• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Another one tomorrow!?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dutch newspaper telegraaf suggests there will be another positive case announced tomorrow.
the normally well-informed mart smeets kind of suggested the same thing on tv just now. the way he said it suggests a rabo rider....

let the speculation continue!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Not Boogerd, please. :(

friend of simon vroemen, linked to matchinger together with kohl and dekker...

i'd be more devastating if it's a current rider, not 'brought up' in the '90s.

if it's rabo i'm guessing menchov (cause mart seemed excited) or koos (no good explanation foor picking posthuma above him in the tour sqaud)

but that's all speculation. the thing is, it seems there is information, again, that's being withheld. somebody has to know, why is nobody leaking?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ilillillli said:
did di luca just win the giro?

Hahaha.... there must be a lot of nervous people in Monaco right now.

However you have brought up an interesting point - if a rider gets busted by way of the bio-passport when is the offence deemed to have happened?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
Gesink?
Hope not.

i just can't imagine and i'm a bit of a sceptic.

my fear is that it's another rabo and because of that and the dekker case gesink can't make his tourdebut until next year.

hopefully i'm optimistic ;p

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:
i just can't imagine and i'm a bit of a sceptic.

my fear is that it's another rabo and because of that and the dekker case gesink can't make his tourdebut until next year.

hopefully i'm optimistic ;p

Yea, that could be a death blow.....if it is Rabo, then I am putting odds on Menchov. The UCI needs a big fish to show it is doing something because the little fish that got caught in round 1 of the passport thing just made everyone laugh.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, that could be a death blow.....if it is Rabo, then I am putting odds on Menchov. The UCI needs a big fish to show it is doing something because the little fish that got caught in round 1 of the passport thing just made everyone laugh.

If it is Menchov, how much more will it take for Rabobank to pull their sponsorship and bail on this sport, I wonder ????

Lots of bad press since Rasmussen...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
If it is Menchov, how much more will it take for Rabobank to pull their sponsorship and bail on this sport, I wonder ????

Lots of bad press since Rasmussen...

as i said: that would be it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
for the dutch speaking ones:

http://tour2009.nos.nl/video/bekijken/id/tcm:5-536499/mart-smeets-over-thomas-dekker

mart smeets gives away a lot by the way he speaks...

Thanks for posting, I missed that earlier. Well. Well, well, well. :rolleyes:

For non Dutch speakers, Mart Smeets (who has covered the Tour since time immemorial for Dutch tv) said that Breukink was in a difficult position, that there were other names, at least one of which would likely break tomorrow and that he felt it was time for Rabo to 'come clean'. He hinted that he knew much more....he also reported that Boonen had arrived in Monaco!

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
Thanks for posting, I missed that earlier. Well. Well, well, well. :rolleyes:

For non Dutch speakers, Mart Smeets (who has covered the Tour since time immemorial for Dutch tv) said that Breukink was in a difficult position, that there were other names, at least one of which would likely break tomorrow and that he felt it was time for Rabo to 'come clean'. He hinted that he knew much more....he also reported that Boonen had arrived in Monaco!

Dang, its gonna be a shoot out......

Man, I am all for riders who dope getting busted, but the timing is just funny. Long shot here, but is this the UCI getting back at ASO? Hold it till all that gets talked about in your race in the first week are the positives just before the first stage....especially if it is Menchov....

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Dang, its gonna be a shoot out......

Man, I am all for riders who dope getting busted, but the timing is just funny. Long shot here, but is this the UCI getting back at ASO? Hold it till all that gets talked about in your race in the first week are the positives just before the first stage....especially if it is Menchov....

That's certainly the $64k question. Of all the days in a year to announce sh!t like this, why create the impression that you've deliberately been withholding information for reasons that can only be considered spiteful, vindictive or disruptive of yet another Tour (trying desperately to avoid using 'hidden agenda') by announcing one or more cases in the last days before the start, thereby ensuring that the Tour yet again kicks off with negative publicity?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
.........errrr but he lives in Monaco. Is he not allowed to go home ?

He didn't say it in a 'oh, and Tom Boonen has been seen returning to his house' kind of way. It was really a 'Tom Boonen wants to be sure he's near by just in case' kind of way. Explaining something like this is where the printed word cannot do justice to the inflection and emphasis given in speech.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Amsterhammer said:
He didn't say it in a 'oh, and Tom Boonen has been seen returning to his house' kind of way. It was really a 'Tom Boonen wants to be sure he's near by just in case' kind of way. Explaining something like this is where the printed word cannot do justice to the inflection and emphasis given in speech.
Just in case, indeed. Apparentely, the riders participating in the Tour have to be present in Monaco at least a few days before the start, to undergo medical tests among other things. If Boonen's case only gets heard on thursday, and the judge decides he can race after all, at least the ASO can't ban him again for arriving in Monaco too late.

But back to the Rabo dopers :D

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Wow - potential systematic doping at yet another team...is this really news anymore?

I hope that it isn't Menchov...but it would be funny if they did finally validate their initial suspicions on Rasmussen.

I hope there will be some juicy news stories waiting for me in the morning.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
.........errrr but he lives in Monaco. Is he not allowed to go home ?

Not 100% sure, but although he used to live in Monaco, he was dragged home to Flanders by Mummy, Daddy and Quick step when he found the lifestyle too, em, tempting. Think it was just after his first coke bust.

Thinking of him all alone in his hotel room, desperately hoping to be included, desperately trying not to cheer himself up artificially, and tears welling up in his eyes as he watches the prologue on TV if he's left out. I mean, I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be allowed to race, just that him travelling to Monaco in the hope of racing is, well, almost poignant.

TRENDING THREADS