• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amy Winehouse found dead

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
Usually the managers and other folk around the artist are to blame for this stuff. They want to milk them dry and put them on the road even when they should be staying away from all that crap until they can rehabilitate.

I don't know that it's fair to blame her handlers for this, ummm, 'inevitability' (anyone who uses the word 'tragedy' for this after the events in Norway should be ashamed), because I got the impression that Amy herself had nothing but contempt for the concept of 'Rehab'. I can't really explain why I think this, it's just one of those feelings you get.... ;)

Rouetheday said:
I don't know that it's fair to blame her handlers for this, ummm, 'inevitability' (anyone who uses the word 'tragedy' for this after the events in Norway should be ashamed), because I got the impression that Amy herself had nothing but contempt for the concept of 'Rehab'. I can't really explain why I think this, it's just one of those feelings you get.... ;)

A person who dies far too young because they could never get onto the rails, a wasted talent, who falls from grace so spectacularly sordidly... it is tragic, on a personal level. She cuts a tragic figure, somebody whose success pointed pride in refusing to seek the help she so desperately needed.

In comparison to what we've just seen in Oslo and Utøya it's a very minor one, but it's unfair to suggest that it isn't bad, just because we've seen something far worse.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't be arsed about it when I heard it tbh - especially when the real tragedies are happening in Norway at the moment. She was a sad drug addict who signed her own death sentence - 80+ kids didn't.

Nevertheless - RIP, Amy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thomsena said:
Couldn't be arsed about it when I heard it tbh - especially when the real tragedies are happening in Norway at the moment. She was a sad drug addict who signed her own death sentence - 80+ kids didn't.

Nevertheless - RIP, Amy.

Agreed: death is rarely welcomed.

Her's though, should be kept in perspective...while not suicide per-se, it was likely the result of her own choices.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Its sad, I never really got into her music but its clear she had an enormous amount of talent. It wasn't just about dressing up and being outrageous like some of the other rubbish that's going around days these - she could perform and back it up.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
TeamSkyFans said:
Fitting really, that the last song she performed live was this one.

Is everybody happy?
knock, knock, knock, knock
You can't come in
knock, knock, knock
You can't come in

You're wondering now, what to do, now you know this is the end
You're wondering how, you will pay, for the way you did behave

Curtain has fallen, now you're on your own
I won't return, forever you will wait

Curtain has fallen, now you're on your own
I won't return, forever you will wait

You're wondering how, you will pay, for the way you did behave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buLr1akDD-Y&feature=channel_video_title

That video really shows how out of it she had become.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Such a troubled soul.

Amy Winehouse found dead
Troubled singer Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her flat in north London, police said. She was 27 years old.

The soul singer struggled with drink and drug addictions. Her death is being treated as unexplained.

amy-winehouse-before-and-after.jpg

Her music sucked and she looks like a crack *** edited by mod ***

Music is subjective.

I think she was a very talented singer, but I had little time for the music she chose to perform. No, actually, that's a lie. There is a lot of soul music that I absolutely love, but just none of it was the stuff she performed. But she was a talented singer, most definitely.

I do kind of feel that it's a bit ridiculous and rose-tinted to conflate her with the likes of Hendrix, Morrison, Johnson, Joplin, Cobain et al, though her story may share some parallels.

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
she had a good voice, a very good voice.
I don't think she's really changed music. at all.

the road to a life lost to substance abuse is always sad. I do however think that a celebrity who has had significant time money and effort invested into their rehabilitation, deserves less sympathy than the thousands of addicts who have been abandoned and marginalized by society. she had it all, she gave it away, she had second chances, she didn't take them. it's sad, but has been inevitable for a while.