• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

Page 257 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Zam_Olyas said:
A top form Andy would have shaken things up a little bit in ze mountains..i guess. 2015 tdf.

Like what? :confused:
Riding backwards, attacking after the finish line, or looking hard at Froome or whoever is riding next to him...
A top form Andy would have further complained about the cobbles, wet descents, too hot weather, too windy, too cold, too less race stoppages & rider strikes... Did I forgot something?
IOW: Thanks god he´s gone, and big siz isn´t around either...
:cool:
I agree with Foxxy :eek:

Imagine. ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

RedheadDane said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Zam_Olyas said:
A top form Andy would have shaken things up a little bit in ze mountains..i guess. 2015 tdf.

Riding backwards, attacking after the finish line, or looking hard at Froome or whoever is riding next to him...
A top form Andy would have further complained about the cobbles, wet descents, too hot weather, too windy, too cold, too less race stoppages & rider strikes... Did I forgot something?

Well... there was always the long-range Gallibier attack. :cool:

Yep, one desperate attack after watching his chances fade... stage after stage, chance after chance, and full well knowing their is a long ITT to come.

LaFlorecita said:
RedheadDane said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Zam_Olyas said:

Besides that, has Andy ever done a daring attack :confused: I remember he would do last km attacks to gain a couple seconds (Schleckonds we'd call them back then) He lost the 2010 and 2011 TDF on the road because he was too passive.
We? who is "we"? your opinion doesnt matter here because you said the lance is cooler than andy and post like this makes you look a tad biased .. quote="LaFlorecita"]Anyway, I am happy that this is all Andy will ever get. When Contador got banned, he said that he would not regard it as his victory. But once it became clear he'd never get the chance to win the TDF for real, he embraced the "victory" as his own and acted as if he was the one who deserved it most from the start anyway, saying in interviews that he'll never forgive Alberto for what he did to him, he never saw Alberto as a friend, that he is a way better person than Alberto. Well, **** you Andy. You deserve nothing more than someone else's scraps. I only wish Alberto could have pushed that stupid trophy down Andy's throat. I wish Alberto would step up and stop being such a classy human being. He should be more mean, more cruel. He should stop saying nice words about Andy in every interview. He should tell Andy to go screw himself, to walk to hell, he should tell Andy "ha, how does it feel, knowing that I will always be way more successful than you. You're a pathetic cyclist, and a pathetic person. Go cry with your mommy, pathetic whiny crybaby. You're a loser." But he won't.

I am extremely happy that in the back of Andy's mind, he'll always know that it wasn't his win. He'll always know who got the kisses from Cameron Diaz, he'll always know who received the yellow jersey on the Champs Elysées, he'll always know Alberto will be the one regarded as the Tour winner by the majority of the fans, he'll always know his Tour victory will forever have an asterisk next to it, he'll always know he screwed up on Port de Balès and was a crybaby when he started whining about it, and he'll always know he didn't wait for Alberto on the cobbles, while the entire peloton waited for him on the stage to Spa. He'll always know he wasn't professional enough, he'll always know he should have spent more time training and less time getting drunk. And it must really, really hurt to know Alberto was 1000x the cyclist he was, and that even though he was seen as the next big thing, the heir to Alberto's crown, he never stepped up to it and instead Alberto is still dominating while Andy is fishing in Luxembourg :D Ahhh..... schadenfreude.[/quote]

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Ah, this is the cycling forum I remember. :rolleyes: ;)

hrotha said:
Afrank said:
I too miss the old days, a single day of the Contador v. Schleck battle was better then all the mountain stages we've had so far.
Are you thinking of the day they held hands up the Tourmalet, or of the day when they did a track stand and allowed Samu and Menchov to get ahead?

To name a few, Tourmalet, The Port de Bales chain drop, Le Grand-Bornand, Galibier of course (still one of the most epic moves we've seen in the last 10 years). There are undoubtably more that I just can't recall the specific details of atm.

