• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AntiDoping Seminar - April 3 on Loma Linda University Campus (Redlands)

Mar 21, 2013
www.bikecoach.com
Sean Wilson, Ph.D., will present "Pedaling on the Dark Side of Sports" Wednesday, April 3.

The revelation of the systematic and long-term use of performance enhancing drugs by Lance Armstrong, many of his teammates and others in the professional ranks has sent shock waves through the cycling world.
The reality is that this behavior is endemic to many sports, not just cycling, and it has permeated many levels of athletes, from recreational and young athletes to those at the pinnacle of their sport.

Dr. Wilson's seminar will teach the effects of performance enhancing drugs on the body, how each drug affects athletic performance versus its therapeutic use to treat disease, and how to provide a safe route forward for all athletes, children and professionals.

Dr. Wilson is an assistant professor of physiology and pharmacology in the Center for Perinatal Biology at the Loma Linda University School of Medicine. Once a professional cyclist, Dr. Wilson now works as a top level coach for competing cyclists and as a parent of two young and aspiring riders.

The seminar will be held from noon to 1 p.m. at the Drayson Center, with refreshments and a Q&A session 30 minutes before and after the event.

Registration is free, but space is limited. Contact Cindy MacCubbin at ext. 43206 or email cgeil@llu.edu to register.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
xestospongin said:
Dr. Wilson's seminar will teach the effects of performance enhancing drugs on the body, how each drug affects athletic performance versus its therapeutic use to treat disease, and how to provide a safe route forward for all athletes, children and professionals.

is it just me or does this sound like he's going to be talking about how to dope safely?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
is it just me or does this sound like he's going to be talking about how to dope safely?

To me it sounds more like a way for Armstrong to get some sympathy (the fact that he's even mentioned in there). "Oh, look at these cyclist like Armstrong, they doped and now they will have <insert death threatening health problem>, how can we help them?", another waste of healthcare research money on self inflicted health problems, might as well research how to reverse the affects of Crack Cocaine while they're at it.

They doped, they took the risks in favor of fame and fortune now society needs to fix any issues they have? How about stopping said research cold instead and use the money to hire a secret doping police to bust all PED dopers so there is no self inflicted health problems to research? Oh wait, that would actually break the circle of the problem, never mind.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
xestospongin said:
Not at all, the goal is to teach about the dangers associated with doping and how to prevent the behavior.

Sean

[quote: Sean] how to provide a safe route forward for all athletes, children and professionals[/quote]

How about not dope? Or is that not in the cards?

Mar 21, 2013
www.bikecoach.com
No sympathy from me & agree that zero tolerance is the path. But as someone who performs basic research to discover new pathways for curing disease I can also say that if anyone is morally bankrupt they can circumvent the present system and won't get caught. But hey, If I say too much no one will have to see the talk :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
xestospongin said:
No sympathy from me & agree that zero tolerance is the path. But as someone who performs basic research to discover new pathways for curing disease I can also say that if anyone is morally bankrupt they can circumvent the present system and won't get caught. But hey, If I say too much no one will have to see the talk :)

Why not send the PED dopers to the same rehab as the illegal drug dopers? Pooling resources instead of starting yet another single solution which will be under funded?

Also, have it online (streamed) and your audience will be much bigger (worldwide). Is either a YouTube/Twitch/Google streaming account and a camera with mic.

Mar 21, 2013
www.bikecoach.com
Certainly one option is treat the "users" like any other addict and send them through rehab. The issue then becomes of how to prevent a relapse.

As for video streaming we am looking into that. At a minimum I will be recording my final "run through" for timing & will post that (audio + slides) if we are unable to get the University to film the live event. I will post the website here where that shows up. However, I encourage people to come to the live event as we have allocated 30 minutes before and after for "meet and greet" as well as Q/A & Discussion.

Sean

Mar 21, 2013
www.bikecoach.com
I'm confused, are you implying that I am selling something? I am presenting a free public seminar that is sponsored by the campus wellness center. The talk is designed to promote education on the topic for the general public. This fits in with the overall mission of our school (Loma Linda University) to promote health and wellness.

xestospongin said:
I'm confused, are you implying that I am selling something? I am presenting a free public seminar that is sponsored by the campus wellness center. The talk is designed to promote education on the topic for the general public. This fits in with the overall mission of our school (Loma Linda University) to promote health and wellness.

The problem is the UCI and USAC both enable the doping. (ex. Tammy Thomas, Armstrong, Team USA under Wiesel ) And today we learn Hein is the doping enforcer for the IOC's events.

So, "how not to dope" is kind of lost on this crowd.

DirtyWorks said:
The problem is the UCI and USAC both enable the doping. (ex. Tammy Thomas, Armstrong, Team USA under Wiesel ) And today we learn Hein is the doping enforcer for the IOC's events.

