• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Am i blind???

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9371&status=True&catname=Latest News

omegaqqq.jpg

Olivier Kaisen not wearing helmet straps?? Is this allowed? Or was it a blunder on the officials behalf?

Thoughts and clarification on this would be appreciated.

Cheers Julian

A

Anonymous

Got good facial tan lines though.

Dunno. My hunch is the straps have been removed from the photo.

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
my guess is that, due to the fact that it was an uphill timetrial he didn't want to wear a helmet, since helmet is compulsory, he took the straps off and hoped no body noticed, no body in the start house did so he rode like that.

if the riders were allowed to not wear a helmet, then we would've seen very few yesterday.

Marcus135 said:
Looks really weird... I dont see the deal some riders have with helmets tho, i kinda like wearing them.

I would be surprised if many of the pros aren't totally obsessive about the weight of their bike and accessories, and a bike helmet does weigh a couple hundred grams or so. I have no idea to how many seconds that translates on a stage like yesterday, but I would bet it makes a hell of a lot more difference than replacing steel bolts with titanium ones or whether to use an aluminium or carbon seatpost and stuff like that.

spalco said:
I would be surprised if many of the pros aren't totally obsessive about the weight of their bike and accessories, and a bike helmet does weigh a couple hundred grams or so. I have no idea to how many seconds that translates on a stage like yesterday, but I would bet it makes a hell of a lot more difference than replacing steel bolts with titanium ones or whether to use an aluminium or carbon seatpost and stuff like that.

My own helmet weighs 222 g, and that's not even an expensive version.
A top-end helmet shouldn't weigh more than 200 g, probably much less.

Maybe they should include the weight of the helmet in the 6,8 kg lower limit for bikes?

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Fus, what's your model?

The latest Giro Aeon on size M weighted 209 gramms, and it's top of the range (the Specialized S works must be in a similar 200-250 gramms in size M, can't recall by memory).
For go under 200 gramms you must get the Small sizes.

Actually, the rules do allow for riders not to wear helmets on a mountain time trial thanks to some slightly bizarre wording, because the riders are alone and solely going uphill so it is considered that there is little risk. Nobody ever actually rocks up without a helmet though.

Michele said:
Fus, what's your model?

The latest Giro Aeon on size M weighted 209 gramms, and it's top of the range (the Specialized S works must be in a similar 200-250 gramms in size M, can't recall by memory).
For go under 200 gramms you must get the Small sizes.

Specialized Chamonix, medium size.
Got it for free when I bought my current bike.:)
Quality helmet, I don't notice it when wearing it, good ventilation.

I just assumed high-end models would be lighter, but maybe they're not - the more expensive Specialized models have carbon parts, maybe that weighs more than the styropor.:confused:

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Actually, the rules do allow for riders not to wear helmets on a mountain time trial thanks to some slightly bizarre wording, because the riders are alone and solely going uphill so it is considered that there is little risk.

Really? I had no idea, and I'm surprised more of them don't take advantage if that's right. A few years ago I think they used to be allowed remove their helmets for the last climb when a race/stage ended on a hill. You don't see them do it these days so I presume the rule was changed: is that right?

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Splintered said:
Really? I had no idea, and I'm surprised more of them don't take advantage if that's right. A few years ago I think they used to be allowed remove their helmets for the last climb when a race/stage ended on a hill. You don't see them do it these days so I presume the rule was changed: is that right?

I didn't think you could do it any more. 2004 TdF Alpe TT is the last time I remember them not being used

Marcus135 said:
Looks really weird... I dont see the deal some riders have with helmets tho, i kinda like wearing them.

I don´t necessarily like wearing helmets, but a lot of pros don´t wear helmets when out training and the older guys who raced without helmets, before the rules changed, just don´t like them. When I climb big mtns in the heat of the summer, I take my helmet off.

Splintered said:

will10 said:
I didn't think you could do it any more. 2004 TdF Alpe TT is the last time I remember them not being used

The rule was indeed changed to stop riders from being allowed to remove their helmets on the last climb.

However, as a loophole, in a mountain ITT it's theoretically possible because the riders are separate. But nobody thinks to do it. I remember this being discussed at the Kronplatz ITT last year.

TRENDING THREADS