct and complete equivalent to what we mean by "nationality" in Russian). So, for me he is Plushkin(English transliteration), not Pluischin, or Pliuşchin.

That's also a valid point. He is of Russian ethnicity afterall...

TRENDING THREADS