• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Anti-Aging" Investigation in New Jersey Star Ledger

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Looks like the "anti-aging" dope-docs are thriving* in New Jersey:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/booming_anti-aging_business_re.html

and:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/hundreds_of_nj_police_firefigh.html

There's also an interview with one of the reporters on NPR:
http://www.npr.org/2010/12/14/132060854/Paper-N-J-Doctor-Supplied-Steroids-To-Law-Enforcement

*Except for the one that died of heart failure at 45...

Man, those Horatio Alger rags-to-riches stories really make me tear up.

Anti-aging clinics in New Jersey. I've spoken about these quacks for a while now, so this doesn't surprise me in the least..

This is where the yuppie master's racers of Northern New Jersey get their crap, and then self-righteously crow about how the riders who can't keep up with them have to "work harder" and be "more dedicated" with their training regimens.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Anti Aging dose that mean that Irishman from UCI will be around a lot longer now. he is too old now and out of date.

Realy though there is a lot of research into anti oxidents very powerfull ones such as Trans reversitrol that is claimed and proven by the research to have some performance enhansing qualitys. steroids are not anti aging meds they are for people who need them due to illness .

They are abused and for a short while they give the performance a boost but after time the body catches up and you need more and more untill you blow up into some sort of Zombie then keel over and die.

Drugs like that need a very experienced Endocrinologist.

Dont rush out and buy trans reversitrol either it expencive and has some nasty side effects on some people.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I could only get through about half of the first article without wanting to vomit. I truly think that the problem in master's cycling is a microcosm of our societal problem (speaking for only the USA, as I am American) of our total infatuation with maintaining our youth. I find it repulsive. Women in their mid life cutting themselves up and injecting their faces and other parts with garbage and poison so they won't wrinkle. Have you ever really looked at someone who's face doesn't move? It is scary. Or when Grandma Clampett has breasts of a twenty year old holding up her seven chins under a face that looks like it is a canvas stretched for painting? Now men have succumbed to this tragic comedy. Do we really want all septuagenarians walking around looking like Bruce Jenner or the Housewives of Beverly Hills? The Asian cultures have had it right forever, respect age and wisdom. Find glory in growing older, there is a true beauty in that. I, for one, am going to get wrinkly, saggy, ugly, bald and SLOWER ON THE BIKE and wear it all with pride. It will hurt the ego I am sure, but if you really look at what it means, I think you will find the beauty in it.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
It was my experience in NJ masters racing that motivated my second retirement from the sport. I remember one of the clubs (sorry, "Teams") actually had a "master at arms" to uphold their bylaws (enforcement of wearing the team kit all week long, etc).

Reminded me of the He-Man Woman Haters Club. I decided that I preferred Darla.

our_gang.jpg

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
slowoldman said:
I could only get through about half of the first article without wanting to vomit. I truly think that the problem in master's cycling is a microcosm of our societal problem (speaking for only the USA, as I am American) of our total infatuation with maintaining our youth. I find it repulsive. Women in their mid life cutting themselves up and injecting their faces and other parts with garbage and poison so they won't wrinkle. Have you ever really looked at someone who's face doesn't move? It is scary. Or when Grandma Clampett has breasts of a twenty year old holding up her seven chins under a face that looks like it is a canvas stretched for painting? Now men have succumbed to this tragic comedy. Do we really want all septuagenarians walking around looking like Bruce Jenner or the Housewives of Beverly Hills? The Asian cultures have had it right forever, respect age and wisdom. Find glory in growing older, there is a true beauty in that. I, for one, am going to get wrinkly, saggy, ugly, bald and SLOWER ON THE BIKE and wear it all with pride. It will hurt the ego I am sure, but if you really look at what it means, I think you will find the beauty in it.
so if you were an older man with new severe depression and sexual dysfunction exhaustion and were told that therapy with testosterone and growth hormone would greatly improve your quality of life. you would be like no thanks? do you do that with all other illness and disease that modern medicine has an answer for i think not your logic is full of holes.:rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
slowoldman said:

Good post. To the Highlighted you may want to check out the kankoku-jin's. It is part of their culture these days. They have had too much exposure to western cultures,,, I guess.
Since the economic downturn 2009 to present it seems like they have cut back a little. They still have a large population of peeps getting "work" done!

forty four said:
So if you were an older man with new severe depression and sexual dysfunction exhaustion and were told that therapy with testosterone and growth hormone would greatly improve your quality of life. you would be like no thanks? Do you do that with all other illness and disease that modern medicine has an answer for I think not your logic is full of holes.

I'm all for quality of life. If any of you have ever visited a nursing home or had the unfortunate circumstance of having a loved one in one of those open-air mausoleums, you too would agree that maybe these drugs have some type of medicinal purpose for those who are aging poorly.

But we're not talking about that. We're talking about vain, me-first, type-A personalities trying to relive their youth by bragging about athletic feats they couldn't perform even in their youth, and all because they're drugged up.

