• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amgen Tour of California 2019, May 12-18

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
wheresmybrakes said:
I wouldn't accept the judges decision and take the time loss if I knew it was outside the 3k marker. This is wrong. If TJ or his team complained to the judges, they're as bad as the judges.

I don't agree with that. Teams want to please their sponsors and TJ in the jersey and on the podium is the best way to do it. It might not go down well with us here but we're a tiny minority of the people watching. It's the judges who are most at fault here.

I don't agree with the decision, but Moscon benefited too. And he's just as likely to win the race as TJVG, maybe even more so. So not sure it was homerism. I suspect buried deep inside the UCI rulebook you'll find a clause to the effect that juries have some latitude when it comes to these things.

TJ has been handed a gift. Let's see what he does with it.

wheresmybrakes said:
I wouldn't accept the judges decision and take the time loss if I knew it was outside the 3k marker. This is wrong. If TJ or his team complained to the judges, they're as bad as the judges.

Absolutely not. The team should do everything it can for its riders. It makes complete sense to say "we could see the 3 KM sign" and hope that the UCI agrees that it was close enough to 3 KM.

That being said, I don't like the decision unless there is a 'rule exception' that I'm not aware of.

I'm not buying the homer complaints either, this is just typical bad UCI officials.

Mr. Le Fevre, although a great promoter, and coach has no say here. Although I believe rules are rules, in this case the correct decision was made. The crash around the 3km mark hampered TJs catch. On the otherhand Moscon did not have a chance in hades, and benefitted from the judges decision.

This Charming Man said:
Mr. Le Fevre, although a great promoter, and coach has no say here. Although I believe rules are rules, in this case the correct decision was made. The crash around the 3km mark hampered TJs catch. On the otherhand Moscon did not have a chance in hades, and benefitted from the judges decision.

So what you're saying is: Rules are rules, but in this case rules are not rules. Is that it?

This Charming Man said:
If you believe rules are rules then you would not think of this outcome as a correct decision. The two points of view are, logically, mutually exclusive.

This Charming Man said:

Ehm....... the "rule" is, that the cut off point is the 3 k sign.

So, the rule was not followed buddy....... and you might want to re-examine your comment ;)

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
RedheadDane said:
Honestly, I feel a bit sorry for Tejay. Getting so much flak for a jury decision?

He's getting flak from about 5 posters on a cycling forum (maybe more elsewhere on the web). People on the roadside will be screaming his name and happy he's in the jersey still. I'm sure he'll be fine.

But it is not just 5 people. Check other websites, check Twitter, etc. There are A LOT of people who dont like this decision.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I was bummed when TJ crashed, then blew through the corner, then got held up by another crash, but that is cycling. I totally do not understand the jury decision. Definitely makes a farce of the race and sport...

More incompetence from the race organizers:
12:48:57 MDT

The men are more than 30 minutes ahead of the fastest predicted schedule, and organisers are afraid they'll run into the women's race. The women's finish is scheduled for 2:56pm local time, with the men coming in at 3:43pm. But at their current clip, they're on track to finish just minutes after the women.

Re:

Lequack said:

The men are more than 30 minutes ahead of the fastest predicted schedule, and organisers are afraid they'll run into the women's race. The women's finish is scheduled for 2:56pm local time, with the men coming in at 3:43pm. But at their current clip, they're on track to finish just minutes after the women.
I don’t see that as incompetence by the organizers. Didn’t we have the reverse situation in one of the Classics this year where the women were catching up to the men and the women had to be delayed? Just an element of racing on public roads and the nature of rolling road closures within a limited time frame.

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Lequack said:

I don’t see that as incompetence by the organizers. Didn’t we have the reverse situation in one of the Classics this year where the women were catching up to the men and the women had to be delayed? Just an element of racing on public roads and the nature of rolling road closures within a limited time frame.

It happens because of bad planning on the part of the organizers. To get it that wrong is their fault.

TRENDING THREADS