• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Altitude

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:
Any evidence what hematocrit level altitude training or altitude LIVING can take you to?

Altitude training can increase hematocrit by 3-4%. I'll have to dig for the papers again, but that's what's been published. Living at altitude year around is probably a different story. I think BroDeal lives above 5000 feet and his hematocrit is just over 50%.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Altitude training can increase hematocrit by 3-4%. I'll have to dig for the papers again, but that's what's been published. Living at altitude year around is probably a different story. I think BroDeal lives above 5000 feet and his hematocrit is just over 50%.

We're at sea level and the best results come from sleeping at 8-10,000'. Two locals do it and have seen an increase of 2-4% of hematocrit. The training at sea level for power is the big payoff. These folks do it year-round. I've suggested they go off the altitude envioro during the recovery period and early winter base miles to see if they get a better increase in strength. No takers at this point but would like anyone else's input. As for BroDeal's over 50%; he'd probably still be high at any elevation.

TRENDING THREADS