• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

All 3 GTs?

With the Vuelta route 2010 just announced.Does anyone think all 3 GTs can be ridden and one in the same year?All 3 Gts are favouring the climbers this year and less TT kms?2010 could be the year Alberto wins all three?What do you think...?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well never say never, right? But I cannot see this happening. As dominant as Contador is, he would have to be in peak form on three separate occasions for three week races. Very hard to do, and he would be facing people in every GT who based their whole season on those three weeks. Look how Sastre stumbled after riding four consecutive GT's. Contador would also have to have strong support with him at each race; many of his teammates would have to ride at least two GT's. Can't see that working well with his current team. He showed us he can win a Giro without much preparation, and there have been riders who have been strong all year long in years past, but with the strength and depth of today's peloton I don't see anyone pulling this off.

No. He wont try, nor it it possible. If Contador had a stronger team (like this year's Astana, but without the internal competition) and all GTs were as relatively easy as the Tour, it could be done.

But looking at a race like the Giro.... It's just so taxing, plus you're going to have to outclass all the Liquigas guys to do it, forced to go the whole 9 yards with Pellizotti, Basso and Menchov up the Zoncolan, Mortirolo and Kronplatz. Then comes le Tour , where he would be subjected to constant Shack Attacks and the Schlecks tearing it up. And then having to slog through three weeks of scorchingly hot Vuelta action with the (possibly rested) Samuel Sanchez and Carlos Sastre taking turns beating him up to Bola del Mundo. Plus he would have to do it all with Alexandre Vinokourov as his top domestique, who would just as soon sprint away with an attacker than chase him down to help poor Berto.

Not this year, and probably not ever.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't Carlos Sastre the last serious GT contender to ride all three?

43rd Giro (in support of "extraterrestrial" Basso)
3rd Tour
4th Vuelta

Can't be done (will all) at today's level of competition and focus.

A

Anonymous

I believe the Treble can and will be won by someone at some stage - but i'm very overoptimistic.

It will have to be someone who targets the Giro/Tour double regularly - and then after a ridiculous season of winning those two GTs, goes into a weak Vuelta field with zero training and somehow pulls it off. Highly unlikely, but records are made to be broken.

I think this year is the perfect opportunity for someone to do the Giro/Vuelta double win - both tours are very climber based with strong team support (i'm looking at Liquigas here with Pellizotti or Cervelo's Sastre). However, the rider will have to skip the tour (maybe BMCs Cadel if a tour invite does not arrive). Either way, this is a good year to try for that double.

The only other double possible is Tour/Vuelta. Someone like Contador springs to mind here. IMO, this will be his double to attempt as his career progress.

The Giro/Tour double is arguably the hardest one and the rider I could see doing that is Andy Schleck - however, i dont believe he is ready to ride the Giro again yet. It's a shame as the 2010 Giro is suited for his style. I really wish those Schleck brothers attempted the Giro (even Frank - he cant win the Tour IMO, but he is so so so suited to a typical climbers Giro)

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
it would even be cool, and a bit more realistic to see some one go in with the aim of 3 podiums?
Maybe if it becomes increasingly obvious that beating contador at the TDF isnt going to happen, that could be a ****ing awesome feat, maybe for andy schleck? or basso if he regains his past form

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
In 2010 all 3 grand tours seem to be very heavy, so I doubt anyone can seriously contend for the podium in all three of them. Perhaps in a year when one or two are 'easier', but it's still not very likely as it takes a lot out of you to even ride one with the best.

There are often some domestiques who ride all three, but I wonder if that's even going to happen next year!

In a year in the very near future where Contador and Andy Schleck have somehow both gone under the knife and had to miss the entire season, I could forsee a rider with Evans steadiness and consistency of form being capable of doing it. Now the liklihood of a rider having the willingness to subject themselves to that much abuse is quite slim.

-Evans entering the Giro, dominating in the ITT's, actually winning a summit finish and winning against a less than stellar field.
-Evans winning the Tour by several minutes gained before the final week where his team is able to ride defensively while his opponents desparately scramble for the remaining podium positions (Contador and A. Schleck of course are missing due to season ending injuries). This tour would have to inlcude major ITT km's to make this a possibility.
-Evans seeing the opportunity to make his mark in history and not feeling overly fatigued after finishing the Tour, enters a Vuelta that also includes more ITT km's than any in Vuelta history and a not overly challenging parcours.

I've come to recognize that Evans' biggest asset is the straightline of his performance and form. With the exception of the 2009 Tour he is about as steady and consistent as they come. Steady in the classics and week long stage races that he enters and steady in the grand tours. If he'd entered this year's Giro he likely would have had his first grand tour win.

Of course all of this is sheerly for the benefit of aussiecyclefan who will be shocked to no end by my post.:D Honestly I believe Evans is the only one of the current crop of grand tour contenders to have the consistency and endurance to pull this off although I'm quite certain that it won't happen in my lifetime.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
The Tour coming after the Giro nearly precludes someone going for the win in all three. I love the Giro racing best of all, but the TdF is the most important race so the elite contender cannot afford to leave anything to chance at the TdF.

If the Tour were first in the calendar, you would likely see more guys attempting the Tour-Giro double. The TdF winner can ride to win the Giro and if he fails, no biggie. If he wins, then the Vuelta becomes even more the target.

