• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

André Greipel Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re:

MacBAir said:
Greipel is officially the most likable sprinter of all time. Modern cycling deserves an warrior like this. I feel like a jerk when I thought that he was wrongdoing Cav.

Greipel is awesome. If a sprinter was to win in Doha, I hope it would be him. He's awesome. Did you guys saw today's Eneco stage?
Great ride from him.Will be good if he will win in Doha.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Durning the last few years he was always better in the RVV, those short explosive efforts seem to suit him more that the longer sections at Roubaix (he has never been great at MSR either), it's a different kin of race and he seems to be better on the cobbled climbs.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
I've come to wonder. How can Greipel be at the pointy end of Roubaix, be up there in Vlaanderen until deep in the finale when he has never gotten close to the winning group in Milan Sanremo?

Not allowed to ride it until 2011, where he did a lot of work for Gilbert. He doesn't like rain and cold weather, so 2013 was out of the question as well. Didn't ride it in 2016-2017. No idea about the other years.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
He can't climb. Isn't that why he always goes on these nonsensical solo breakaways off the front in Vlaanderen, to get a head start on the next climb?

Yes, I don't think he considers himself a contender in these races, so he rides them a little foolishly. If he just sat tight, he could probably hold on for a better placing but he is probably not going to hit the podium either way, so I quite like his refreshingly offensive attitude in the cobbled monuments.

And no, he has never made it over the Poggio with the best and seems to have given up on the race.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
silvergrenade said:
Why does he have just 2 pages for a sprinter of his stature?
I expected a lot more
He's pure class, but not really the most exciting rider or person, and there is just not a lot to discuss about him. :)

Also, there are not a lot of German patriots around here.
True, such an amazing guy.
Saw this in the comments section on the CN website:

No one could Greipel with Andre the Giant.

silvergrenade said:
Squire said:
silvergrenade said:
I expected a lot more
He's pure class, but not really the most exciting rider or person, and there is just not a lot to discuss about him. :)

Also, there are not a lot of German patriots around here.
True, such an amazing guy.
Saw this in the comments section on the CN website:

No one could Greipel with Andre the Giant.
:D

Scarponi said:
silvergrenade said:
I expected a lot more
2nd tier sprinters who have two WT stage wins get more ports on here it's insane
It really is. Greipel is quite a character also, on the bike at least. Now that he's got the mandatory GT stage win, how far does his streak of atleast a stage win per GT extend to?

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
At the start tomorrow :D :D

6ba39e68e7cd18856ac31f6b7a800766.jpg

Cance > TheRest said:
Scarponi said:
silvergrenade said:
I expected a lot more
2nd tier sprinters who have two WT stage wins get more ports on here it's insane
It really is. Greipel is quite a character also, on the bike at least. Now that he's got the mandatory GT stage win, how far does his streak of atleast a stage win per GT extend to?
Twelve GTs in a row.

TRENDING THREADS