• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

Page 185 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
He looks great today. Without Cancellara, the team lost time, not a lot, but Andy looks strong in an ITT that didnt suit him at all.

Of course Contador and Froome looked better and they are going to put some time on it in the first ITT, but maybe not much.

To me his best TTT ever (wasn't difficult:p)

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
on the team website Andy said that he felt good but doesnt consider himself a favourite. his goal is a stage win. I think he has a good chance. Which stage do you think he'll target?
Something is telling me he has a good chance to finish in the top 5 and then target the vuelta win.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
on the team website Andy said that he felt good but doesnt consider himself a favourite. his goal is a stage win. I think he has a good chance. Which stage do you think he'll target?
Something is telling me he has a good chance to finish in the top 5 and then target the vuelta win.

Ventoux or Alpe du Huez IMO.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:

He is obviously not going to call out himself as favourite for the tour. This way he can't disappoint. Everybody has him as this tours possible surprise! :)

gruppeto993 said:
Andy doesn't aim at small races like the Vuelta. That's a thing of his character. Maybe he can go there to some holidays, have a few drinks and generally enjoy himself :)

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
Andy has been looking comfortable on the climbs and in the TTT today. I think that boy will have something to say in the rest of the Tour. Maybe a nice stage win and a top 10? We shall see!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's back to his old form, but the signs are promising and he's showing potential :D. Especially he can now actually keep comfortably in the peleton.

The stages in Corsica were not going to answer many questions about the GC riders. This weekend will be the first good indicator of where riders like Andy Schleck, Evans and Hesjedal stand as far as a high finish on GC goes. There are doubts about all three for different reasons. If they show weakness early in the Tour, well their Tour is finished with what's to come later.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Alpe-d'Huez is possible to take only from the peloton which I find very difficult until Froome is in the race. I think Andy aims GC anyways.

Perhaps, but I could still see Andy taking it if he goes all in. I could see a performance like Galibier coming from him there. My only concern is how he would handle the descent the first time on the Alpe.

There are too many TTs and they are working too much in favor of Sky. Andy was never and will never be good in TTs.

The worst part of this tour that I am now realizing is the timings of the ITTs. There is so much room for Froome to cover any mistakes. Even if guys like Andy, Evans, Hesjadel or Contador attack on climbs and make up some time...and pressumingly Froome loses time there, he still has enough time to make up in the ITT on stage 17 - agree its a MTT but still I believe he will do far better than most people there. Even this TTT yesterday has made most GC guys lose 20 precious seconds. Sucks big time!

I just hope this TdF is about Froome attacking as well rather than just defending...

Andy's true test comes this weekend. If he survives and does not lose time at stage 7/8/9 then I would be very hopeful for the second half of the tour :)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Too many TT kilometres? Are you insane? If Schleck can't cope with a 25km TTT he's in the wrong job. A worthy TdF champion should be capable of holding their own against the watch or they aren't fit for purpose.

1983 245km
1984 196km
1985 232km
1989 190.3

2010 61km
2011 65.5km
2012 101.4km
2013 90km

Schleck just needs to face up to the fact that he's the problem, not the course.

ultimobici said:
Too many TT kilometres? Are you insane? If Schleck can't cope with a 25km TTT he's in the wrong job. A worthy TdF champion should be capable of holding their own against the watch or they aren't fit for purpose.

1983 245km
1984 196km
1985 232km
1989 190.3

2010 61km
2011 65.5km
2012 101.4km
2013 90km

Schleck just needs to face up to the fact that he's the problem, not the course.

If Froome is simply going to win coz of the TTs then it is not worth it. And thats the point a worthy TdF winner should be good at other stages also. Not simply make up too much time in the TT and ride the other stages comfortably.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ultimobici said:
1983 245km

Of course I don't know the rest of this parcours (i.e. were there many MTFs) and it is futile to speculate, but I wonder where Tony Martin would end up today if we had a GT with that many ITT km's

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:

I have been keenly following Andys progress as it is always interesting to see how a rider reacts to adversity or bad luck.

A top 5 would be an outstanding result IMO - I just don't see it. A top 10 is more realistic, as I expect him to suffer one bad day at least.
And if he is off the pace in the Pyrenees I expect him to shift goals and concentrate on a big Stage win - Ventoux of Alpe d'Huez.

Either way he has worked hard to get to this level so I expect it to continue and the Vuelta to be a target.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Of course I don't know the rest of this parcours (i.e. were there many MTFs) and it is futile to speculate, but I wonder where Tony Martin would end up today if we had a GT with that many ITT km's

Probably there were not 5 x 50 k of ITT. Imagine a 100 km ITT. Kyrienka wins the Tour then.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
saneguy said:
If Froome is simply going to win coz of the TTs then it is not worth it. And thats the point a worthy TdF winner should be good at other stages also. Not simply make up too much time in the TT and ride the other stages comfortably.

Difference is Froome, by comparison, is a more complete rider. He can TT and climb. If Schleck is deficient on one of those areas it is his fault not the organisers.