• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anger at the idiots - why?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
So whether you are in a car or on a bike, the faster you are moving in an intersection, the less chance anyone has of hitting you?

Point of not waiting for a green if possible is to avoid interactions with cars, so if it's at all possible to cross while it's red without interacting with moving cars, then fine. I'm not endorsing obstructing traffic, just the opposite. I don't know where you got the faster thru intersection from.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
What a jerk! Call the police!! :D
Christian-Adam-Backwards-on-Bicycle-playing-Violin.jpg

Notice anything else about that bike?
There's no rubber on the rims!!!

Seems as though he's already run through one police spike belt :D

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I give everyone sh!t equally -- motorist or cyclist.

Run a red, cut me off, sail through a stop sign, don't signal and hit me... doesn't matter, I've got a special delivery just for YOU! :D

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Dug up an old YouTube favorite that will cause all the nosy nancies here to whine, bitch and moan about every rule of the road being broken here.

Disclaimer: I just came back a winter in Budapest about the time this video first appeared, riding with my friend that owns Herce-Hurca bike messenger service, and no other city that I've ridden in compares to the follies in Budapest. This 'Bike messengers are on crack' vid looks like a field day compared to what I had to contend with.

Now chew on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv-ISen-UTQ

May 9, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Dug up an old YouTube favorite...

Ah yes! This tasty sweet treat!
(That BIG boy can really move!)

But let's be real here...it's NYC...the average auto speed is something like 13kkm/hr. And besides, there is only ONE NYC, if you're going ride crazy, might as well do it there! I would argue it's one of the cities where you HAVE to ride like this to stay alive! Okay, maybe the whole riding AGAINST oncoming traffic is a bit ***. Are there ANY laws in New York?! Let's face it, your hometown doesn't deserve cycle moves such as these. Play safe.

(p.s. -- I love how at the very start of the race the one dude takes a left while everyone else goes straight. Then about 4 min. in he comes tearing around a corner from the right to join up with everyone again! Same guy at the very end, I think he wins it?)

guilder said:
If giving examples to support why someone is or isn't justified in getting ****ed at their fellow riders for defying arbitrary automobile rules applied to cyclists, is off topic, then everyone is off topic.

again, you're missing the point...
you're not giving examples of why it annoys you when someone does go through red light. You, like a few others are just justifying why you do go through red lights...
I'm asking you as to why someone else's [perceived] foolish behaviour annoys/enrages you...

How does your theory of not waiting for the green light at an intersection explain your dislike of someone going through against the signal???????

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
To be honest; I don't give a shhhhh what others do, or say. It's water off a ducks back as the saying goes. Really the best thing, the very very best thing to do when something ticks you off, is to just ride away...5 minutes later it's all forgotten. Confronting someone else when they cut you off in traffic is not going to lead to justice- on the contrary, the chance that the confrontation can escalate and get out of control are pretty good; then you are left explaining to the cops your side of the story. What's the point ? I try not to sweat these little things in life- there really are much bigger fish to fry. Someone being reckless on their bike is bound to hit the pavement, and the consequences are theirs to deal with. That biker Darcy who was run into a solid object and killed last summer would not have been killed that night if he did not choose to confront the driver of the car he had a problem with. "Anger at the idiots"- who is the idiot ? Let it go, enjoy your life.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:

Amazing stuff. Skills and balls. And all on fixies too. I was too busy watching and waiting for a messenger to disappear underneath a car or bus to see if they had brakes or not. Regardless, great skills.

I don't personally condone this kind of cycling on the roads because I think if I/we respect the road laws and are seen to do so by motorists, then motorists in turn may respect cyclists. However, I typically ride in the 'burbs and countryside and not through city streets. As Steel4Ever asks, are there any laws in NYC?

Thanks for the entertainment! :)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
elapid said:
And all on fixies too

Not all fixed, watch it again, there's some freewheeling in there. Another thing is that this wasn't just usual messenger work footage, it was an alleycat race. We were riding like this in Budapest at night, 2am on Saturdays, bar hopping.:eek:

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
Really the best thing, the very very best thing to do when something ticks you off, is to just ride away...5 minutes later it's all forgotten.

Really? So if I get hit by a car -- as in the 2-ton metal object physically careens into me -- I'm just supposed to just laugh it off and ride into the sunset?

