• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andreas Kloden's Final Bid For Another Coveted Top 10 Tour Finish, 'Official' Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Kloden was looking impressive on stage 4. He was never away from the front of the peleton on the climb. I fear he will not impress on stage 5 but I hope he can hang on. He used to be one of the best riders when it came to uphill TTs so lets hope he can use that stage to snatch a podium place.

Fairly satisfied with this result, think this is the best peformance we can ask of Klöden on this type of climb. Hopefully the next two stages suits him a little better, and he can atleast get a top 10 ;)

wwabbit said:
Excellent ride by Kloden today. He's moved up 5 places in the GC to 11th.
Top 10 is surely within his grasp with a good ITT performance.

It was most definitely a very good climb from Klodi the other day; not far from most of the main contenders.

After the MTT he should certainly have a top ten overall finish. Slight chance for a top five.

A podium would require a miracle :D

Anyone know if Andreas is riding Catalunya?

:(

Stage 3 was a complete disaster for RS. Kloden their best rider...at 37th :eek:

It reminded me of the Fillies climb in TDF last year.

And in stage 4 Klodi really seems to have thrown in the towel. Hopefully he can rediscover some legs tonight and get in the break, as it will be a rare time in his career that he will be given plenty of freedom.

2 more stages and then a long layoff I'd imagine.

I just read this on the Radioshack website:

However, half of the field did abandon on today’s stage, unwilling and/or unable to continue in the miserable conditions. One abandon for RADIOSHACK LEOPARD TREK came after 20km from Andreas Klöden, who crashed yesterday on the second-to-last climb. “I had to do the first climb with one leg. The left leg hurts too much. It was impossible to go on with nine climbs still to go.”

It gives some explanation. Kloden was horrible on stage 4 because he crashed. Hopefully it is not a serious injury and he can return to racing shortly. Perhaps for Romandie?

gregrowlerson said:
I just read this on the Radioshack website:

However, half of the field did abandon on today’s stage, unwilling and/or unable to continue in the miserable conditions. One abandon for RADIOSHACK LEOPARD TREK came after 20km from Andreas Klöden, who crashed yesterday on the second-to-last climb. “I had to do the first climb with one leg. The left leg hurts too much. It was impossible to go on with nine climbs still to go.”

It gives some explanation. Kloden was horrible on stage 4 because he crashed. Hopefully it is not a serious injury and he can return to racing shortly. Perhaps for Romandie?

He was also really horrible on stage 3. I do not know what he's doing anymore. Seems like he's completely lost all sense of what his limits are. On the really steep pitch on the last climb he's in front just behind Hesjedal who's really driving it. Next we lose the picture a bit, and the riders come out of the steep part. I look for Klödi and he's at the back suffering like a dog and getting dropped. I just do not get it.

In this climb he should have atleast been in the Sammy Sanchez group. But instead he chooses the wrong time to be at the front yet again. I hope it's that or he really has dropped even more levels.

Klodi's season has still be solid thus far. 9th at Paris-Nice was especially promising, at least much better than last season. He certainly may have dropped more levels (he is almost 38!). We know that he can't climb like in 2006-07 anymore, and apparently not on hills like he did at Pais Vasco 2011 anymore neither. Overall he is still a handy climber. 11th at the TDF last year is perhaps the best level we can hope for this season, so with a bit of luck, to sneak into the top ten in TDF (or Giro if he unlikely rides it) is probably best we can hope for in 2013.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I wonder what Klöden will do next year. If Radioshack folds he has to look for a new team. Even if they don't fold, he might have to look for a new team (does anyone know the duration of his contract?). As team manager I wouldn't re-sign him, unless he got a significant win in the remainder of the season. Too old and too expensive for no wins.

But what team would sign him and where would he be willing to go?