• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck Discussion thread.

Page 260 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
As much as I'd like to think Contador and Schleck get along, getting a signed jersey from the guy who's ban got you your Tour is bound to be weird and unnecessary.
I guess you can look at it as a gift from the team he finished his career in.
Contador's presence is certainly giving it wider prospective.

Re:

Beech Mtn said:
Berto and the boys gave him a signed jersey

DD1zthpXUAAXRbq.jpg

Second jersey that Berto gives to Andy. He really must be a nice guy. :D

EDIT: Btw, miss Andy.

Back in the good old days I supported Andy (although I didn't like Fränk very much) and for that I disliked Alberto, but in perspective the Schleck/Conti rivalry was much more enjoyable than the Froome vs. Quintana, Froome vs. Conti or Quintana vs. Conti ones).

And now, 7 years later, I'm rooting for a Contador win, how things change. :p

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

One reason the Schleck v Contador rivalry was good is that it was an actual rivalry between riders reasonably close in ability, not one rider annihilating the other every July.

Re:

Great to see Andy looking healthy and enjoying himself. I dont think he regrets himself seeing how much it took of him to reach and stay on top. You can have all the talents you want (and AS had the talent of a great) but if the work ethic isnt there it simply isnt.

Re:

Red Rick said:
As much as I'd like to think Contador and Schleck get along, getting a signed jersey from the guy who's ban got you your Tour is bound to be weird and unnecessary.
From 2 interviews yesterday it sounds like Andy is still bitter - again rambling about the 2010 TDF being rightfully his (almost as if he needs to convince himself?) and mentioning a bunch of GC contenders when discussing their chances but not a peep about Contador, I doubt he'd forget about him especially after meeting him the night before - Berto doesn't hold grudges though

Funnily enough in recent years I've gotten the impression Frank is much more friendly towards Contador. I saw some pics of the two of them at the start yesterday.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

RedheadDane said:
Red Rick said:
I deleted a bunch of off topic posts. Stopping that would be much appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to do more than deleting posts

Yeah, sorry. Shouldn't have responded to the initial post. :eek:

It's possibly been mentioned before, but I think Andy is a prime example of how talent isn't always enough. You need to work as well, and I think I've heard several people - himself included - say that hard Work wasn't exactly his strongest side.
Back during the Saxo Days Danish TV asked all the riders on that year's Tour team who the laziest rider was, guess who everyone pointed at... though he claimed that he was just relaxed. :p

In my opinion, Andy started to fade away when he left Saxo. I assume, that at the end of the day Riis was one of key elements regarding his success.

The Hitch said:
jsem94 said:
Andy is younger than Froome. Let that sink in....
Davide Rebellin and Chris Horner were born 1 year after Fabio Casartelli.

I think these kind of outliers have more to do with the ridiculousness of the older riders late peak though
Horner and Rebellin were both born three years before Frank Vandenbroucke.

On another note: Andy was the forum's favorite punching bag for several years leading up to his retirement. Andy's last race was the TDF in the summer of 2014. That was the same summer that Betancur gained all of that weight and became the forum's new favorite punching-bag. Now that Betancur seems like he is a responsible professional again, I wonder who the next forum obsession will be?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
From 2 interviews yesterday it sounds like Andy is still bitter - again rambling about the 2010 TDF being rightfully his (almost as if he needs to convince himself?) and mentioning a bunch of GC contenders when discussing their chances but not a peep about Contador, I doubt he'd forget about him especially after meeting him the night before - Berto doesn't hold grudges though

Funnily enough in recent years I've gotten the impression Frank is much more friendly towards Contador. I saw some pics of the two of them at the start yesterday.

Andy was on NBCSN today, and they asked him about Contador's chances in the Tour. Andy basically said he couldn't compete for the win, possibly maybe a chance at the podium. Said AC was a champion and he didn't want to disrespect him, but that he can't go into the red too much anymore (said some stuff that sounded like AC was basically past his prime, although he didn't come right out and say that, more implied it).

They asked Andy if anybody could challenge Sky for the win, and he said no. Then they asked what he thought about the direction of cycling with Sky being so dominant these last few years, and Andy said cycling was going in a good direction. He did say the Giro was the most interesting race this year.

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:

In all fairness, Contador is clearly past it. I honestly don't think he makes top 5.