• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel Gold Race -18th April -257km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Gesink didn't have it today, seemed to improve towards the end though. Did most of the chasing in that larger group for friere. But that being said I didn't think he would do well here, AGR isn't really his kinda race imo.

I still think he will do well at F-W.

Really???

Now you're just being the Dutch version of ACF.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Gilbert's ability to attack frequently and recover quickly really shone through today, and he used it to his advantage.

yup, he was excellent. Not a rider more worthy imo.

Moondance said:
Really???

Now you're just being the Dutch version of ACF.

:D

yeah i know :eek: But the race does suit him a tad more.
I don't think he will win, But I expect more.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Gesink didn't have it today, seemed to improve towards the end though. Did most of the chasing in that larger group for friere. But that being said I didn't think he would do well here, AGR isn't really his kinda race imo.

I still think he will do well at F-W.

Still don't understand why they would work for freire because the last century he has consistently proven he can't win AGR... Gesink struggled too much on some of the climbs. Wonder what explanation he has today...

Great ride though by Gilbert. Evans seems fit for LBL/Fleche... so it could be a great week again!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Sheep said:
I said Martens would be the best Rabo :cool:

He impressed me again.

Martens has joined the ranks of the better riders in the peloton this year. When the race is difficult, with lots of hills, he is competitive. Is he Freire's replacement after his retirement, because he sprint well too.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Still don't understand why they would work for freire because the last century he has consistently proven he can't win AGR... Gesink struggled too much on some of the climbs. Wonder what explanation he has today...

Great ride though by Gilbert. Evans seems fit for LBL/Fleche... so it could be a great week again!

Yeah my thoughts exactly. He was never gonna stay with the best in that finale.

As for gesink, I just don't think he had a good day... maybe still feeling it a bit from the fall last week.. I dunno. He struggled a lot between 30-10km I thought.
rabobank had a poor race again I thought.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Martens has joined the ranks of the better riders in the peloton this year. When the race is difficult, with lots of hills, he is competitive. Is he Freire's replacement after his retirement, because he sprint well too.

Yup he is really making some solid progress.
Will win something big in the next couple years imo.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree that Cadel probably doesn't have the kick to win a sprint up the Mur, but the way he rode today he has a good chance of getting away solo or with a smaller group and powering to the finish.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
PS: I wonder who's gonna start a threat on Gilbert's GT chances or how doped he won the Amstel:mad:

LOL, why? He didn't take 2-3 minutes out of the peloton riding into the wind. :p

Spartacus is back at the gas station (refills need to be re-acquired/restocked).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I agree that Cadel probably doesn't have the kick to win a sprint up the Mur, but the way he rode today he has a good chance of getting away solo or with a smaller group and powering to the finish.

I rate his chances better at F-W then L-B-L

Jamsque said:

He's definitely got a shot. He's already been in the top 10 a few times and picked up 2nd a couple of years ago. I've always thought Cadel had a good climber sprint.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Will Gasparatto continue to the tour?

With him, Ignatieff, and maybe Vino, it bodes well for Bertie and his shootout with the Shack at the Tour. What's interesting here is that Shack/Bruyneel's party line was Bertie was left all alone for being a "bad boy" :rolleyes:, and now has a non-existent team.

Not so. Things are not quite going according to form for Shack vs. Astana. :D

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Midweek I'd look out for Gilbert again and Martens, Leukemans. maybe Ignatiev.

I dont think Evans has the punch to get away, though he did look decent today.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Justifies Ryder Hesjedal's drive up from Spain.

Maybe the car is not a form of transport that is so detrimental to performance as some suspected.

I would say it depends on the person. Will hit some worse then others.

top 10

1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
2 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Transitions
3 Enrico Gasparotto (Ita) Astana
4 Bert De Waele (Bel) Landbouwkrediet
5 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas-Doimo
6 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
7 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank
8 Marco Marcato (Ita) Vacansoleil Pro Cycling Team
9 Karsten Kroon (Ned) BMC Racing Team
10 Christopher Horner (USA) Team Radioshack

Kroon in top 10 after all.