That's where the disconnect lies.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
so if you were an older man with new severe depression and sexual dysfunction exhaustion and were told that therapy with testosterone and growth hormone would greatly improve your quality of life. you would be like no thanks? do you do that with all other illness and disease that modern medicine has an answer for i think not your logic is full of holes.:rolleyes:

If I were the person you describe in your post, I doubt very seriously I would be racing my bike. :rolleyes: I addressed a maniacal ego problem within our American culture that was exemplified by the fact the "good doctor" (gynecologist, why are they always gynecologists by the way?) was bragging that his treatment allowed him to leg press 700 and some odd pounds. Sounds to me like he is chasing the elusive fountain of youth, no? My logic is sound. As Berzin posted, health is something to strive for anytime in your life. The pathetic cheaters who try to overcompensate for a natural decline in performance through aging and/or endanger their health by ingesting ridiculous amounts of chemicals or hormone therapy just so they can feel superior to someone half their age is something else entirely. I think they tend to be the examples that reinforce my opinion.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
My Advantage

See, this is where I have an advantage. My whole life I was not much of an athlete. I was a decent wrestler when young, and in high school my track career was cut short by a stupid knee injury from playing softball(though it was looking promising up until the injury). After high school the military taught me to drink and smoke, which I did up through college and until about 4 years ago, when I got back to the bike and quit smoking and improved my lifestyle(I rode some in college, for fun, not competition).

So, I am not trying to "recapture my youth" to get back to when I was fast, or even watching myself get slower and lamenting times gone by. I was never fast, mainly for lack of trying, or caring. I just passed 40, and I am only getting fitter and faster, since I was a smoking couch potato just a few years ago.

I spent most of last year trying to hang on to the back of the peloton in cat 5 and then Cat 4 races, and mostly failed. But I did have a few OK days, where I felt good about my results.

Does it make me feel good when I can drop a guy half my age? Damn straight.

More often than not though, I was the one getting dropped. But I hope to do better this year, and am working harder and smarter.

Also, I race in my Category. Everyone tells me the masters are too damn fast.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
There is a lot of money to be made in this by Doctors who realy dont know what they are doing. ounce you start it its for life.
If you need the treatment it free on National health system but to get someone who dose not need it stuck on it for life time @ $2,000 a year is criminal.

Anyone who is hypo can get it free young or old.

Masters are fast because we have more time to recover and more time to ride we go training then home and back to bed for a couple of hours young riders go to work.
its certainly not the testosterone why take drugs if you are enjoying masters cat 5 so that you can go up to masters cat 1.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
I'm all for quality of life. If any of you have ever visited a nursing home or had the unfortunate circumstance of having a loved one in one of those open-air mausoleums, you too would agree that maybe these drugs have some type of medicinal purpose for those who are aging poorly.But we're not talking about that. We're talking about vain, me-first, type-A personalities trying to relive their youth by bragging about athletic feats they couldn't perform even in their youth, and all because they're drugged up.

That's where the disconnect lies.

Very well put. A friend and former racer did her Master's thesis on geriatric (70 yrs old+) response to weight bearing excercise using placebos and HGH/steriod regimes. Many of her subjects were wheelchair bound or incapable of walking more than a block.
The path to increased strength was fastest for those that took the sterioids or HGH for the first 8 weeks. The group not using began to catch up in performance gains after that 8 week period and, in the end; where qualitatively similar to those taking the drugs. All showed marked improvement. The conclusion was obvious: keep yourself moving if you don't want to slow down.

Those guys taking short cuts in their 40's will discover what many, more technically gifted posters have said: the natural hormone production begins to slow and the cycle of need increases demand for more PEDs.

While it's maddening to compete against guys like the uber-vain dudes; it's still better to compete and test yourself rather than abandon the activity. Just be sure you know the difference and don't take yourself too seriously and you should be able to maintain the balance of reality and fun.

Oldman said:

Those guys taking short cuts in their 40's will discover what many, more technically gifted posters have said: the natural hormone production begins to slow and the cycle of need increases demand for more PEDs.

Remember that survey they did with the teenagers and twenty somethings about a trade-off between success with 'roids and higher risk of early death?

For the mid-life crisis group, isn't it the same... only moreso?

Who cares if they need more PEDs... they can just buy more. Besides, they are ahead a few PowerBar primes. That has to count for something.

Dave.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Remember that survey they did with the teenagers and twenty somethings about a trade-off between success with 'roids and higher risk of early death?

For the mid-life crisis group, isn't it the same... only moreso?

Who cares if they need more PEDs... they can just buy more. Besides, they are ahead a few PowerBar primes. That has to count for something.

Dave.

I personally don't care if someone wants to make a choice for themselves as long as they don't publicly pretend they are pristine individuals. Just don't send the bill my way when vital parts start failing.

forty four said:

Good point. And it's not just men who suffer sexual dysfunction, either. Women over 50 have been suffering from menopause for too long. Modern medicine can conquer this loss of sexual function and improve their quality of life. Why should young, healthy 20, 30, 40 somethings have the market cornered on giving birth? There are plenty of 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 somethings out there who have had their life ruined by losing sexual function and are severely depressed.

TRENDING THREADS