• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alto de L'Angliru V Monte Zoncolan. Which climb is harder?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which climb is harder?

• Can't compare

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
First thing's first: there's next to nothing at the top of Errozate. However, you could turn off at Artaburu (very shortly before the summit) and then descend and over a couple of brief climbs (like the Giro stage to Pescocostanzo in 2008) to finish at Hegichouria or even descend into Larrau and finish on the Port de Larrau.

As to Mont du Chat - lots of options as it's just outside Le-Bourget-du-Lac and thus very close to Chambéry.

On the same mountain there is the Col du Chat and the Col d'Épine. To the east there is the Col de la Clusaz, to the north there's Ontex, to the northeast there's the Col du Sapenay, Mont Clergeon, to the south there's the Col du Granier and the Col de la Cluse, and just a little further to the north there's the Col du Grand Colombier.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
First thing's first: there's next to nothing at the top of Errozate. However, you could turn off at Artaburu (very shortly before the summit) and then descend and over a couple of brief climbs (like the Giro stage to Pescocostanzo in 2008) to finish at Hegichouria or even descend into Larrau and finish on the Port de Larrau.

There's next to nothing on Errozate, but there's a way through the top they ride every year at the Irati Xtrem cyclosportive connecting it to the King of the Pyrenees. No need to by-pass the top at Artaburu.

http://www.iratixtrem.com/en/datos_tecnicos.php

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
TDF goes over Sestrieres all the time which is right next to Colle delle Finestre (both Finestre stages have ended on Sestrieres).

In fact they can see it right next to them as they go down Sestrieres.

Zoncolan however is on the other side of the country as is Crostis obviously, about 600km straight line, so as the italians say, forget about it.

Mortirolo Gavia etc are not to far away fron Zoncolan either so you would need about 2 stages in Italy including transfers just to get there.

While the Tour has gone into Spain, on many occasions, I dont think it has ever gone as far as Asturias, where Angiliru is. Again around 600km.

The Tour will probably start in Italy in 2013, so it's possible(but not going to happen) that they include Zoncolan in the Tour.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
The Tour will probably start in Italy in 2013, so it's possible(but not going to happen) that they include Zoncolan in the Tour.

You don't get mountains in the tour before stage 12. Starting in Italy means no Italian climbs.

Besides that, wasn't 2013 when a start in Corsica was planned for?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Genuine question, I thought Corsica had it almost nailed for the 2013 TDF start. I know in 2014 Florence is hoping to get the start as it will celebrate 100 years since the birth of Gino Bartali. Unless that is what you meant, then carry on :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Genuine question, I thought Corsica had it almost nailed for the 2013 TDF start. I know in 2014 Florence is hoping to get the start as it will celebrate 100 years since the birth of Gino Bartali. Unless that is what you meant, then carry on :p

Yeah, it was 2014.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
What I looooove too is how, every year, someone makes it a point to paint "El infierno empieza aquí" ("hell begins here") on the road right before the first 20% ramp.

That's when not knowing Spanish comes in handy.

Señor_Contador said:
What I looooove too is how, every year, someone makes it a point to paint "El infierno empieza aquí" ("hell begins here") on the road right before the first 20% ramp.

That's when not knowing Spanish comes in handy.

Zoncolan has something very similar.

This marks the beginning of the mountain

DSC05981.JPG

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Angliru slightly longer, Zoncolan steeper overall.

Depends if your riding riding in cool conditions or baking heat and the condition of the road.. Probably go with Contador's opinion on this.

sublimit said:
Depends if your riding riding in cool conditions or baking heat and the condition of the road.. Probably go with Contador's opinion on this.

