• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Altitude Tent

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
cyclingtips said:
Does anyone have any experience with using an hypoxic tent? I have access to one to borrow and am looking for tips on what to watch out for, potential dangers, if it's a good idea, etc.

thanks

Probably the biggest one is the thing goes wacky, sends you up to 14,000 feet or so and you mort.

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
First of all, I'm no expert and have no education granting any authority on this matter.

To me, altitude tents is a contradiction in itself. I guess the desired effect is to raise the percentage of red bloodcells, thus giving the athlete the benefit of more oxygen being carried around the bloodstream. This is of course beneficial for any athlete, and especially endurance athletes. However, I'm sure, the lack of oxygen during sleep must mean damage to the body's recovery? And recovery is a vital part of effecient training, no? That's the contradiction.
Maybe if you're an elite athlete, very close to your genetic potential, the benefit from altitude tents could give an advantage? But if not, wouldn't the extra workload during training with optimal recovery, be more beneficial?

My last concern with these altitude tents, is that they give athletes a valid explanation to why and how their hematocrit is raising. Could that be the real reason why altitude tents are used? (I hope not)

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
brun sweater said:
My last concern with these altitude tents, is that they give athletes a valid explanation to why and how their hematocrit is raising. Could that be the real reason why altitude tents are used? (I hope not)
Well...you won't raise your HCT from 42 to 49 by using altitude tent.

Altitude tent isn't all that effective.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
You need to load iron in order to see any gains in crit at all... And most of the tents dont work. You have to read the manufacturers specs and read the fine print! Your sleep and training will be crappy and any gains you see would probably just be cancelled out by lowered quality of training.

But... IF your on epo periodic use of a tent might lower the need for using epo. OCC tested Pros on epo with a crit in the high 40s will use the tent to keep a highish crit without having to use excessive epo.

My twitchy finger almost reported the post above because it is an advertisement, but then I decided that it wasn't too much different than one of us posting a link to a product that the OP is asking about.

cyclingtips, did you ever try something?

TRENDING THREADS