Let's say some crackpot pulls out a gun on the street one day and starts firing off rounds. You aren't hit but you can feel the bullets whiz by your head. Are you just going to say, "Ah! Those crazy kids!", and go find the nearest clean underwear store?

For instance yesterday, I was riding along in the DESIGNATED BICYCLE LANE (complete with solid lines -- ie. do not cross!), when a big lovely moving van decided he couldn't, for some reason, drive in his designated automobile lane. He squeezed me right into the gutter and -- scared for my LIFE -- I hammered on the side of his van to let him know what the **** was going on. Then HE proceeded to stop and wanted to confront ME -- even though HE was in the wrong and almost killed me.

I've had crazy drivers DELIBERATELY take a run at me and scream that I don't belong on the road etc. etc. So...I guess 'attempted assault' (murder? -- it was a deliberate action!) is easily forgotten and should just be shrugged off? Maybe in your little world.

So yeah, when it comes to mindless drivers almost killing me, I will definitely confront each and every one of them.

I have also gone to the cops to report insane and dangerous drivers. Turns out they are just as insane with the cops and not just a hatred for cyclists.

Welcome to the concrete jungle.

It is simply impractical for a bicyclist to come to a complete stop at every stop light and stop sign

Welll... same for motorists isn't it poor little lambs. It's so inconvenient having to stop. Tell you what. Let's make all laws about anything completely optional.

I mean who are you to tell me what to do? If I want to kill you, then don't hassle me. Maaaaaaan.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
the chance that the confrontation can escalate and get out of control are pretty good; then you are left explaining to the cops your side of the story. What's the point ? I try not to sweat these little things in life- there really are much bigger fish to fry.

I learnt this the hard way. A driver almost killed me; I cursed him; he got out of the car and punched me very hard in the face and then around the head (I was wearing a helmet!). I reported the incident to the police. I tried to get some peole who had stood and watched to give me their names so they could act as witnesses. They all turned away. A few days later the police told me the driver had launched a counter-claim against me and the best thing for all concerned would be to forget about it.

Incidentally, at the time I was riding conservatively and legally. The two times I have been hit by a car it was from behind when I was riding solo close to the gutter. In my experience, riding according to the law in cities (or along cycle paths) is no safer than flouting it by riding according to my urban cyclist's common sense and instinct.

Animal said:
Welll... same for motorists isn't it poor little lambs. It's so inconvenient having to stop. Tell you what. Let's make all laws about anything completely optional.

I mean who are you to tell me what to do? If I want to kill you, then don't hassle me. Maaaaaaan.

Wait a minute, treating a stop sign like a yield sign while on a bike kills other people?

Is this something like, every time I roll a stop sign God kills a kitten?!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:
Really? So if I get hit by a car -- as in the 2-ton metal object physically careens into me -- I'm just supposed to just laugh it off and ride into the sunset?

Let's say some crackpot pulls out a gun on the street one day and starts firing off rounds. You aren't hit but you can feel the bullets whiz by your head. Are you just going to say, "Ah! Those crazy kids!", and go find the nearest clean underwear store?

For instance yesterday, I was riding along in the DESIGNATED BICYCLE LANE (complete with solid lines -- ie. do not cross!), when a big lovely moving van decided he couldn't, for some reason, drive in his designated automobile lane. He squeezed me right into the gutter and -- scared for my LIFE -- I hammered on the side of his van to let him know what the **** was going on. Then HE proceeded to stop and wanted to confront ME -- even though HE was in the wrong and almost killed me.

I've had crazy drivers DELIBERATELY take a run at me and scream that I don't belong on the road etc. etc. So...I guess 'attempted assault' (murder? -- it was a deliberate action!) is easily forgotten and should just be shrugged off? Maybe in your little world.

So yeah, when it comes to mindless drivers almost killing me, I will definitely confront each and every one of them.

I have also gone to the cops to report insane and dangerous drivers. Turns out they are just as insane with the cops and not just a hatred for cyclists.

