• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andreas Leknessund - Arctic star

Going on an early break away and then joining the big guns in the final. I am sure we will see and hear a lot more from Leknessund in the coming years. Join the bandwagon before it is considered late.

Changing of the guards in Norwegian cycling, and in the new generation Leknessund might be the one who carries the highest expectations. Coming from Tromsø is most unexpected for a cyclist. It is so far north that most of the year the ground is covered by meters of snow and there is no sunlight mid winter. Andreas went through all the usual Norwegian ski-sports as a child before he found cycling and truly showed his talent.

Both a World and a European champion in the youth classes before the transfer from Uno-X to DSM and the world tour in 2021. Today in De Brabantse Pijl he proved that he is a strong rider who can compete against the best. The long lasting Norwegian dream about a Grand Tour contender might not be fulfilled by Leknessund though. He has indicated that he is more of an allrounder, good at TT, but also explosive enough to become a great asset in one day classics. As the strength of Kristoff and Boasson Hagen seems to fade away it is exciting that Norway might have a rider who can be able to pick up the mantel.

Last edited:
When did he become worldchampion and what discipline was that? I actually didn't know or at least don't remember that. I knew he was junior Euro champ (2017) and Euro u23 champ (2020) both in ITT, but i didn't know he was a worldchampion.

His name has been going around for years now, and honestly, i even expected him sooner. Today was good, but ultimately a footnote compared to the guy winning, who is the exact same age. His ITT in Itzulia last week was downright disappointing for a timetrialist of his pedigree. I think he is still far removed from his best level. I expect we'll see and hear from him in more spectacular fashion in the second part of the season.

Reactions: Sandisfan
When did he become worldchampion and what discipline was that? I actually didn't know or at least don't remember that. I knew he was junior Euro champ (2017) and Euro u23 champ (2020) both in ITT, but i didn't know he was a worldchampion.

His name has been going around for years now, and honestly, i even expected him sooner. Today was good, but ultimately a footnote compared to the guy winning, who is the exact same age. His ITT in Itzulia last week was downright disappointing for a timetrialist of his pedigree. I think he is still far removed from his best level. I expect we'll see and hear from him in more spectacular fashion in the second part of the season.

Sorry, you are right. It was the Euro in 2017, not the World as I thought it was. Anyway, if he has met expectations or not so far, he is still someone to watch out for and hopefully more deserving of his own thread here in some time. I agree that he hasn't set the world on fire so far this season. He has had to spend some time adapting to his new team and race program, but the talent Is there and in the right race I am sure he will shine soon.

Sorry, you are right. It was the Euro in 2017, not the World as I thought it was. Anyway, if he has met expectations or not so far, he is still someone to watch out for and hopefully more deserving of his own thread here in some time. I agree that he hasn't set the world on fire so far this season. He has had to spend some time adapting to his new team and race program, but the talent Is there and in the right race I am sure he will shine soon.
It wasn't a criticism, but i do think he will settle into his role more come summer. Last year he was already very good in the elite WCC ITT, so last weeks ITT showed he's far from his best form. Especially since it was a short but hard ITT with some climbing, which should actually have suit him. So, while today was "nice" i expect much more from him. Jungels 2.0 or about.

It wasn't a criticism, but i do think he will settle into his role more come summer. Last year he was already very good in the elite WCC ITT, so last weeks ITT showed he's far from his best form. Especially since it was a short but hard ITT with some climbing, which should actually have suit him. So, while today was "nice" i expect much more from him. Jungels 2.0 or about.

Agree, but I am guessing that adapting to team directives and finding a role might be part of the explanation to the disappointing ITT result last week. Eventually he will gain more freedom and the results will improve.

This was Leknessund worst result in the Nationals TT since... forever actually. He was second in 2018 before turning 20 and then he won in 2019 and 2020. And he beat Foss in all those occasions, while being 2 years younger.

It's not a total shock because Leknessund has been mediocre in time trials for the whole year but it begs the question on what DSM is doing with some of its youngsters. Leknessund was always a monster talent, particularly for time trials, but has shown virtually nothing since joining the team.

My impression is that Leknessund haven’t focused on TT at all this year. Not much training and testing with a new bike are a recipe to unsuccessful time trialing. His performances in the Belgian semi classics this spring and a decent showing in TdS makes me think his progress is not too bad.

(it did make some fuzz in the winter when he told Norwegian media he wasn’t going to train to be a grand tour rider but instead focusing more on developing his abilities in hilly classics)

This was Leknessund worst result in the Nationals TT since... forever actually. He was second in 2018 before turning 20 and then he won in 2019 and 2020. And he beat Foss in all those occasions, while being 2 years younger.

It's not a total shock because Leknessund has been mediocre in time trials for the whole year but it begs the question on what DSM is doing with some of its youngsters. Leknessund was always a monster talent, particularly for time trials, but has shown virtually nothing since joining the team.
lol, just read this post. I basically made the exact same point in the Foss thread. Last year he said he didn't want to go for GC's / focus on losing weight for climbing etc, but he wanted to invest in TT and hilly races, or so i understood / remember it. But so far i've only seen some encouraging performances in Brabantse Pijl and Tour de Suisse. Rest of the year was underwhelming to put it mildly. This guy was 13th in the WC ITT last year and Euro U23 ITT champ. For all he's lost in TT's, it's hard to see where exactly he's improved.

DSM talent team strikes again. Scaring all talent away since, forever
They are good at attracting it, but not that good at keeping it. Talent i mean.

Last edited:
Last year he said he didn't want to go for GC's / focus on losing weight for climbing etc, but he wanted to invest in TT and hilly races, or so i understood / remember it.
double discussion here and Foss thread :D

But as I wrote there, it was this Winter (in January) he came out with the “I’m not gonna pursue climbing/GC” and in Norwegian media he mentioned hilly races as his area of focus and TTs were not mentioned. So I think your memory is playing a little with you, and that TTs not been prioritized since his transfer to DSM.

double discussion here and Foss thread :D

But as I wrote there, it was this Winter (in January) he came out with the “I’m not gonna pursue climbing/GC” and in Norwegian media he mentioned hilly races as his area of focus and TTs were not mentioned. So I think your memory is playing a little with you, and that TTs not been prioritized since his transfer to DSM.
I'm definitely remembering an earlier comment. Possibly plans changed, but i'm not seeing the progression i thought i would, and definitely not in line with his decline as TTer, considering his talent.

First Norwegian in over 40 years to wear pink.
Possibly the rider born furthest to the North to wear the leader's jersey in a GT ever.

And now, I'm gonna do my thing!

Official Redhead Certification

I, RedheadDane, by the power invested in me, by me, hereby declare Andreas Rikardsen Leknessund an officially certified redhead!

andreas-leknessund-2023.jpeg

His father got diagnosed with brain cancer just as Andreas was making a name for himself in the U23-ranks in 2018, and died a year later aged just 47. It was him who'd gotten him into cycling in the first place.

Going into pink yesterday was done on the back of another recent bereavement of close family (no details given, no details asked) which is the backdrop of the emotions he showed at the finish.

His father got diagnosed with brain cancer just as Andreas was making a name for himself in the U23-ranks in 2018, and died a year later aged just 47. It was him who'd gotten him into cycling in the first place.

Going into pink yesterday was done on the back of another recent bereavement of close family (no details given, no details asked) which is the backdrop of the emotions he showed at the finish.
So his tears have really a complete different meaning and value

TRENDING THREADS