Contador cannot take the chance on mistiming his fitness for the TdF if he races the Giro to win. If the TdF came first, he would have less reservations about mistiming his fitness for the Giro and/or Vuelta.

If only Contador had a super strong and supportive team like Saxo Bank. 2010 would be a great year to try it. Even if Astana had the horses to do it, Vino would never buy in to full time support in both the Giro and the Tour.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I think it is just impossible from a team standpoint. Any star rider would be asking a hell of a lot from the small pool of teammates who have the type of quality he would need to be of service in a 3 week race. These days the schedule is just too long and a team leader would have to "peak" 3 times, in May, July and September! I just don't think it's possible for any one rider to win all 3. Now, I could imagine a scenario where one team could potentially. Look at Astana 2009. With that many potential captains and a strong roster of domestiques it was conceivable but highly unlikely.

By the way, Greipel won the points classification at the Vuelta and did not start the Tour or Giro, I believe. Farrar, and I think 1 or 2 others, started all three but he DNF'd the Vuelta.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
# Tours

I would much rather see one of the SHACK boys win the Tour of Gila,Tour of California and then the Tour of Missouri...Now, That would be an achievement...COLIN LAING

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Dave Millar did all 3 this year too didn't he?

I can't see anyone, not even Contador winning all 3 in the same year. Particularly not when the Giro and the Vuelta are competing with each other over how mental they can make the course.

I hope Contador would attempt to this in the future, probably no chance, but would be an amazing achievement.

He would atleast have to try to win each GT with the least effort possible, like just wheelsucking up the mountains and take time in TTs only. Could be possible with an extremely strong team, and less demanding courses in giro and vuelta.

A

Anonymous

Angliru said:
In a year in the very near future where Contador and Andy Schleck have somehow both gone under the knife and had to miss the entire season, I could forsee a rider with Evans steadiness and consistency of form being capable of doing it. Now the liklihood of a rider having the willingness to subject themselves to that much abuse is quite slim.

-Evans entering the Giro, dominating in the ITT's, actually winning a summit finish and winning against a less than stellar field.
-Evans winning the Tour by several minutes gained before the final week where his team is able to ride defensively while his opponents desparately scramble for the remaining podium positions (Contador and A. Schleck of course are missing due to season ending injuries). This tour would have to inlcude major ITT km's to make this a possibility.
-Evans seeing the opportunity to make his mark in history and not feeling overly fatigued after finishing the Tour, enters a Vuelta that also includes more ITT km's than any in Vuelta history and a not overly challenging parcours.

I've come to recognize that Evans' biggest asset is the straightline of his performance and form. With the exception of the 2009 Tour he is about as steady and consistent as they come. Steady in the classics and week long stage races that he enters and steady in the grand tours. If he'd entered this year's Giro he likely would have had his first grand tour win.

Of course all of this is sheerly for the benefit of aussiecyclefan who will be shocked to no end by my post.:D Honestly I believe Evans is the only one of the current crop of grand tour contenders to have the consistency and endurance to pull this off although I'm quite certain that it won't happen in my lifetime.

Interesting points. You're right, the treble is likely to go to someone with a solid TT and defensive style. It can't be a rider that relies on one or two breathtaking attacks to win a tour (Sastre-style rider). Of course, for this defensive, TT, Indurain like rider we need to see the transition back to grand tours with actual TT kms. 2010 is ridiculous in terms of TTs - a stupid trend of climber courses.

Interesting also about Cadels consistency. I agree that's his biggest asset, he's been superconsistent since his MTB days. The only problem with that is if you have an unlucky puncture, there is just no way to make up time. ie Cadels style (and leipheimer, menchov maybe basso in there too) requires that you stay with the climbers in the mountains and then push them down a few places in the TTs. Unfortunately for these riders if they lose a chunk of time from a crash or puncture they don't have that Schleck-AC-Gesink like attack to simply regain 1-2 minutes in the mountains. Hence, for a deisel to win all 3, as you said, we need 100km of individual TTs in all 3 GTS

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:

Of course all of this is sheerly for the benefit of aussiecyclefan who will be shocked to no end by my post. Honestly I believe Evans is the only one of the current crop of grand tour contenders to have the consistency and endurance to pull this off although I'm quite certain that it won't happen in my lifetime.

I AM SHOCKED! You have finally been converted from a cadel hater to one of the many fans:eek::eek::eek::D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:

On point 1:If you look at the giro field this year, it was a very strong field, but i think evans could of climbed and maybe outclimbed menchov and diluca, at the giro. This year may not have much TT but the TT on the Plan de Corones could be a good stage for cadel and possibly another mountain top finsh at the giro though personally i think that Pellizotti will be the man to beat as liquigas will be very strong and the TTT will give them a big advantage.

Personally if Evans can get back the form of 2007 were I think he was time trialling and climbing his best with his new team and his new racing attitude (not that it was that bad before the worlds), I think he may have a really successful year.

Trying to keep a lid on it but Angliru has shocked me with his comments :eek:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
Close call! :rolleyes:

Actually, he didn't start Giro, didn't start Tour de France, and completed Vuelta.

Hm! Thought I read that in Planète Cyclisme the other day, but I must be wrong then, let me go check again ...

/edit: Oh, it was T. Farrar that they were talking about.

TRENDING THREADS