Welcome to the concrete jungle.

if you get hit by a car and can ride away you should be able to laugh it off; usually it's an ambulance that carries you away.

that said, what is your point ? are you going to get all bent out of shape over every little thing someone does wrong while driving and while you are on a bike ? I have my share of horror stories- I added another one late this afternoon even- but nothing happened so I won't bore you with it- I've lived on my bike for years and I am a very careful driver- but I am still uncomfortable driving around a cyclist, last thing I want is to hit someone- but I am not going to claim to be a good driver,maybe just a lucky one,I have poor depth perception- I think it is unrealistic to expect everyone driving a vehicle to have absolute mastery of their vehicle- and people make mistakes too. I don't think the cops really care when you go to the station to report an incident, so there you are just wasting your time.If you accuse everyone who passes uncomfortably close of trying to kill you and insist on confronting them then maybe you might want to restrict your cycling to single-use bike paths. Share the road share the risk.

BikeCentric said:
Wait a minute, treating a stop sign like a yield sign while on a bike kills other people?

Is this something like, every time I roll a stop sign God kills a kitten?!

Did I say that?

Well?

Did I?

My point was that it's just the smug "Well, of course it doesn't apply to ME" attitude that's wrong.

Stop lights are equally inconvenient for everyone.

If you ignore them, they you are an arrogant cahunt.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
if you get hit by a car and can ride away you should be able to laugh it off; usually it's an ambulance that carries you away.

that said, what is your point ? are you going to get all bent out of shape over every little thing someone does wrong while driving and while you are on a bike ? I have my share of horror stories- I added another one late this afternoon even- but nothing happened so I won't bore you with it- I've lived on my bike for years and I am a very careful driver- but I am still uncomfortable driving around a cyclist, last thing I want is to hit someone- but I am not going to claim to be a good driver,maybe just a lucky one,I have poor depth perception- I think it is unrealistic to expect everyone driving a vehicle to have absolute mastery of their vehicle- and people make mistakes too. I don't think the cops really care when you go to the station to report an incident, so there you are just wasting your time.If you accuse everyone who passes uncomfortably close of trying to kill you and insist on confronting them then maybe you might want to restrict your cycling to single-use bike paths. Share the road share the risk.

save you breath man, you are talking to the same dude that isn't going to budge his line to on coming bike traffic at he 22mph and 110 rpm on a path because he deserves it because he is tough and works harder than all other bikers Call him 'likes to fight guy' because he is at the level and others aren't at his level etc. blah blah ....

Oakley makes the shades that transforms a tuul

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
save you breath man, you are talking to the same dude that isn't going to budge his line to on coming bike traffic at he 22mph and 110 rpm on a path because he deserves it because he is tough and works harder than all other bikers Call him 'likes to fight guy' because he is at the level and others aren't at his level etc. blah blah ....

Oakley makes the shades that transforms a tuul

I think this thread is symptomatic of what is killing this forum. People willfully and purposely ignoring the point of the guy on the other side of the argument so that he may intentionally keep mischaracterizing the opposing view and distorting it.

Can't we all just get along?

As to the central theme of the thread, I hate to pile on with the 'The Rest of the World is Soooo much better than the U.S.' line, which to me is foolish, but the level of mastery and knowledge of the road required to be granted a license to drive here is just pitiful. So when these marginal drivers encounter anything -anythng that challenges their limited driving skills, this puts them 'into the red' of their comfort zone. Couple that with a sort of unspoken cultural understanding that cyclists are 3rd class citizens to be given just a bit more leeway than a squirrel, raccoon or possum and it's a recipe for cyclists not only being imperiled, but also receiving no benefit of the doubt in the event of any mishap.

Finally: What's with Oakley's? I try not to judge, but they rank right up there in the 'yahoo-meter' with guys with backwards ball caps. And the price is hilariously off the chart.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
again, you're missing the point...
you're not giving examples of why it annoys you when someone does go through red light. You, like a few others are just justifying why you do go through red lights...
I'm asking you as to why someone else's [perceived] foolish behaviour annoys/enrages you...

How does your theory of not waiting for the green light at an intersection explain your dislike of someone going through against the signal???????

I didn't give you a reason why it annoys me cause it doesn't annoy me.

When drivers become aware you are somewhere (perhaps in their blindspot) waiting along with them, not only do they have to exaggerate their every move, including checking mirrors, looking over their shoulders, cursing "where the fck did he go", but, if you clumsily fall over off your bike under their wheel while waiting, which wouldn't be hard to do with cleats & road shoes, chances are they wouldn't know it. I know, sounds like an extreme but it nearly happened to me coming to a stop on a soft shoulder. I felt lucky after that.

