• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Altitude Camps"...really?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What do you think the dopers are using altitude training for? It is possible that a doper would do the withdrawl aspect of blood doping for later transfusion during a GT or something like that? With the increase of blood values at altitude, especially RET% - maybe the withdrawal wouldn't look so suspicious on the ABP?

If, OTOH, the dopers are microdosing rEPO at altitude that's really not going to be an evasion tactic since microdosing rEPO is currently not flagged on the ABP (see Ashenden's paper). And if the dopers are using bigger, more therapeutic-level doses of rEPO at altitude camps - then they run the risk of getting popped on a test (unless the riders can somehow dodge OOC testing at these camps).

Do you recall what Armstrong & Postal were doing with their blood doping procedures? Did they withdrawl blood at their altitude training camps for later transfusion at the Tour? I don't recall Armstrong taking much about this other than explaining that Postal made the decision to exclusively blood dope during the Tours after the rEPO test came out in 2000.
There can be many reasons to use high altitude training even if one blood doped of which the most evident ones are to hide the use of EPO. If one is a low-responder to high altitude training, there is nothing preventing taking a few extra HCT points with EPO. There is also some research that hypoxia increases performance in ways not related to the elevation of HbMass, e.g. increasing mechanical efficiency.

There has been speculation about blood being withdrawn after high altitude training to elicit a smaller transcient anemia for the cyclist to recover in the 4-5 weeks before reinfusion if one uses the standard +4 C storage. IIRC, this was barely (if at all) mentioned in the USPS USADA-affidavits, and it was mostly speculated during Armstrong's comeback in 2009, when he had a high altitude training preceding the TDF.

The Ashenden et al paper is troubling albeit also somewhat overhyped. Yes, none of the subjects got flagged when on microdoses of EPO, when their HbMass was elevated on average by some 10 %. On the other hand:

- It is partly explained by Hb level being elevated only by some 5.8 %, ie. calculated Hct rising from ~46.6 % to ~49,2 %. This is because there was a noticeable increase in blood volume (+5 %) which concealed the increase in Hb level. It is far from certain if chronically stressed and already hypervolemic elite level athletes have similar increase in BV while on EPO.
- There were no OFF-season ABP-values measured nor alalyzed, and the authors themselves write that likely some their subjects would've been flagged if there had been one or if the sequences were more carefully monitored.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad
Important to remember that Burgos-BH were only Continental level during the period of the passport anomalies so their riders were subject to National anti-doping laws and jurisdiction not International. Also Spain were non-compliant with WADA code during some of this time too I think between 2016 and 2017. Even in 2024 WADA is still finding massive shortcomings in Spain's Anti-Doping for this Olympic year and currently being investigated on several issues related to unmanaged positives, results management, legislation, legal/government interventions, delayed cases and 6 non-sanctioned ABP cases by CELAD.
I think time is running out for Spain and their continual overriding of ABP at legal/government level, put it that way.
Strange that a "Continental" team would be part of a WADA-approved testing pool that allows for ABP monitoring. Is that normal for Continental teams? (WADA has their work cut out with just all the World Pro teams out there. Lol).

Speaking of Ibai Salas Zorrozua of "Burgus BH" here's the details & ABP data from his CAS hearing in 2019 that led to the 4 yr ban for ABP hematological-anomalies:

The three anti-doping experts that reviewed the case & reached an unanimous conclusion were Dr Olaf Schumacher, Prof Guiseppe d'Onofrio & Prof Michel Audran (these three have probably reviewed hundreds of CAS cases together).

In a nutshell, Zorrozua had six (6) samples taken from Jan/2017 through Aug/2017 (all negative for rEPO/ESA). Samples #1 & #4 were flagged for hematological anomalies. Sample #1 had a very high OFF-score of 141.00: (Hgb 17.1 (51.3 Hct) RET% 0.25). According to the report, the baseline OFF-score for Zorrozua was determined to be between 90-100.

The anti-experts concluded that "The likelihood of observing an OFF-score of 141 in an undoped male athlete even considering a "worst case scenario" (i.e. all confounding factors such as altitude in favor of the athlete) is about 1:10,000."

