• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Another NHL player was diagnosed with blood clot

"If you read through the list of acquired risk factors, they all fit the general job description of a hockey player. Trauma (blocked shots): check. Surgical procedures: check. Immobilization: check. Pascal Dupuis, for example, suffered a major knee injury in late December 2013 in a game in Ottawa. Flying back to Pittsburgh his knee was immobilized, which led to initial clot formation in his affected leg. In the 2008 playoffs, Kimmo Timonen blocked a shot by Montreal defenseman Andrei Markov, leading to a blood clot in his left ankle."

A lot of the clots seem directly related to injuries caused by collisions with people and pucks. I don't see NHL players using EPO. Doing other things maybe, but fast twitch and strength are far more important than endurance for sure.

In the last couple of years, who had blood clots: Kreider, Stamkos, Vasilevskiy, Timonen, Dupuis, Fleischman, Letang, McCormick, Ortmeyer... definitely more

I think the number is too high.. this can not be explained by 'risk factors'. Not to mention that there are no such problems in other hockey leagues.

Endurance is also very important. There are 82 games and 170-180 days in the regular season + playoffs

Re:

proffate said:
Testosterone also boosts the body's natural EPO production, and men on TRT are usually instructed to test their hematocrit periodically and donate blood if the RBC is too high.

While i don't dispute the possibility of direct blood doping as a whole, this seems to be the best mehtod. Testosterone is pretty much king in male performance enhancement. Not only gains in strength, fat loss and recovery, but also increasing hematocrit.

TRENDING THREADS