Maybe its just nostalgia, but I remember being overall more excited and entertained by the Tours Schleck was in than I have been on any stage this Tour.

This is probably not very objective but I also think he was a great rider. Yes its right that he only did one attack like the one on the way to the galibier but he was 26 back than, so who knows what he had done without his injurys. Moreover what about le grand bornand 2009 or his attack on the madeleine 2010. You can't compare these attacks very well because there were other riders who went with him but still that was some great stuff. (the chaingate attack was actually pretty good as well but everyone is talking about the chaingate and not about the attack itself)
Moreover a crazy amount of persons here are contador fans who can't find anything bad about him but they blame andy for stuff like the track standing or the tourmalet 2010. Thats just my opinion so maybe I got something wrong but whatever you think, I would love to see a comeback from him (I just don't believe in it :( )

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I am no Contador fan (actually I am very critical of him in the other forum section)... but remember very well the look-at-each-other-"attacks" between Schleck & him. But to ACs honour, at least he tried and didnt complain about weather, chains, cobbles, descents, and what the heck else.
And AC showed up a whole season, not just for two days a year. Schleck was worse than 3-weeks-a-year-LA. Much worse. Again: It´s good Schleck is gone.
It became so absurd, that Andy couldnt make it trou a race without his big siz pampering him trou the finish line.

Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I am no Contador fan (actually I am very critical of him in the other forum section)... but remember very well the look-at-each-other-"attacks" between Schleck & him. But to ACs honour, at least he tried and didnt complain about weather, chains, cobbles, descents, and what the heck else.
And AC showed up a whole season, not just for two days a year. Schleck was worse than 3-weeks-a-year-LA. Much worse. Again: It´s good Schleck is gone.
It became so absurd, that Andy couldnt make it trou a race without his big siz pampering him trou the finish line.
Were was nibali during the rest of the season? Exactly, nowhere. But still most people here say that he is the rider of the tour because of his attacks. You know, its not such a big problem if someone is nowhere for the rest of the season when he makes the tour a better race. Of course I would prefer it if everyone would race in many races but its better than nothing.
Of course you are right that the complaining was stupid but once again that didnt make the race itself worse. He complained about the cobbles but he used them to put time into his rivals (I don't want to discuss about the attack itself but its a fact that he attacked although he didnt like the terrain) and his two most famous attacks of the tour 2010 were on stages with downhill finishes so again the fact that he disliked descents didnt change the fact that he attacked there.

Re:

Geraint Too Fast said:
Miss you, Andy. :(
20092496_109785_670.jpg

Good old times :(

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
RedheadDane said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Zam_Olyas said:

Yep, one desperate attack after watching his chances fade... stage after stage, chance after chance, and full well knowing their is a long ITT to come.

Very few riders would still try it instead of giving up and accepting defeat

Re:

Red Rick said:
The man who would go on RAF no matter what

Didnt he go on Redoute in 2009?

On a day like this I miss Andy. Well, I will almost miss Andy. The most aesthetic beautiful climber for me, I grew up with him. For all of his shortcomings, he is a very good man and an extremely gifted bike rider. Wish he would have won a Tour.

I remember that many of us, myself included, used to moan about Andy so much. Now we miss him. What has happened to the current crop of riders? At least Tommy V gave us half a show today. I'm not throwing the entire peloton under the bus, but it's the general trend and attitude I'm criticizing.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

On a day like this I miss Andy. Well, I will almost miss Andy. The most aesthetic beautiful climber for me, I grew up with him. For all of his shortcomings, he is a very good man and an extremely gifted bike rider. Wish he would have won a Tour.
Well, he did.

CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Well, he did.

Oh please.. I dont support riders winning at the desk, Contador has won 3 Tour's and Andy 0 in my science fiction world

Valv.Piti said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Well, he did.

Oh please.. I dont support riders winning at the desk, Contador has won 3 Tour's and Andy 0 in my science fiction world

The history books will show Schleck as a TdF winner.

TRENDING THREADS