• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Another Clen bust - Aussie cyclist

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
road.cc have this story about an Aussie rider being busted for Clen. Two year ban.

It's a very obvious case (Customs intercepted a package of the stuff being sent to him, no contamination or dodgy meat here) but what will the implications be for the Bertie case?

Chuffy said:
road.cc have this story about an Aussie rider being busted for Clen. Two year ban.

It's a very obvious case (Customs intercepted a package of the stuff being sent to him, no contamination or dodgy meat here) but what will the implications be for the Bertie case?
Well, it's yet more tangible evidence that clenbuterol is actually used by cyclists, despite the fanboys claiming Contador couldn't possibly have used it because it has no impact on your performance or because there are better products or whatever.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well, it's yet more tangible evidence that clenbuterol is actually used by cyclists, despite the fanboys claiming Contador couldn't possibly have used it because it has no impact on your performance or because there are better products or whatever.
Surely there's mixed opinions on that? Some (Joe Papp springs to mind) say it's no good, other sources say it is. It also has different levels of dosage for different outcomes. Not everyone will have the same opinion or chemical knowledge.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
One thing that threw me for a loop with the initial disclosure was how many posters were saying that clen did nothing for racers.

That's patently false. In my post-race career, I tried a couple of low-grade pharms to get an idea of what's what - to gain a little perspective, one could say.

Clen is awesome. Makes you lean and aggresive, and feels like your bronchii are about three times their normal size.

If only my stupid moral code would've allowed me to jack up before retirement... (I said that cynically).

Chuffy said:
Surely there's mixed opinions on that? Some (Joe Papp springs to mind) say it's no good, other sources say it is. It also has different levels of dosage for different outcomes. Not everyone will have the same opinion or chemical knowledge.
There's mixed opinions, but as long as enough peolple think it helps, it's enough. Maybe Joe Papp didn't use it correctly. Now we also have Matschiner saying clenbuterol is widely used in pro cycling.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Won't have much impact on Contador's case though as they have solid hard proof here. Clen helps when you take enough of it otherwise it wouldn't be on the list of forbidding products ;)

Chuffy said:

Frozen_Kangaroo_Boneless_Leg_Meat.jpg

;)

JMBeaushrimp said:
One thing that threw me for a loop with the initial disclosure was how many posters were saying that clen did nothing for racers.

That's patently false. In my post-race career, I tried a couple of low-grade pharms to get an idea of what's what - to gain a little perspective, one could say.

Clen is awesome. Makes you lean and aggresive, and feels like your bronchii are about three times their normal size.

If only my stupid moral code would've allowed me to jack up before retirement... (I said that cynically).

I hope you mean ironically... Or were you being cynical again?

Chuffy said:

And Joe Papp himself has in a thread on this forum talked about taking stuff just because others did although he didn't feel a benefit from it - just in case though!

A

Anonymous

From the Matschiner article:

"Clenbuterol in general is something that is quite common in the world of cycling. It's usually orally used on a pretty frequent basis. It's just a guess on my side, but hypothetically, if an athlete takes a very small dose it would help him breathe. The half life is so short that my only guess for a positive case for such a small amount is that he took a little too much."

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Unless they know who he is what can they do Australia is a big place heaps of clubs many not affiliated to Cycling Australia and no anti doping policy.
The ASADA act states if tested you may receive a sanction. and the sanction comes from Cycling Australia or triathlon Australia

If Sanctioned they simply join a club that isnt affiliated

They stop someone from partisapating in a club they are in breach of human rights Laws so they need a test.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
There have been some clen busts in other sports as well. A ping-pong champ failed shortly before AC's positive was made public and a poor tennis player was caught in may. The ITF revealed it last week.

More Info

According to the press release, the package was caught by customs November 2009.
-11 months from start to finish for processing the issue.
-Can't ride until 20 Sept, 2012.
-He looks to be the equivalent of an American Masters racer that's pretty fast.

Great....

The irony is pretty heavy in this local article about him.
http://www.cootamundraherald.com.au/news/local/sport/cycling/ready-to-race/1608414.aspx

I have a pretty low opinion of guys nowhere near a Pro field doping. A real Achiever. (see the Big Lebowski)

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Unless they know who he is what can they do Australia is a big place heaps of clubs many not affiliated to Cycling Australia and no anti doping policy.
The ASADA act states if tested you may receive a sanction. and the sanction comes from Cycling Australia or triathlon Australia

If Sanctioned they simply join a club that isnt affiliated

They stop someone from partisapating in a club they are in breach of human rights Laws so they need a test.

Well if the club isn't affliciated with Cycling Australia then you aren't racing on the road or track in that case ....

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
timbat said:
Well if the club isn't affliciated with Cycling Australia then you aren't racing on the road or track in that case ....

there is at least one club in my home city that is not affiliated with CA and have huge road race fields

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
According to the press release, the package was caught by customs November 2009.
-11 months from start to finish for processing the issue.
-Can't ride until 20 Sept, 2012.
-He looks to be the equivalent of an American Masters racer that's pretty fast.

Great....

The irony is pretty heavy in this local article about him.
http://www.cootamundraherald.com.au/news/local/sport/cycling/ready-to-race/1608414.aspx

I have a pretty low opinion of guys nowhere near a Pro field doping. A real Achiever. (see the Big Lebowski)
I am surprised Stephen Hines didn't use the defense,"The Clen. was for my toddler to win the push bike race."

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:

A recreational cyclist/casual racer is using it and that's "tangible evidence"? Anyone who disagrees with you is a "fan boy"?

Please, just stop.

131313 said:
A recreational cyclist/casual racer is using it and that's "tangible evidence"? Anyone who disagrees with you is a "fan boy"?

Please, just stop.
"Yet more", as in, it's not the only sign. There's Matschiner. There's Fuyu Li. There's many other athletes, including cyclists, who have tested positive for clenbuterol. Anyone who disagrees with me is not necessarily a "fan boy", but the people I was referring to in that post (people who just outright claimed there's no way a rider would use clenbuterol) certainly are fanboys.

A

Anonymous

131313 said:

Please, just stop.

Look 131313, I respect your opinion because you are the real deal (though I know the respect is not reciprocated), but in this case, there is more than just some recreational cyclist that suggests its use is widespread. I think your effort is to be fair to Contador, but you have to admit that there is more and more evidence coming to light that suggests that his use of Clen is more than incidental to ingestion of tainted meat.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
"Yet more", as in, it's not the only sign. There's Matschiner. There's Fuyu Li. There's many other athletes, including cyclists, who have tested positive for clenbuterol. Anyone who disagrees with me is not necessarily a "fan boy", but the people I was referring to in that post (people who just outright claimed there's no way a rider would use clenbuterol) certainly are fanboys.

I wanted to find out what it was so I looked on the internet. Advertised there are anabolic steroids clen etc. Totally sick. Everybody must be using it across sports. I hope the sporting bodies nail the users. If they can find the sellers great too. I am betting the sellers are from out of my country so what can the sporting bodies and feds do?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Look 131313, I respect your opinion because you are the real deal (though I know the respect is not reciprocated), but in this case, there is more than just some recreational cyclist that suggests its use is widespread. I think your effort is to be fair to Contador, but you have to admit that there is more and more evidence coming to light that suggests that his use of Clen is more than incidental to ingestion of tainted meat.

In other words, it 'taint the beef.