• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

An open letter to the peloton

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 20, 2010
Visit site
Cavalier,

That was one of the finest posts that I've ever seen on any forum, and describes well the root of the cynicism felt by many cycling fans after witnessing the trouble in the sport over the last 20 years, but especially in the latter 10.
Wigans should level his anger at the UCI.
It's clear what the fans want. It's the UCI who fail to deliver.

Thanks,
Mike Anderson

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
VeloGirl said:
You took the words right out of every fans mouth, Cavalier. Chapeau.

Yes, pardon us fans for being suspicious of "great" rides, but we have been burned over and over and over again.

Fully agree.

However, we might be missing a link here that could perhaps explain some of wiggins idiotic remarks.
just a thought, but what if riders really believe NOT DOPING during the tdf equals putting their health at risk? Regardless of whether there is truth in it, I assume teamdoctors use such arguments plentifully to convince their riders that juicing is a responsible thing (the normal thing) to do.

So perhaps guys like wiggo truly believe that juicing prevents them from dropping dead on the Alpe d'Huez.

Just a thought, and not an excuse for wiggins. but it could partially explain wiggins' humorless reaction to merely comprehensible doping talks.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Amazing Cavalier. I'll sign this letter with my full name, adress, mobile number, complete CV, mothers name etc etc. (Google has it all already anyway...)

And about applying themselves, I dream every day of being a top pro athlete like Wiggins, because it would be so much easier than what I do today. I would gladly train hard and focused everyday and apply myself like he does, doesn't take half a brain as Wiggo and these athletes clearly is evidence of, heck, I would almost start doing it now without any chance of ever reaching the top if I had the time and the money.

This anonymity argument is absurd. Hiding behind screennames? Pfff.
TexPat said:
Thanks,
Mike Anderson
See, Mike's name was already out there, so his signing this post might mean something. But for the majority of us, if we don't reveal our names it's because they don't mean jack. We're normal people. We're the common fan - the 99%, if you will :D

We use screennames because that's how the internet works, not because we don't have the balls to ask directly, as JV can certainly tell. We could all reveal our names, and for the vast majority of us it would make no difference.

Still, Wiggo, if it means that much to you: my name is Roberto Ochoa, and you're a c***.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cavalier said:
Because it's become abundantly clear that the pro-peloton are aware of us;

More accurately, dear people applauding Bradley Wiggins for his foul-mouthed tirade today:

I'd like to outline why I think you're all massive hypocrites, and why you get the reaction from people that you do.

We've sat by for years - for some of you, your entire professional careers - and watched the sport.
We've sat through almost 30 years of doped riders, of positive tests, of confiscated victories weeks, months and sometimes years after they were awarded.
But most importantly, we sat by whilst all of this was going on, and you did nothing.
You didn't speak out then.
You didn't speak up against people you knew were doping.
You didn't speak up against your teammates when you knew they were doping.
All you ex-T-mobile riders didn't say anything about the visits to Freiberg.
You didn't say anything when riders gave evidence about what they'd seen, and were harassed because of it.
Some of you, through your inaction, did nothing about that harassment. Those of you who raced with Lance Armstrong said nothing back then.
Those of you who raced in 1998 complained about your rights and your dignity.

You didn't complain about those people who stripped them from you by cheating.
You didn't applaud those people who tried to out the real cheats within the ranks.
You didn't chastise those people taking trips to Spain and Italy to see doctors. In fact, some of you did it yourself.

You complained about early morning drug tests.
You complained about out of competition drug tests, and you complained about whereabouts forms and not having a private life, and media intrusion.
And some of you still ride today, still having said nothing about doping.

I'll say this: I've sat up until 3 in the morning every July for countless years now. I've watched, I've supported, even some of you who turned out to be cheats. I've dreamed of being in the position you're in, of having a tenth of the talent you're blessed enough to have, because no amount of hard work will make up for the gap. So when I'm at work at 7am, busting my rear end to make ends meet for the next ten hours for a tiny bit of what you get, remember this, every one of you who applaud Wiggins abusing those of us who ask questions:

We ask the questions because you refused to.
We get suspicious because we're tired of seeing more than half of the last 13 TdF titles get stripped and re-awarded.
We're tired of you guys continually saying "We're clean" and then seeing someone test positive.
We're tired of seeing you complain about us, because we got tired of seeing you cheat us as fans, by not taking matters into your own hands, getting rid of - and speaking out against - those who are doping, and have doped.
You give your blood values and power numbers happily to the ASO, and treat us with contempt, like we're just supposed to watch, buy your sponsor's products, and cheer on demand.

You do nothing to dispel doping suspicions, to out cheats, and to clean up the sport. You are the blight on the sport, not us.

Footnote: I'd include a list of riders DS's and who have publicly announced their support for Wiggins and his remarks, but I find them abhorrent now.

e: I realise the irony of me posting this under a pseudonym. To all those cyclists and staff members on twitter who echo his thought, my personal details are available to you on request. All you have to do is ask.
Plus one. Very disappointed with the reaction of the peleton over this.

Perhaps CyclingNews could publish this on the main web page.

If riders get time penalties for drafting behind cars after a big crash, ASO/UCI cannot stand by and allow a foul mouthed rant at the public at an official tour press conferenc withou any sanction. Will they take any action?

While I love the original post and many of the other comments above...

... If I were clean I might react the way Wiggins did! That's the problem you can't really tell if this is more BS or genuine indignation!?

T

May 26, 2010
Visit site
180mmCrank said:

... If I were clean I might react the way Wiggins did! That's the problem you can't really tell if this is more BS or genuine indignation!?

