• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

Page 182 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
nick101 said:
Sky have too many GC riders, so Andy would have to go as a domestique. Due to his pride, he would never be a domestique, especially at Sky. Hhhhmmmm what other factors??

Factors such as close friendship with Andersen who still played a role on the team when Bruyneel came in etc. I think changing such an approach would require getting rid of the likes of Andersen.

Agree, Sky would have too many options GC wise. Anyway lets see what happens with the Shack team by the end of the season.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Factors such as close friendship with Andersen who still played a role on the team when Bruyneel came in etc. I think changing such an approach would require getting rid of the likes of Andersen.

Agree, Sky would have too many options GC wise. Anyway lets see what happens with the Shack team by the end of the season.

Or Bruyneel could've convinced Andersen to take a hard approach on Andy also. I've always wondered whether Bruyneel's approach to Clinic related matters with Andy were the reason why Andy never got on with Bruyneel :confused:

I don't really know what to think of his NC as well. I'm among those who think his form is really coming back and I'm pretty sure he'll have some good days at the Tour. But I seriously doubt he'll have the consistency to race at a high level for three weeks. Probably he had a simple off-day in Luexmbourg, what would be pretty normal for someone coming back from such a long break. So it's no stretch to say he'll have some more in the coming weeks?
As others I think he should focus on stages (and maybe the polka dots) in the Tour de France. Giving everything for a top-20 or something alike wouldn't really make sense.
I also don't think he should target the Vuelta GC, but try to hit top form for the World Championships and the Italian Classics. Maybe he can build to win Lombardia? A strong showing in the end of the season would probably give him a lot confidence for the preparation for next year.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Andy's feeling frisky, yahoo!!!!
"I have my ideas and I’m keeping them to myself, but perhaps I will be the surprise of July…"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck-strikes-defiant-note-ahead-of-tour-de-france

Sounds confident I think heading into the Tour, very good to see. :) Especially after his sub-par showing at nationals. Think these are interesting quotes as well.

“I read everywhere that I had mental problems. I read that even when I was at home peacefully with my family. I wasn’t and I am not a depressive or unhappy person. On the bike, it’s true, things weren’t going too well, but one day, I’m going to be riding on the front again,” Schleck said.

“I’m turned 28 in June. I still consider myself a young rider, maybe even a rider in his best years, and I still have a future in front of me,” he said.

I like how he is looking towards the future and still can see a bright career ahead of him. And what he says about people saying he was depressed and had mental problems, to me, says he will want to show through his riding he doesn't. And will want to defiantly prove them wrong. I think, and hope, we will see a motivated Andy Schleck that will show us some signs of the Andy of old this Tour.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
screaming fist said:
I don't really know what to think of his NC as well. I'm among those who think his form is really coming back and I'm pretty sure he'll have some good days at the Tour. But I seriously doubt he'll have the consistency to race at a high level for three weeks. Probably he had a simple off-day in Luexmbourg, what would be pretty normal for someone coming back from such a long break. So it's no stretch to say he'll have some more in the coming weeks?
As others I think he should focus on stages (and maybe the polka dots) in the Tour de France. Giving everything for a top-20 or something alike wouldn't really make sense.
I also don't think he should target the Vuelta GC, but try to hit top form for the World Championships and the Italian Classics. Maybe he can build to win Lombardia? A strong showing in the end of the season would probably give him a lot confidence for the preparation for next year.

I totally agree, I have doubts as well he can go full 3 weeks, he talks about a top 10 is the goal, but I can´t see how he can do that.

Baby steps, but again, we know how fast he can get in shape under normal circumstances, even Fabian is amazed how little it takes, so maybe he got something up his sleeve, lets hope he can be one of the contenders.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
xrayvision said:
I totally agree, I have doubts as well he can go full 3 weeks, he talks about a top 10 is the goal, but I can´t see how he can do that.

Baby steps, but again, we know how fast he can get in shape under normal circumstances, even Fabian is amazed how little it takes, so maybe he got something up his sleeve, lets hope he can be one of the contenders.

Where did he say that? :confused:

In the stuff I've read he's been saying for a while now that he is not one of the favorites and that he can't dream of winning the Tour this year.

Sophistic82 said:
keep in mind that after 2 weeks of everyone suffering, talent beats preparation, might not be enough for the podium but andy will be strong at the end.

Talent can beat preparation if the suffering is done before the tour. He should have taken a page out of Lemond's book. Lemond was crap during the 89 Giro but suffered and finally won the Tour

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
xrayvision said:

For a rider that's not on the top of his game and not a power rider the First Week is the killer. Straining to stay in position and avoid crashes will be the test.

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
IndianCyclist said:
Talent can beat preparation if the suffering is done before the tour. He should have taken a page out of Lemond's book. Lemond was crap during the 89 Giro but suffered and finally won the Tour

remember Hushovd (and bout 20 other riders) outclimbing Andy in the first week in 2011?

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Well Andy said in interview that his weight was like it used to be during the tdf and I can believe that. The guy looks thin man

Form wise it's still speculation how good he truly is, but he won't be carrying any gram to much up the mountains that for sure.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
webbie146 said:
Well Andy said in interview that his weight was like it used to be during the tdf and I can believe that. The guy looks thin man

Form wise it's still speculation how good he truly is, but he won't be carrying any gram to much up the mountains that for sure.

Damn i wanted to come up with a very similar post. Man Andy is ****ing ready, ****.^^
Never seen him that skinny before.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Marco Pantani said:
Damn i wanted to come up with a very similar post. Man Andy is ****ing ready, ****.^^
Never seen him that skinny before.

True might be the lowest body fat % he's ever been in. Pictures like these can make rumors like 'Andy does not train hard' to rest too. You don't get that kind of look when u are not giving it 100% effort.

webbie146 said:
True might be the lowest body fat % he's ever been in. Pictures like these can make rumors like 'Andy does not train hard' to rest too. You don't get that kind of look when u are not giving it 100% effort.

+1
but it was obvious that he trains hard when you looked at his legs muscles too. scary fit, i can't imagine how skinny will be in the 3rd week
andy will be a powerhouse in the mountains

webbie146 said:

How one can decide a rider's body fat compared to previous years by a photo of the rider wearing a short sleeve shirt is a talent that has obviously escaped me. I can recall him looking similarly slim in older shots but to be able to conclude that his body fat is "the lowest" he's ever been is beyond a reach.

Edit: The only conclusion I can come to from that photo is that his arms look more tan than I can recall.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Put your comments in the clinic where they belong webvan, he doesn't look anymore "unnatural" than Froome for example does.

Back on topic, hard to tell from a photo, but that one would indicate he looks fit. Hopefully the photo isn't deceiving and he is indeed fit enough to do well in France.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
How one can decide a rider's body fat compared to previous years by a photo of the rider wearing a short sleeve shirt is a talent that has obviously escaped me. I can recall him looking similarly slim in older shots but to be able to conclude that his body fat is "the lowest" he's ever been is beyond a reach.

Edit: The only conclusion I can come to from that photo is that his arms look more tan than I can recall.

Haha I can learn u :p No I looked at multiple recent pictures of him and my point was, from a body physic point of view, he looks ready for the tour.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
i have a lower % body fat and i primarily sit on my *** :D

Hahaha impressive, your calorie intake bust be pretty low huh :p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:

Completely agree, which raises the question - where did he find that amount of sun?! Seems to me it's been mostly raining over here... secret Tenerife training camp?! ;)