• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

Page 184 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
manafana said:
Andy has had a horrible two years to just turn up and have it all of sudden for this tour would really annoy me as bike fan.

I don't get your point. Last year, Bruyneel asked him to more or less forgo the ardennes to have the first big peak in July. We know what happened in June. After the injury, he couldn't ride his bike for a long time and he had to fight hard to come back. It took way over six months.

So, how could you feel annoyed?

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Marco Pantani said:
I don't get your point. Last year, Bruyneel asked him to more or less forgo the ardennes to have the first big peak in July. We know what happened in June. After the injury, he couldn't ride his bike for a long time and he had to fight hard to come back. It took way over six months.

So, how could you feel annoyed?

Not sure if he is alluding to Clinic matters. Andy has always had the Tour as his target for the year. I don't see the problem if he does do well. He has spent the year training for it after all

nick101 said:
Well some of that attitude rubbed off onto Froome imo. He pretty much kicked Wiggins from first equal in the Sky leadership, to fourth in a brutal coup. Now Wiggin's is a broken man :confused: and may not do another GT ever. Not a Wiggin's fan but you can't help but feel sorry for him. Hopefully Andy's gf is better :)

Wiggins lack of motivation is what kicked Wiggins from his top dog at Sky pedestal, not anything that Froome did other than out performed him by a huge margin in 2013. I don't feel sorry for Wiggins. He has his Tour win and he made his own bed by not preparing comparably to 2012. He had to know that Froome was threat to his leadership but that wasn't motivation enough. I can respect his desire to spend time with his family and that is what he now has much time to do.

nick101 said:
How? we all know Froome didn't want Wiggin's in a similar leadership position at Sky as Wiggins could've threatened his leadership position. Yes Wiggins certainly was unlucky at the Giro, but he didn't deserve the result he got. Your attitude appears similar to the Italians, who were cheering when Wiggins crashed and booed him when he was racing. To demote a recent Tour winner completely out of any leadership is just stupidity. Sure Froome deserves a high leadership position at Sky and this years Tour leadership, but Wiggins didn't deserve to be treated that way.

In the end Brailsford made the decision not Froome. It's a business and they chose to back the rider that had the best chance at success.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZiaKy6YW2E

Really good video by Leopard-Trek. They talk about Galibier, teamwork, Andy, the Tour, and other stuff. Andy sounds really motivated in it. I think he is determined to have a good showing at the Tour and do well in it. And I think he indeed will do well. Tomorrow it starts, Allez Andy! Show us the Schleck that dominated the slopes of Galibier and made everyone hurt in the fog shrouded Tourmalet. :)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZiaKy6YW2E

Really good video by Leopard-Trek. They talk about Galibier, teamwork, Andy, the Tour, and other stuff. Andy sounds really motivated in it. I think he is determined to have a good showing at the Tour and do well in it. And I think he indeed will do well. Tomorrow it starts, Allez Andy! Show us the Schleck that dominated the slopes of Galibier and made everyone hurt in the fog shrouded Tourmalet. :)

I was just going to post this! What Maxime Monfort did on that day was truly amazing, that was a big part of what made that win so special. It could not have been done without the great work that he did. I am very glad that they made this video to show that!!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
There were a couple of camera shots of him near the front looking over the riders in front - he looked like a rabbit in headlights - petrified !

No he didn't, he looked calm, collected, and comfortable. Was good to see him riding near the front and staying out of trouble. Very glad he didn't crash yesterday. That's the absolute last thing he needs right now.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Schleck is back, it was obvious he would. Every year is the same except he usually has a top 10 classic result or two. Schleck to finish on the podium

Schleck is looking good that's for sure but doesn't mean anything yet. Too early to conclude anything yet. We will have to get to one of the tougher stages. For sure he will lose time in the ITT. But I would wait to see his performance on Stage 7,8,9. First climbing tests. Make or break. If he survives these then there is some hope in spite of him losing a chunk in the ITT. We will know his true form in those 3 stages.