• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

André Greipel Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Andre after yesterday´s stage: “I was in fourth place with 400 meters to go, and in the end, I couldn’t even sprint. I’ve completely lost my instinct on the bike.” What could be the reason for that? It is quite sad actually I hope he will get through it...

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Maybe the reason simply is that he's getting old.

I really have a problem with people saying this without analyzing his sprints. He literally crushed the whole sprinters field earlier this year in Paris Nice. He isn't too old. Yes, he isn't as fast anymore as a few years back, but no doubt in my mind that he still has the speed to win. His risk taking and decision making is just horrible, hence he's always losing the race before the actual sprint even started. His non winning streak is taking its toll on his confidence now. Not a good thing.Yesterday for an example he refuses to go with Sagan but tries to go on the left side which is completely blocked. That has nothing to do with his legs. Same with a lot of sprints in the Tour where he waited too long to start it (when he had a gap) or when he didn't follow the wheels of his teammates.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Looks like he's trying to reinvent himself as a domestique ala O'Grady.

He might be a bit heavy to power through the first few climbs of a tour stage before peeling off the back halfway up the ultimate however.

He may find himself without a WT contract soon.

What seems evident is he's lost the passion for sprinting and seems to enjoy the donkey work more.
Maybe he'd fit into Bora helping Sagan in races like BinckBank

Re:

Lupi33x said:

He might be a bit heavy to power through the first few climbs of a tour stage before peeling off the back halfway up the ultimate however.

What seems evident is he's lost the passion for sprinting and seems to enjoy the donkey work more.
I wouldn´t write him off just yet. He still has a contract for 2018. Give him one more year as leader.

Re: Re:

Screecher said:
Lupi33x said:

I wouldn´t write him off just yet. He still has a contract for 2018. Give him one more year as leader.

He would be a quality dom in the coubles, he has never been shy of any work, I think he'll stay the rest of his career with lotto, they kinda owe that to him.

Re: Re:

Echoes said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
I think a sportpsychologist could do wonders here, perhaps he or the team should consider this.

They have one at Lotto-Soudal: Nathan Kahan. He's been very important to them after the horrible Stig Broeckx crash. ;)

I also read somewhere In an interview that André was affected the worst by Stigs accident, and he was the second one to visit after stigs closest friend from the team whose name I can't recall.

Stig's closest friend, might be Kris "Machien" Boeckmans? He's regularly visited him, remember reading and still has owns a letter that Stig had sent to him when himself lay in the coma. He even played rock-paper-scissors with him at the hospital when his situation started to really improve back in December. :p :)

TRENDING THREADS