I asked the question if there was any who had tried these climbs. No reply. Just to keep the momentum of a discussion going, statistics, procents and name-dropping of other climbs have been flying around from the Zoncolan-fanboys just to avoid the simple fact that the best climber of his generation doesn´t agree with them

It looks though (watching the poll) as if the armchair-cyclists wins the contest.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Both of these climbs are comparably difficult. To draw a comparison on which is the most difficult is to a degree irrelevant. At the end of the day the question of which is the most arduous will result only in an opinionated conclusion. With no room for a definitive answer.

No_Balls said:
I asked the question if there was any who had tried these climbs. No reply.

Just to keep the momentum of a discussion going, statistics, procents and name-dropping of other climbs have been flying around from the Zoncolan-fanboys just to avoid the simple fact that the best climber of his generation doesn´t agree with them

It looks though (watching the poll) as if the armchair-cyclists wins the contest

Oh come on.

First of all its a bit rich for you of all people to label others fanboys no?

Second of all, as was pointed out, Contador said one thing, Gibo said another. Contador may be the best but Gibo won both.

as for this bit

Just to keep the momentum of a discussion going, statistics, procents and name-dropping of other climbs have been flying around from the Zoncolan-fanboys just to avoid the simple fact that the best climber of his generation doesn´t agree with them

You complain that we use statistics to compare 2 climbs rather than bow to Contadors opinion?

Seriously?

Do gradients of climbs mean nothing then?

In the end this argument for authority is pretty weak. Contador is a better climber hence he must be right?

Umm no.

Pele doesnt know **** about football. Mercx doesnt know **** about cycling.

A lot of Spanish climbers say stupid things.

So forgive those of us who dont just roll over just because Contador (a Spaniard) said the Spanish mountain was harder.

It looks though (watching the poll) as if the armchair-cyclists wins the contest

Do you only read selective comments. Simoni was hardly an armchair cyclist was he?

Why is Gibos opinion unworthy?

Its a bit of an insult to say armchair cyclists are winning because they dont agree with you.

And this bit is funny too. When you first posted you didnt know that Contador had chosen Angirilu but you still said that the mountain in your country was harder

No_Balls said:
Too me they both looks brutal with a slight edge to Angliru given the outright "insane parts".

Anyone with the knowledge about the likes of Contador (who have ridden both) and their comparison with the different climbs?

But now you look down on those who make their choice without Contadors consultation.

And while your at it, go to the RVV vs PR discussion, pick your favourite rider there (some say Rvv is harder, some say PR) then attack everyone else for not agreering with them.

May 29, 2011
Visit site
No_Balls said:
I asked the question if there was any who had tried these climbs. No reply. Just to keep the momentum of a discussion going, statistics, procents and name-dropping of other climbs have been flying around from the Zoncolan-fanboys just to avoid the simple fact that the best climber of his generation doesn´t agree with them

It looks though (watching the poll) as if the armchair-cyclists wins the contest.

I rode 'em both, read post #40, this thread. Thanks,

The Hitch said:
Oh come on.

First of all its a bit rich for you of all people to label others fanboys no?

You have to separate the liking for a rider with that of a climb. Of course, it is a different matter. I am a fan of Zoncolan as well, but since i have not ridden it, i wont say how hard it is compared with another climb. Gentlemen, please.

Second of all, as was pointed out, Contador said one thing, Gibo said another. Contador may be the best but Gibo won both.

Yes, i know what Gibo said. And its all right. But Contador is in another league and i really do think that Contador is in another position to speak about hard climbs then Gibo about this matter. He will still be a proud spaniard, being the best. Gibo is just one of the best (if not the best) italian speaking up his climb.

You complain that we use statistics to compare 2 climbs rather than bow to Contadors opinion?

You dont have to bow for his opinion. I just have his words into the discussion given how he probably can handle both pretty good. And since he is the only one, bar one, who have a opinion about both, you just cant ignore it can you?

Do gradients of climbs mean nothing then?

Yes, of course it does. The only thing we know for certain is that Angliru is longer (with a steeper section) but the Zoncolan is steeper overall. How the hell is we going to figure out which one is the tougher when both seems pretty damn nasty on paper, after thinking about it a while?