I'm saying there isn't one set of rules for the road. There is one for cars, and an enhanced version for road users traveling without two tons of armor protecting them.

Cyclists have to look out for themselves and adjust their behaviour to every situation.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow.

That's all I can say.
Seems as though this board is either people who follow the laws of the road (regarding their bicycle as a vehicle) and drive defensively, but...will act in an offensive manner when they feel their LIFE is threatened by motorists who do not follow the laws of the road.

Then there is the group of people who just do whatever they want and hope they don't get killed while running a red light or stop sign on their bike...or that they don't kill anyone while running a red light or stop sign in their car.

Unfortunately, people don't change. Really, they don't. So whatever group you are in, it's pretty hopeless to try and convince members of the other group there is an alternate reality.

Hope we never meet each other under "nasty" circumstances. :)

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
W-ANK.

The driver should be gang raped in jail.

OUCH!

No, seriously. O-U-C-H!

But seriously...vehicular crime laws/"justice" (lol) are a joke. I've had friends get killed by drunk drivers -- driver got 8 months. I've known a person who killed a cyclist while driving drunk. He got 6 months (and as far as I know has NEVER admitted guilt!). Not bad. Guess if you REALLY want to murder someone, just run them over on the street then slam back half a dozen shots and you're set! No death penalty, no life sentence...just a cushy few month stretch then out on the street again! Yahoo!

Oh...forgot about THIS one: a few years ago in the city in which I reside, two hillbilly ****nuts were both hammered one night driving the good ol' truck around town when they slam into a well known cycling avocate (he was lights and reflectors for miles!). Cyclist goes over the hood and lands in the bed/back of the truck -- critically injured but not dead. These inbred ****s don't even realize they hit 200 pounds of "something" and keep on driving. Long story short, the cyclist died. And...just to top it all off...neither driver was convicted of anything because (get ready for it!) -- THEY BOTH SAID THEY WERE DRIVING!

Yup. The awesome power of the law at it again!

Have a nice day.

Okay... tread-revival! Time to rant!

I can't be bothered about people not wearing helmets! That's their own headache (literally)

But there are other things which can get my blood boiling:
People who go impossibly slooooow (and takes up a lot of space on the biking lane. The whole riding-side-by-side and talking thing especially)
If the above mentioned people just crosses for red at a right-turn or at a T-junction! Just makes me want to scream "YOU IDIOT! NOW I'LL HAVE TO GO PAST YOU AGAIN!!"
People, who for some reason think that if they're dragging a bike they should do so in the biking lane. Yes, you have a bike with you, but you're still a pedestrian! Get into the pedestrian lane!
People parking their cars on the biking lane! Since when did the biking lane turn into an extra parking spot?

Phew... guess I better stop. I have serious road-rage!

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I'll never understand why anybody cares why I take a helmetless hour spin around the lake after a race, shopping trips with my grocery/beer bike, or early morning rides when absolutely nobody is around. Like in the Jobst Brandt thread I explained last season some loser, and total stranger mind you, actually had the nerve to ride up to me on one of my lake spins wanting to debate why I'm without brain bucket, needless to say I almost backhanded this fool right off his bike. Have no respect for the helmet Nazis, I'm actually with helmet most of the time is the ridiculous thing.

I also run red lights, especially when I'm training out past the suburbs. They're actually pushing for a law here in Minnesota to allow, you heard me, allow, make legal for cyclists to run lights and stop signs at low traffic levels. Amazing if it passes, but It wont change the way I've been riding for over 20 years. Although Flyor64 is absolutely right about groups hogging the road, which is why I'm adamant about giving space to motorists. The law here is 2 abreast if there's no shoulder.

All being said, I don't really give a flying you-know-what about what people think how I ride, and I don't need to justify my non-helmet wearing in certain situations. Talk, rave, cry, rant about it here. Whatever, to each his own I say. ;)

Personally I am all for freedom of choice to a point. However if you incur a head injury while not wearing a helmet then you shouldn't expect the taxpayer to fund your medical bills. (if you are in a country where that occurs of course)