The reports states Zorrozua attended an altitude camp 6 days at 1246m until 5 days before sample #1 collection, and also used an altitude tent simulating 2000m 10 days prior to sample #1.

Last edited:
Strange that a "Continental" team would be part of a WADA-approved testing pool that allows for ABP monitoring. Is that normal for Continental teams? (WADA has their work cut out with just all the World Pro teams out there. Lol).

Speaking of Ibai Salas Zorrozua of "Burgus BH" here's the details & ABP data from his CAS hearing in 2019 that led to the 4 yr ban for ABP hematological-anomalies:

The three anti-doping experts that reviewed the case & reached an unanimous conclusion were Dr Olaf Schumacher, Prof Guiseppe d'Onofrio & Prof Michel Audran (these three have probably reviewed hundreds of CAS cases together).

In a nutshell, Zorrozua had six (6) samples taken from Jan/2017 through Aug/2017 (all negative for rEPO/ESA). Samples #1 & #4 were flagged for hematological anomalies. Sample #1 had a very high OFF-score of 141.00: (Hgb 17.1 (51.3 Hct) RET% 0.25). According to the report, the baseline OFF-score for Zorrozua was determined to be between 90-100.

The anti-experts concluded that "The likelihood of observing an OFF-score of 141 in an undoped male athlete even considering a "worst case scenario" (i.e. all confounding factors such as altitude in favor of the athlete) is about 1:10,000."

The reports states Zorrozua attended an altitude camp 6 days at 1246m until 5 days before sample #1 collection, and also used an altitude tent simulating 2000m 10 days prior to sample #1.
ITA's registered testing pool relates only to 'International' level athlete's whereabouts (a pool of Pro Conti and World Tour riders subject to UCI/ITA out of competition, not Conti level) it has nothing directly to do with the athletes biological passport other than those out of competition test results are included in their ABP record.
But, every NADO also has their own registered testing pool of national-level athletes too (Continental riders) because national level sports governing bodies do not run their own anti-doping systems, their countries NADO does. Testing also crosses NADO boundaries too. e.g. a German NADO could test a Spanish athlete and then CELAD would be responsible for results management or e.g. UKAD could ask CELAD to test a British rider in Spain as part of ABP or target testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastronef
here's Siutsou's partial list of testing View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnV218CAPdX/

you can see La Orotava (north side of Teide)
as I said before, testers don't travel with a nice UCI/WADA gilet. they could fly to Tenerife in the evening, get a hotel, and knock on the Mirador hotel doors at 6 am the following day for the riders testing time slot.
even easier if riders are in Livigno or Sierra Nevada, just drive there for the riders testing time slot
Please correct me if I am wrong, but don't the blood or urine samples have to be sent to lab within x number of hours from being taken by tester. There was an example of MLB player beating a positive because sample was not sent within 24 hrs. I'm not positive of time though. Thanks

I think you mean no ABP anomalies bans since 2014? (I believe there's been several doping positives since then...am I correct?).

I mentioned Olaf Schumacher as one of the top anti-doping experts in the field - he also has expertise in altitude's effect on the ABP. I haven't done much research in this area but Schumacher has co-authored several papers on this subject that you might find interesting.

One paper here looked at a group of highly-trained cyclists - some altitude natives - competing in a 14 day stage race over an average altitude of 8000 ft. There were increases in blood values due to hypoxia with one cyclist even reaching the 99.9% specificity level. However, as the researchers concluded this was not unexpected & the ABP would have been adjusted to account for the anomalies (i.e., no passport anomalies case ban would have been initiated).

Interestingly, I've seen some papers on altitude-native distance runners (e.g. Kenyons) that live & train at altitude year round (> 7000 ft). They have notably high Hcts but upon descending to sea level for competitions these values surprisingly drop pretty quickly to more in line with the values of sea level athletes.
Boy, I had no idea Ohio was that hilly;)

Just kidding. Thank you for some dang good information on all of this. What some of these cyclists are doing is just slightly more advanced than the ol' "finishing bottle"...

Reactions: Nomad