• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amy's Ride Victoria

I rode in this on Sunday morning.. did the 120km version. Enjoyed it a lot.

Conditions were pretty good - a bit windy & rainy, but better than being hot..

Highlight: Riding past Cadel Evans
Lowlight: I need to lose weight so that I can climb better. I felt like a December version of Jan Ullrich.

Did anyone else do this ride?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately I couldn't do it.

Did you see in The Age that there were comments by motorists about some poor riding behavior in the group? Did you see anything?

Martin318is said:
Unfortunately I couldn't do it.

Did you see in The Age that there were comments by motorists about some poor riding behavior in the group? Did you see anything?

I think when you get that many people (many of whom are 'amateurs'), there are bound to be problems, though I didn't see any myself. Actually, the drivers seemed pretty respectful, too.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
I think when you get that many people (many of whom are 'amateurs'), there are bound to be problems, though I didn't see any myself. Actually, the drivers seemed pretty respectful, too.

I wasn't able to do it this year, but last year it was a bit dodgy at the start. There were two problems; while the first few kilometres are in a closed lane, you start sharing the road with cars right at the top of a small hill which bunched huge groups of riders together because you couldn't over take slow riders; the next section after that was very narrow and also had a lot of traffic on it because it was a hot day and it's the road to the beach!

The combination of hundreds of riders looking to overtake, and lots of traffic looking to get to the beach, wasn't a great one.

Do you know if the route this year was the same as last year?

rgmerk said:
I wasn't able to do it this year, but last year it was a bit dodgy at the start. There were two problems; while the first few kilometres are in a closed lane, you start sharing the road with cars right at the top of a small hill which bunched huge groups of riders together because you couldn't over take slow riders; the next section after that was very narrow and also had a lot of traffic on it because it was a hot day and it's the road to the beach!

The combination of hundreds of riders looking to overtake, and lots of traffic looking to get to the beach, wasn't a great one.

Do you know if the route this year was the same as last year?

I think it was the same route.. I know what you mean - the hardest part was the group slowing down for no apparent reason..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
I rode in this on Sunday morning.. did the 120km version. Enjoyed it a lot.

Conditions were pretty good - a bit windy & rainy, but better than being hot..

Highlight: Riding past Cadel Evans
Lowlight: I need to lose weight so that I can climb better. I felt like a December version of Jan Ullrich.

Did anyone else do this ride?

I bet he wasn't even sweating... only pro's riding were Mcewen, evans and cooke. funny how tomo had a go at him for not doing the tdu when he does all the charity events such as this one and Scotty's Ride

auscyclefan94 said:
I bet he wasn't even sweating... only pro's riding were Mcewen, evans and cooke. funny how tomo had a go at him for not doing the tdu when he does all the charity events such as this one and Scotty's Ride

No, he was going flat out...:rolleyes:

follis

BANNED
Mar 19, 2010
www.majesticfireprotection.com
Majestic Fire Protection is a full service Fire Protection Contractor licensed and bonded by the state of California and Certified by the State Fire Marshall. We offer service, sales, installation, and maintenance on a wide variety of products