• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Amnesty urgently required for Landis names...

I have no doubt that most, if not all, of the names Landis named were active dopers. However the way the rules work at the moment there's no incentive for them to fess up because they'll immediately get slammed with a 2 year ban.
For example Sky's Michael Barry and Garmin's Zabriskie both have every incentive to keep schtum. But offer them an amnesty for past misdeeds and we might finally get closer to cleaning up the sport and settling once and for all any lingering doubts anyone has that Armstrong doped his way to all his TdF victories!
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,854
1
0
Visit site
but what about guys like Landis and Hamilton, who have been blacklisted. Should they be given an invitation back. How does this reconcile with the blacklist that exists?
 
Landis & Hamilton...

blackcat said:
but what about guys like Landis and Hamilton, who have been blacklisted.

Well a full confession is to my mind part way to redemption. So yes I would say Landis has been punished more than enough & deserves a chance for the last few years of his career. Hamilton is already retired so it's too late for him.
 
Nov 24, 2009
1,602
0
0
Visit site
Hamilton retired because he got an 8 year ban on top of the two year ban for the offense that you are proposing others get immunity from, just because they were not caught at the time.
 
benlondon said:
I have no doubt that most, if not all, of the names Landis named were active dopers. However the way the rules work at the moment there's no incentive for them to fess up because they'll immediately get slammed with a 2 year ban.
For example Sky's Michael Barry and Garmin's Zabriskie both have every incentive to keep schtum. But offer them an amnesty for past misdeeds and we might finally get closer to cleaning up the sport and settling once and for all any lingering doubts anyone has that Armstrong doped his way to all his TdF victories!

If they cooperate it would only be a one year ban.

According to D!ck Pound there are provisions in the WADA code for giving amnesty.

The biggest worry for the riders might be whether they would be accepted back into the elite ranks of the sport. They could end up riding around city blocks in America like FLandis.
 
BroDeal said:
If they cooperate it would only be a one year ban.

According to D!ck Pound there are provisions in the WADA code for giving amnesty.

The biggest worry for the riders might be whether they would be accepted back into the elite ranks of the sport. They could end up riding around city blocks in America like FLandis.

The concern is not sporting sanctions but criminal sanctions. Most will accept the immunity of federal charges and provide evidence. This has gone well beyond that of sanction for a sporting context. This is serious *** now.
 
May 26, 2010
28,143
5
0
Visit site
thehog said:
The concern is not sporting sanctions but criminal sanctions. Most will accept the immunity of federal charges and provide evidence. This has gone well beyond that of sanction for a sporting context. This is serious *** now.

it's about time that sport PED/Doping be made a criminal offence under fraud in all western countries with prison sentences mandatory...
 
benlondon said:
I have no doubt that most, if not all, of the names Landis named were active dopers. However the way the rules work at the moment there's no incentive for them to fess up because they'll immediately get slammed with a 2 year ban.
For example Sky's Michael Barry and Garmin's Zabriskie both have every incentive to keep schtum. But offer them an amnesty for past misdeeds and we might finally get closer to cleaning up the sport and settling once and for all any lingering doubts anyone has that Armstrong doped his way to all his TdF victories!

ROFLMAO...........dude.........all the TDF winners for over 20yrs have been dopers..............wake the hell up
 
Jun 16, 2009
647
0
0
Visit site
Wheels Go Round and Round said:
ROFLMAO...........dude.........all the TDF winners for over 20yrs have been dopers..............wake the hell up

But none of them have been as brazenly obnoxious and corrupt as Lance. Some were even nice guys who didn't go around ruining the lives of anyone who didn't believe in them. I hear a few of them even didn't go as far as using the fluctuating hopes of the sick and the dying to try and become morally beyond reproach.
 
Mongol_Waaijer said:
But none of them have been as brazenly obnoxious and corrupt as Lance. Some were even nice guys who didn't go around ruining the lives of anyone who didn't believe in them. I hear a few of them even didn't go as far as using the fluctuating hopes of the sick and the dying to try and become morally beyond reproach.

so what you are really saying is this............be a doper but do it quietly.......


GOTCHA;)
 
Jun 16, 2009
647
0
0
Visit site
Wheels Go Round and Round said:
so what you are really saying is this............be a doper but do it quietly.......


GOTCHA;)

I'm saying don't be a narcissistic sociopath hell bent on controlling the sport entirely in your own interest, at whatever cost.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Wheels Go Round and Round said:
so what you are really saying is this............be a doper but do it quietly.......


GOTCHA;)


No, he's saying that everyone should confess to doping and receive immunity except Lance. Because, afterall, this whole thing is about the witch hunt for LA's head.
 
Gee333 said:
No, he's saying that everyone should confess to doping and receive immunity except Lance. Because, afterall, this whole thing is about the witch hunt for LA's head.

I would say this is spot on for the most part

you would have to be a total moron to think these guys are not all doped up......
 
Sep 22, 2009
137
0
0
Visit site
Today 17:09
Wheels Go Round and Round
Quote:
ROFLMAO...........dude.........all the TDF winners for over 20yrs have been dopers..............wake the hell up

Dude, can't say I don't agree but did you even read the OP? You just sound like a little kid..
 
Jun 16, 2009
647
0
0
Visit site
Wheels Go Round and Round said:
thank you..........another doper who won tours:D

your logic is idiotic.

It's a bit like a major criminal being caught, and then people saying "oh there were lots of others who were doing similar in the past and never got caught, so let's let this guy off too, even though he did worse than them"

The difference is that many of those guys have admitted it, or just keep quiet and have gotten on with their lives. They aren't going around acting like a saint and threatening and punishing anyone who dares to question them, and few (if any of them) are continuing to get rich as a consequence of their dishonesty.
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
But none of them have been as brazenly obnoxious and corrupt as Lance. Some were even nice guys who didn't go around ruining the lives of anyone who didn't believe in them. I hear a few of them even didn't go as far as using the fluctuating hopes of the sick and the dying to try and become morally beyond reproach.

Why are you interfering with manlove?:eek:
 

TRENDING THREADS