In the end this argument for authority is pretty weak. Contador is a better climber hence he must be right?

Yes, he might be wrong (for whatever reasons) but why cant he be right? I have done my climbs and miles in the days but compared to him, i could be considered a armchair-cyclist, so i can just figure how it would be doing the Zoncolan and Angliru.

So forgive those of us who dont just roll over just because Contador (a Spaniard) said the Spanish mountain was harder.

Dear, Hitch, i know you are not biased and all that, but all this depends on Gibo being the most balanced and un-italian given his statements about Zoncolan. I asked if a neutral cyclist have tried them both and i got my answer (i didnt vote before that which has to be said).

How the hell did climbs within a specific border has anything to do with national pride to begin with?

Do you only read selective comments. Simoni was hardly an armchair cyclist was he?

Why is Gibos opinion unworthy?

No of course not, but as i said, they are both italian and suddenly the spaniard argument became unvalid because Angliru was a "spanish climb". That is ridiculous. Contador, just by being Contador, could always say that Zoncolan is harder and yet his spanish compatriots would know know that he is spaniard and still the best. He is in a different position to judge.

Its a bit of an insult to say armchair cyclists are winning because they dont agree with you.

I dont like the term armchair cyclist and i am the first to admit i am one comparing to the likes of Contador, Nibali, Simeoni....No harm intented. I respect everyone at this forum and its from the heart. I have not ridden these climbs, though, and wouldnt take as easy at the authorities opinion about it as have been done IMO.

And this bit is funny too. When you first posted you didnt know that Contador had chosen Angirilu but you still said that the mountain in your country was harder

This is bull****. I didnt vote before i knew what the likes of Contador said about Zoncolan vs Angliru because i simply cant imagine how it is riding up these climbs. Compare this attitude with the likes of Zoncolan fanboys who just voted because they "like the climb".

But now you look down on those who make their choice without Contadors consultation.

No, i do not. However, this poll is about which one is harder, not about which climb you like.

And while your at it, go to the RVV vs PR discussion, pick your favourite rider there (some say Rvv is harder, some say PR) then attack everyone else for not agreering with them.

Ey man, this is about different opinions after all. It might look like a "attack" but it is just for fun. I like both climbs and have no problem if Zoncolan win this contest (you should not take Contadors opinion that easy though). :)

no crostis said:
The day before the 2009 race, I went up Angrilu in a heavy rain. Started raining as I stepped out of my car in La Vega, rained harder all the way up. Used a 39-27 gear. No stops, except when my foot came off pedal on the hard part. I had to clip in one side, lean on the rock, clip in other foot to get started again! That section is called 23.5%. At the bottom back in La Vega, I ordered a glass of wine and a donut. A guy offered to pay for it, and we talked. He was/is Checu Rubiera's uncle. Obviously he's a local Asturian, and said that section is really 27% but they don't claim it to keep UCI from not allowing it.

2010 Giro, I did the Zoncolan, 34-27 gear. (my mechanic convinced me to drop to the compact). Again, no stops; but easier gear.

I voted them equally difficult.

Zoncolan from Priola is/may be, way harder than from Sutrio, and may be harder than from Ovaro. This year I went up Z. from Sutrio on race day, and was told by local lady that Priola is the hardest way up. I'll have to wait to find that out. I had to leave area before I could try it. This lady said locals want to try to get the Giro to use Priola, which is just 2-3 k south of Sutrio, fyi.

Damn you earned that donut.

Good read. Thanks for posting.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The newly to be build Dutch mountain will be harder than Zoncolan and Angliru combined :cool:

I would love that. Especially if there was no actual mountain, just an engineering marvel of a road that climbs to over 1000m altitude from sea level, on struts.

You could even have a roof on it, and make it into a mountain velodrome! It'd make me care a lot more about Six Days, I can tell you that!

TRENDING THREADS