• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ea089e30-025a-45b1-a0d6-a80c2593df1c.jpg

Also great respect for Posthuma, Monfort, Devenyns and above all Cadel Evans who showed once again he is a great champion

/edit: forgot Thomas Voeckler!

The Schlecks did just about everything perfect. Pity Andy lost time in the last couple of k's, but I think it's understandable and expected, because for 60+km, he did the ride of the tour and IMO, the ride of his life. He didn't really blow up, he was just tiring. I actually thought they would actually catch him early on, but once the gat went over 4mins, I knew he was clear. It actually may be a blessing in disguise for not taking the jersey, because I feel like others would attack early on tomorrow, and for him and his team to defend for the whole stage wouldn't bode well for final climb up the Alpe D'Huez. I also feel like the Schlecks will attack just as hard tomorrow, and I am hoping this is Andy's tour, even though I wouldn't mind seeing Cadel in yellow. Andy is gonna need another minute or so before the ITT. Great racing at the Tour!!!

BullsFan22 said:
The Schlecks did just about everything perfect. Pity Andy lost time in the last couple of k's, but I think it's understandable and expected, because for 60+km, he did the ride of the tour and IMO, the ride of his life. He didn't really blow up, he was just tiring. I actually thought they would actually catch him early on, but once the gat went over 4mins, I knew he was clear. It actually may be a blessing in disguise for not taking the jersey, because I feel like others would attack early on tomorrow, and for him and his team to defend for the whole stage wouldn't bode well for final climb up the Alpe D'Huez. I also feel like the Schlecks will attack just as hard tomorrow, and I am hoping this is Andy's tour, even though I wouldn't mind seeing Cadel in yellow. Andy is gonna need another minute or so before the ITT. Great racing at the Tour!!!

Amazing ride by Andy. My guess is that a stage win with this sort of a gap was a possibility to Leopard, but that the true plan was a setup for a Frank attack after a desperate chase by the other favorites. Andy was too much, and the favorites couldn't or wouldn't chase. What a ride.

A

Anonymous

As much as I don't like him, tip of the hat to him. He did what nobody else had the balls to do.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
Chapeau Andy showing the Passion and guts that few thought u had.
Actually a lot of us knew he had it - you don't finish second in the Tour without it. Just for some reason he became a popular whipping boy.

A

Anonymous

I hope today stop the "chain-gate" thing from coming up again.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, this will be the catalyst for him to make sustained attacks in future. He has always had the legs but in his mind he was too dependant on keeping his brother with him. It is no surprise that his best form in a GT was after his brother broke his collarbone imo.

Obviously, Contador is still the man to beat when he is fresh but I think (hope) that Andy has moved a step closer to his level. Epic stage.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
No_Balls said:
Still don´t like the guy. But as much as i have whined on him, today he earned my respect. Hats off.

And Jobiwan can feel unashamed again.

Already changed my sig! Let's hope I don't have to do it again!!!

Kwibus said:
Heh this is awesome. I´m sure there will still be haters, but today he made history.

Normally he would have Contador with him attacking, but Contador obviously wasn´t good.

Great ride by Andy. 10000+´s from me, because this is what Ive been hoping for.

I was a hater, but it was nothing personal. I was upset that he wasn't taking the Tour by the scruff of the neck and was riding like an undertaker.

Apparently it took Fracesco Moser slapping him around last night during a meeting and suddenly Andy is on the podium announcing "No Guts No Glory" after one of the best attacks ever.

Hats off to him.

I always figured he'd be good these 3 days but I was very impressed by his guts. He finally went all or nothing and hopefully it payed off. I can't wait for tomorrow if he can recover from today he'll end up in the yellow in Paris.