T

No you wouldn't, as a member of the sport riding clean and having witnessed 1st hand dopers winning and then having results taken away you would completely understand and emphasise with fans of the sport.

You wouldn't attack and insult fans like those who have doped and then been caught for it!

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Thank you to the cycling journalists who relayed Wiggins' comments. Now how about asking some of the questions the cynics are asking, like why Sky hired Rabobank's former doping doc? The guy is at the Tour, right, you can even ask him about his past in person.

Or, you know, just applaud the guy in the yellow t-shirt and go home. Whatever, it's just a bike race.

180mmCrank said:

T

But if his critics err in lumping Wiggo with every unrepentant doper who professed innocence, he errs in saying that all criticism comes from malcontents or that it’s simply because they have no ambition. People don’t really like being told that they never amounted to anything in their lives. And given the number of lies told in cycling the past 20 (30? 40? 80?) years, it’s a testament to the fans’ enduring interest that sponsors like Sky see enough exposure to warrant their outsize investment.

Fans aren’t the only ones with questions.*Sky—and other teams—regularly meet with Tour promoter ASO, in part to explain their performances. But little or none of this information is ever shared with the public.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderr...france-doubt-hope-and-trust-take-spotlight/2/

sniper said:
Fully agree.

However, we might be missing a link here that could perhaps explain some of wiggins idiotic remarks.
just a thought, but what if riders really believe NOT DOPING during the tdf equals putting their health at risk? Regardless of whether there is truth in it, I assume teamdoctors use such arguments plentifully to convince their riders that juicing is a responsible thing (the normal thing) to do.

So perhaps guys like wiggo truly believe that juicing prevents them from dropping dead on the Alpe d'Huez.

Just a thought, and not an excuse for wiggins. but it could partially explain wiggins' humorless reaction to merely comprehensible doping talks.

My issue with Wiggins' comments aren't that I think he is doping, and therefor a hypocrite (I'm still unsure), but that he berates the fans for being suspicious of any great ride.
There was a time when cycling fans vehemently defending such great rides - and look where it got them.

180mmCrank said:

T

He may very well be clean, but it is his peers (former and present) that are to blame.
Be angry at those who swore innocence only to have their titles taken away. Be angry at the system that states you have to use to make it.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
180mmCrank said:

T

That is how I feel about it honestly. I will freely admit that when you guys start posting VAM's and watts per kg, and crap, I tune out. I don't do the maths. But from what I read yesterday, the climb was nothing too outrageous. It was the first day in the mountains, so his team were as fresh as they are going to be, and they are VERY motivated to get Brad the win. If I were clean, I might say something similar...in fact, I'm fairly certain I could easily outdo him.

It could be the same old same old also, but I don't know.

I do know that I hope the **** loses for other reasons. I also know that his support of Armstrong (who he CLEARLY knows was doping) and his general two faced nature of his doping rants make me question, but honestly, the racing to me doesn't look that outrageous.

Whatever...GO CADEL!

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
180mmCrank said:

T

Perhaps Wiggins is attempting to establish a new type of denial with his tirades. Most professional sports people never speak out against the drug problems that are rampant in their chosen professions. And those people have often been criticized by the media and fan's for not doing so. And thus they are accused of being dopers themselves. So Wiggins in essence blew a couple of fuses Today. He has been vocal in the past about doping. His profanities are completely out of order. He is not upholding the moral and ethical principles that ultimately define ones character. His comments will ultimately come back to haunt him once the realization sets in that his emotional outbursts Today will not will not serve to diffuse the allegations of doping that are being leveled against him. And also the realization that he will never break free from the accusations that will inevitably persist.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
VeloGirl said:
He may very well be clean, but it is his peers (former and present) that are to blame.
Be angry at those who swore innocence only to have their titles taken away. Be angry at the system that states you have to use to make it.

This is also a fair assessment.

ChewbaccaD said:
Whatever...GO CADEL!

I am pulling for Menchov. But only because I think that with the TdF routes of late, the joke of a WRC course, and the Olympic road race course that the powers that be want an Evans or Wiggins win. Making the sport global is more than just putting races outside of continental Europe. The sport can gobble up whole countries be creating a champion. Wiggins and Cav success seem almost preplanned. It would be funny to see Menchov upset the design.

Maybe he is innocent.
My disgust is his crass reply aimed at his fans or anyone who dares cross him.

Look to yourself ,Wiggins, you are judged by the company or 'idols' you choose to keep.

The profanities that slipped out define you.

Here's to your karma catching you.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I am pulling for Menchov. But only because I think that with the TdF routes of late, the joke of a WRC course, and the Olympic road race course that the powers that be want an Evans or Wiggins win. Making the sport global is more than just putting races outside of continental Europe. The sport can gobble up whole countries be creating a champion. Wiggins and Cav success seem almost preplanned. It would be funny to see Menchov upset the design.

Honestly, as long as Wigans loses, I will be happy.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Maybe he is innocent.
My disgust is his crass reply aimed at his fans or anyone who dares cross him.

Look to yourself ,Wiggins, you are judged by the company or 'idols' you choose to keep.

The profanities that slipped out define you.

Here's to your karma catching you.

And then people like Vaughters add his support? My problem with that is that it was the activities that HE engaged in that led people to be so jaded about the sport in general. Yet somehow it is the fans who are to blame?

As I said, I can see where Wigans would have his jimmies rustled, but his anger is misplaced, and the more I read, the more I see his aggression as similar to another Tour champion who he supports unwaveringly.