• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

All three grand tours.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Could Contador win the Giro, Tour and Vuelta in one season?

• He simply cannot do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 19, 2010
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Yeah, I think you missed a Giro there ;)

Okay, that's gonna cost you... time (if you choose to read this, that is). 'Cause now I've gotta go into part of the original post I lost:

(Please pardon this brief (for me) rant): I really feel Contador got penalized for the RFEC's blunder with the timing of his suspension. He was cleared to compete for the first part of 2011, and however dubious that clearance may have been, it was not Contador's doing. Those results should stand, with the end of his suspension being pushed out the length of time he competed in 2011. Instead of a Giro win and a top-5 Tour finish on his palmares, he gets a chance to compete in the 2012 Vuelta (admittedly as the likely prohibitive favorite) and the 2012 Worlds. Which would you rather have?

Alright, rant off. To get back on topic, I think Contador needs to focus on TOUR TOUR TOUR over the next few years. However, riding the Vuelta won't interfere with Tour preparation, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him competing there, too. He needs GT wins, and the Vuelta is probably the easiest one to win (especially since he could probably design the route himself if he wanted to). Plus, I think he'd like to get another double (Tour-Vuelta) to go with the Giro-Vuelta in his palmares.

I think Contador still has a chance to accomplish enough to be mentioned in the same breath as the legends of cycling. A pretty decent chance, actually. What I think this suspension may have cost him is the chance to establish himself inarguably as the greatest GT rider of all time. We shall see.

airstream said:
and currently the first contador's goal is to try to become an honest rider, able to win being clean.

For some reason I don't think that's Alberto's first goal.. :eek:

He is able to win clean, whether you believe he doped or not.

Or you must believe he doped when he was ~20 years old.

I don't believe he doped, never. I think he values his life too much after that accident to risk it with doping.

Califootman said:
Okay, that's gonna cost you... time (if you choose to read this, that is). 'Cause now I've gotta go into part of the original post I lost:

(Please pardon this brief (for me) rant): I really feel Contador got penalized for the RFEC's blunder with the timing of his suspension. He was cleared to compete for the first part of 2011, and however dubious that clearance may have been, it was not Contador's doing. Those results should stand, with the end of his suspension being pushed out the length of time he competed in 2011. Instead of a Giro win and a top-5 Tour finish on his palmares, he gets a chance to compete in the 2012 Vuelta (admittedly as the likely prohibitive favorite) and the 2012 Worlds. Which would you rather have?

Alright, rant off. To get back on topic, I think Contador needs to focus on TOUR TOUR TOUR over the next few years. However, riding the Vuelta won't interfere with Tour preparation, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him competing there, too. He needs GT wins, and the Vuelta is probably the easiest one to win (especially since he could probably design the route himself if he wanted to). Plus, I think he'd like to get another double (Tour-Vuelta) to go with the Giro-Vuelta in his palmares.

I think Contador still has a chance to accomplish enough to be mentioned in the same breath as the legends of cycling. A pretty decent chance, actually. What I think this suspension may have cost him is the chance to establish himself inarguably as the greatest GT rider of all time. We shall see.

Only thing Contador need now (If you ask me) is 2 tours where he destoys the field. Do what he did last giro + have a strong team with him, if he does that, atleast i will remember him as top 3 strongest gt riders

Califootman said:

This. But I disagree with the rest. I'd like to know why everyone thinks (except airstream) that Alberto is going to win so many GT titles after his suspension. I mean, I'm a huge fangirl but even I don't think he can pull that off.

He would've ended up among the greats but that chance is gone now. He loses 3 years of winning GTs and that's a lot. Especially since they're (especially the last two) his best years. He'll have 1 or 2 years left in the prime of his career. That's it. And if we could count on him winning GTs he could end up with 8 GT wins or so. But history shows that we can't.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Only thing Contador need now (If you ask me) is 2 tours where he destoys the field. Do what he did last giro + have a strong team with him, if he does that, atleast i will remember him as top 3 strongest gt riders

Yes, YOU will remember him. I will do so as well. Just as other fans. But the regular cycling fan won't.

Now I remember Alberto saying he doesn't care about records and his palmares.

But I also remember him saying that he wants to leave the sport with the feeling he's done something good for it. And that he wants to be remembered for that.

LaFlorecita said:
Yes, YOU will remember him. I will do so as well. Just as other fans. But the regular cycling fan won't.

Now I remember Alberto saying he doesn't care about records and his palmares.

But I also remember him saying that he wants to leave the sport with the feeling he's done something good for it. And that he wants to be remembered for that.

Now, now, he will be remembered, but he ain't no Vino sweet heart :p

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
This. But I disagree with the rest. I'd like to know why everyone thinks (except airstream) that Alberto is going to win so many GT titles after his suspension. I mean, I'm a huge fangirl but even I don't think he can pull that off.

He would've ended up among the greats but that chance is gone now. He loses 3 years of winning GTs and that's a lot. Especially since they're (especially the last two) his best years. He'll have 1 or 2 years left in the prime of his career. That's it. And if we could count on him winning GTs he could end up with 8 GT wins or so. But history shows that we can't.

Because we aren't Contador haters unlike airstream and you:D

It was told by some close riders to him that Contador has hardly no life outside the bike, he is full committed to the sport. Two month ago when the CAS verdict Pereiro spoke of how even in october-november he is ready for the action. (Weight/diet/training)

Forunculo said:
It was told by some close riders to him that Contador has hardly no life outside the bike, he is full committed to the sport. Two month ago when the CAS verdict Pereiro spoke of how even in october-november he is ready for the action. (Weight/diet/training)

That is now. Not in two years time. Besides, however much you're committed to the sport doesn't matter (Andy Schleck scenarios aside) you need to be the best.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
That is now. Not in two years time. Besides, however much you're committed to the sport doesn't matter (Andy Schleck scenarios aside) you need to be the best.

In two years he will be still the best and if you are committed you can extend the lifespan of your career.

He will be 30 in next TdF, and with 31, 32, 33 and 34 there is no reason to expect nothing else than a win from him. And even with more years he can challenge some Giros and Vueltas.

Forunculo said:
In two years he will be still the best and if you are committed you can extend the lifespan of your career.

He will be 30 in next TdF, and with 31, 32, 33 and 34 there is no reason to expect nothing else than a win from him. And even with more years he can challenge some Giros and Vueltas.

Please 34 is old not everyone is like Cadel.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
So why did AC gain 7 Kg in the off season then? Personally I think the 7 kg thing was bull****, he didn't look at all overweight - just mind games.

Huge sandbagging, he always told that he needs one month of racing to catch the form and with goals at the end of the season like Vuelta he won't be in form in february.

His two little accelerations at the two summits in Argentina against a Levi in more than decent form are pretty clear for me.