• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

André Greipel Discussion Thread

I think Lotto have the best lead out train around now. Greipel has always had the speed, now that he's being put in winning positions regularly, he's finishing them off in big races.

Kristoff just peaked earlier in the year than Greipel, he's never been able to match him in a flat out sprint if both are on top form.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Does greipel have a chance at the worlds? Tony martin said after hamburg that greipel could be up there in richmond.
Although the course is much better suited to degenkolb.

Re:

robin440 said:
Does greipel have a chance at the worlds? Tony martin said after hamburg that greipel could be up there in richmond.
Although the course is much better suited to degenkolb.

Lotto team yesterday started lobbying with the German national coach that Greipel should be leader for the WC together with Degenkolb.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Great season he's had so far. I hope he can keep it up for the remainder of the year. He's proven himself as the number 1 sprinter in the world at the moment.

Well, Kittel was ill for most of the season. In a flat out sprint with both in form I still think this wouldn't be much of a contest for Ivan Drago 2.0 ;)

Re: Re:

Akuryo said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Great season he's had so far. I hope he can keep it up for the remainder of the year. He's proven himself as the number 1 sprinter in the world at the moment.

Well, Kittel was ill for most of the season. In a flat out sprint with both in form I still think this wouldn't be much of a contest for Ivan Drago 2.0 ;)
No, I agree with that. Kittel is lightyears ahead of everyone else when in form. He's just not in form at the moment :)

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
I like that he is prepared to be a domestique when the situation arises. He's done some great work on the cobbles this year to help his team.

His work for Wellens at the Eneco Tour was amazing, and so was his acceleration uphill. I actually believe he does have a shot at lumpy races like the Amstel Gold when they aren't raced too hard. But the classics seem to suit him even better. Why has he never really bothered with racing them decently until recently?

I think it's still different to perform in an Eneco stage than in Amstel Gold. I don't know if he would survive the blitz up Cauberg. But if he is lucky and is within contention and the race slows down like it did after the top this year, who knows. He might surprise all of us given half a chance.

Re: Re:

De Snelle Duif said:
yaco said:
I like that he is prepared to be a domestique when the situation arises. He's done some great work on the cobbles this year to help his team.

His work for Wellens at the Eneco Tour was amazing, and so was his acceleration uphill. I actually believe he does have a shot at lumpy races like the Amstel Gold when they aren't raced too hard. But the classics seem to suit him even better. Why has he never really bothered with racing them decently until recently?

He'd have to lose a LOT of weight to not get dropped, and by the time he does that, he'd have no chance in sprints against Kittel and Cav.

It's one thing to put up an acceleration in awful conditions in a field where there's not many good punchers, and those who are are in poor form. Completely different scenario when every contender is in great form for the ardennes

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Greipel is officially the most likable sprinter of all time. Modern cycling deserves an warrior like this. I feel like a jerk when I thought that he was wrongdoing Cav.

Greipel is awesome. If a sprinter was to win in Doha, I hope it would be him. He's awesome. Did you guys saw today's Eneco stage?

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

MacBAir said:
Greipel is officially the most likable sprinter of all time. Modern cycling deserves an warrior like this. I feel like a jerk when I thought that he was wrongdoing Cav.

Greipel is awesome. If a sprinter was to win in Doha, I hope it would be him. He's awesome. Did you guys saw today's Eneco stage?

Andre Greipel is one hell of a bike rider!

TRENDING THREADS