• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel Gold Race: April 21st, 2019

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Amstel Gold Race 2019?

• Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Julian Alaphilippe

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Mathieu van der Poel

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Michael Matthews

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Michael Valgren

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Michal Kwiatkowski

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Philippe Gilbert

• Tim Wellens

• Other

Votes: 10 11.2%

• Total voters
reminds me of merckx tracking down thevenet in LBL in 1975.

thevenet was away and clear and no one from the group could be seen...

and then out of nowhere the rainbow stripes appeared and won the two up sprint.

also similarities in the fact that MVP is very generous with his efforts. Merckx was too and often dragged better sprinters than he to the line (in 1975 in the Fleche Brabanconne and Fleche Wallonne he dragged Verbeeck and Dierickx the entire way and got beat in sprints).

i have been watching cycling since 1971. this is the closest i have seen to pure merckx.

LeChuck said:
In post race interviews fuglsang doesn't seem too happy with the strategy the team told him to use.
Of course not, he didn't win. He could have maybe played it to perfection had he worked just slightly more, but hindsight is wonderful and even at the pace they were going I don't think anyone expected a 40 second gap to be closed in less than 2km. Both him and alaphlippe's tactics had sound logic behind them, but ultimately they didn't work out. Cycling is a sport with very fine margins at times, and that's especially the case with this new Amstel course.

Ala had it... Should have just taken the lead and done the work. He didnt even need to go that hard at the front to just maintain a gap big enough to win.

He should know he could beat Fuglsang in a sprint anyway. With ease. Even if he might have been really tired.

Feel like he threw it away, lol

Hilarious ending to the race, and great for MVDP :)

Salvarani said:
Ala had it... Should have just taken the lead and done the work. He didnt even need to go that hard at the front to just maintain a gap big enough to win.

He should know he could beat Fuglsang in a sprint anyway. With ease. Even if he might have been really tired.

Well, he didn't beat Fuglsang in the sprint, though.

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Fuglsang and Alaphilippe should have waited for Trentin and Kwiatkowski on the Cauberg.

That was the first nail hammered on the coffin.

In retrospect maybe, but who can blame the Alaphilippe (who, and I quote Karsten Kroon, Dutch commenter on Eurosport, would win a sprint with Fuglsang with one leg) not want to sprint for the win against Trentin and Kwatkovski?

tobydawq said:
Salvarani said:

In the context of my post that it would have been only the two of them. Ala would have won I think. Unless totally spent. Which I dont think he was.

Probably didnt put in all the effort when he saw he couldnt win anyway after MVDP went past them.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Screecher said:
jaylew said:
This is becoming really annoying. What has happened to this forum? It doesn't work about 30% of the time, no matter what machine or browser I use. So frustrating during big moments like this.
It seems to crash when there's too much traffic.

Too much traffic LOL

this forum has two dozens active users and the site goes down every time more than 50 users logs on.

Geeze, every $5/month hosting can do better than this ... :cool:

Salvarani said:
tobydawq said:
Salvarani said:

In the context of my post that it would have been only the two of them. Ala would have won I think. Unless totally spent. Which I dont think he was.

Probably didnt put in all the effort when he saw he couldnt win anyway after MVDP went past them.

yeah you never know, but I strongly suspect Ala would have won this way. Fuglsang did too, obviously.

D4sVFC5WwAAzd-O.jpg:large

I wasn't online, but I watched the final live. My opinion: incredible race with surprise outcome. It reminded me of Argentin in LBL 1987, when he popped up from behind the cars to beat Criq and Roche - but this was even more surprising. MvdP was impressive, especially with those in his wheel not being able to overtake him in the sprint. I think Fuglsang made the logical decision, not taking over anymore in the final 3.5 km, hoping to have a chance in the sprint. I think Alaf made a tactical error by slowing down too early. He should have pushed on until 800 m before the finish and slowed down then, to avoid launching Fuglsang in the sprint. I think he would have won that sprint in a normal situation. But well, for armchair cyclists it's always easy to explain afterwards what someone should have done. Great win for MvdP; this race will be talked about for years. I feel sorry for Alaf and Fuglsang, but I'm sure we'll see them back in the Ardennes.

Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
Screecher said:
jaylew said:
This is becoming really annoying. What has happened to this forum? It doesn't work about 30% of the time, no matter what machine or browser I use. So frustrating during big moments like this.
It seems to crash when there's too much traffic.

Too much traffic LOL

this forum has two dozens active users and the site goes down every time more than 50 users logs on.

Geeze, every $5/month hosting can do better than this ... :cool:
Never used to be a problem, even when it was a more active. Don't know what's changed...

TRENDING THREADS