• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

WgUxxvaY_400x400.jpg

FP_lHKrXIAskf3V

1500x500

Most of the women favorites are back racing the Amstel Gold. Can Cavalli repeat her last year's feat and win it? Can Vos repeat her 2021 victory? I'm sure SD Works will not want that to happen.

Notable rider: Cavalli, Vos, Van Anrooij, Van Vleuten, Vollering, Longo Borghini, Persico, Kopecky, Lippert, Brown, Ludwig, Balsamo, Labous

xBfdXft.png

Live video stream available on Eurosport/GCN.

aFKmVsn.png

Full startlist (not yet final):

Map:

2023-02-06_AGR_Detailed_Map_Elite_Women.png

Profile:

XqVLlgO.png

Last edited:
I think the longer route will make it impossible for anyone to beat Van Vleuten, unless her bad luck continues on Sunday.

It'll be interesting to see if Kopecky can be competitive here and for how long Wiebes and Cavalli will be able to hold on.

My prediction:
  1. AVV
  2. Vollering
  3. Lippert

One of the many podiums I'd like to see:
  1. Chabbey
  2. Baril
  3. Doebel-Hickok

I think the longer route will make it impossible for anyone to beat Van Vleuten, unless her bad luck continues on Sunday.

It'll be interesting to see if Kopecky can be competitive here and for how long Wiebes and Cavalli will be able to hold on.

My prediction:
  1. AVV
  2. Vollering
  3. Lippert
  1. Chabbey
  2. Baril
  3. Doebel-Hickok
I think Vollering will run her close - her results this season are outrageously good and the team is great. Also there’s no long climbs like she got dropped out last July.

That short flat run-in is always a deadly thing, it has proven more decisive than the Cauberg in recent years. Yes, I'm still salty about Elisa and Kasia taking an advanced class with Domenico Pozzovivo about how to come 5th in a 2 man sprint.

Also Keutenberg forever! Bemelerberg never!

While I understand the logistical challenges of having two races on the same day in an area like this, it's unfortunate that the route here is still stuck with the Cauberg circuit and finish. At least it's not the WC route. But it seems to me that it should still be possible to have the same final 50 km as the men without the two races interfering, and of course at the very least the same final 5 km.

Finishing around 14:30, I hope they won't be much slower, as the men are expected to reach the finish-line the first time at 15:05. Hmm, I guess it's not a problem, last year the last finisher was 12'07'' down.

While I understand the logistical challenges of having two races on the same day in an area like this, it's unfortunate that the route here is still stuck with the Cauberg circuit and finish. At least it's not the WC route. But it seems to me that it should still be possible to have the same final 50 km as the men without the two races interfering, and of course at the very least the same final 5 km.

Finishing around 14:30, I hope they won't be much slower, as the men are expected to reach the finish-line the first time at 15:05. Hmm, I guess it's not a problem, last year the last finisher was 12'07'' down.

We'll see how the added 27 km will affect the average speed, but the last riders should be able to finish before 15:00.

Was there any talk about her doing the race last year? Given how strong she was in Strade, I'd think she could be competitive here as well? Or did the change of dates with Roubaix rule that out?

I don't remember there being talk about it, but I'm sure the team hadn't expected her to be able to perform that well before the start of the season either. SDW also had Van den Broek-Blaak and Moolman-Pasio then which made it harder for her to get a spot for the race.

She hasn't officially ridden AGR before, but she finished 12th in the Holland Hills Classic in 2016, which was pretty much the same race, but with the finish being at the top of Geulhemmerberg instead.

My prediction:
  1. AVV
  2. Vollering
  3. Lippert
  1. Chabbey
  2. Baril
  3. Doebel-Hickok
Van Vleuten has never won the Amstel Gold Race. I'm not sure why this year she would suddenly be the out and out favourite. It's not really a course that suits her.

Van Vleuten has never won the Amstel Gold Race. I'm not sure why this year she would suddenly be the out and out favourite. It's not really a course that suits her.

Usually the harder a race gets, the more it will benefit her, and she's often bounced back when people have doubted her. She's had very bad luck this year, so we don't really know her current strength, but with a stronger team to support her this year, she'll be less vulnerable to the SD Worx attacks (on paper at least).

That said, I could also very well see a scenario where Liane Lippert ends up winning because she either wins the sprint or makes a counter attack after Van Vleuten has hammered the final Cauberg without getting a gap of her own.

Usually the harder a race gets, the more it will benefit her, and she's often bounced back when people have doubted her. She's had very bad luck this year, so we don't really know her current strength, but with a stronger team to support her this year, she'll be less vulnerable to the SD Worx attacks (on paper at least).

That said, I could also very well see a scenario where Liane Lippert ends up winning because she either wins the sprint or makes a counter attack after Van Vleuten has hammered the final Cauberg without getting a gap of her own.
She'll try, but so far the Cauberg hasn't been kind to her. It's too short. She can't drop the competition, and then it becomes difficult. So yeah, Liane Lippert may be a good option.

She'll try, but so far the Cauberg hasn't been kind to her. It's too short. She can't drop the competition, and then it becomes difficult. So yeah, Liane Lippert may be a good option.

There's no doubt that the climbs aren't long enough for her liking and the extra 35 minutes might not be enough for her to make a difference this time either, but I assume she'll be highly motivated knowing it'll be her last chance to win it. But we'll see how it goes.

The Dutch stream is set to begin in 10 minutes, but I'm not sure if they'll have live oictures right from the start. They'll hit Eyserbosweg in about 10 km. A strong group with Vos, Labous, Fisher-Black, Le Net, Erić, Brand and Stultiens has broken away, but will probably be caught again soon.