So, "how not to dope" is kind of lost on this crowd.

Some times I seriously don't get the feel-bad, cynical part of the crowd in here.

"How not to dope" should not be lost on "this crowd" one bit. If there's one crowd that would and should embrace anything detailing "how not to dope" it would be the clinic.

A phd is offering up a free seminar on the doping issue. He's clearly kept an outside eye on the clinic as he's setup a handle likely for the sole purpose of letting the clinic know about the seminar.

Instead of berating and off-handedly throwing to the side a new user with a serious agenda you could have chosen to show the basic decency of politely saying that you're not interested if that is the case. Or if you have actual, non-prejudiced concerns about the event - then raise those instead of slapping the guy about like he's seasoned clinician with 10K posts to his merit...

For what it's worth: Sean, had I been anywhere near the US at the time I'd have looked in to coming by. I'm not sure but since you've already unveiled yourself as the speaker it might have aided your cause if you'd registered with your actual name - new posters with anonymous handles are always looked at with a lot of suspicion around these parts.

Mar 21, 2013
www.bikecoach.com
JPM London, Thanks for the vote of support. I am certainly not trying to hide my identity with my handle. It is one that I commonly use when I have to generate a new login. Yes I am a PhD (in physiology) & my research is specifically focused on using drugs to cure disease and finding novel ways of doing so. My research is fully available on medline & I am easy to find. I teach physiology and pharmacology to graduate and medical students at Loma Linda University and have taught pharmacy students in the past at OleMiss. Hence, I have a unique and much different view on the doping problem than most & this unique perspective is what comes through when I speak. And, yes I try to stay off-list [all lists] because I am involved in Anti doping education and don't want to muddle my message. Along those lines, I presented a Webinar for USACycling coaching education last week specifically on the science and ethics of doping aimed specifically at coaches while USA Antidoping presented a companion webinar yesterday that was more specific to doping control and the various resources available through them and elsewhere. I think that the audio and slides, at least for my portion, will be available to any USACycling member.

I am more than happy to present to any team or group in a discussion oriented format because my goal is to help make the sport safer for my two children as well as all athletes. I have done this for the faculty and graduate students at my University, our medical students, the UC Davis collegiate team and the VeloSport Junior team, with whom my own children ride for. I am a pragmatist and a realist & know that fixing this problem is not going to be easy. I believe that the message needs to be delivered to the public as well as people inside the sport. The problem is not cycling specific. It encompasses all sports, it effects youth, novices as well as elite athletes, and it is fueled by the media.

Again, the post was specifically to encourage people to come to the seminar. I will certainly post if we do have any sort of live-stream [unlikely] or online resource available [very likely].

Sean

JPM London said:
Instead of berating and off-handedly throwing to the side a new user with a serious agenda you could have chosen to show the basic decency of politely saying that you're not interested if that is the case. Or if you have actual, non-prejudiced concerns about the event - then raise those instead of slapping the guy about like he's seasoned clinician with 10K posts to his merit...

My intent actually wasn't to treat the poster badly. I apologize if it came across like that. My goal was to identify the disconnect between the reality and the seminar as the source of the harshness.

As always, I'm interested in more information and communication. Again, I apologize if my post was treated any other way.

Mar 21, 2013
www.bikecoach.com
DirtyWorks said:
My intent actually wasn't to treat the poster badly. I apologize if it came across like that. My goal was to identify the disconnect between the reality and the seminar as the source of the harshness.

As always, I'm interested in more information and communication. Again, I apologize if my post was treated any other way.

I fully understand the cynicism.

I am, however, also an optimist and like to think that recent events give us an opportunity to move beyond the conduct that has been a part of the sport since its inception.

xestospongin said:
Sean Wilson, Ph.D., will present "Pedaling on the Dark Side of Sports" Wednesday, April 3.

The revelation of the systematic and long-term use of performance enhancing drugs by Lance Armstrong, many of his teammates and others in the professional ranks has sent shock waves through the cycling world.
The reality is that this behavior is endemic to many sports, not just cycling, and it has permeated many levels of athletes, from recreational and young athletes to those at the pinnacle of their sport.

Dr. Wilson is an assistant professor of physiology and pharmacology in the Center for Perinatal Biology at the Loma Linda University School of Medicine. Once a professional cyclist, Dr. Wilson now works as a top level coach for competing cyclists and as a parent of two young and aspiring riders.

The seminar will be held from noon to 1 p.m. at the Drayson Center, with refreshments and a Q&A session 30 minutes before and after the event.

Registration is free, but space is limited. Contact Cindy MacCubbin at ext. 43206 or email cgeil@llu.edu to register.

Attendance is recommended for?

... all aspiring professional cyclists along with soigneurs, team physicians, DS's and team managers, UCI chaperones, race officials, aspiring Master's cyclists, Olympic hopefuls in other sports, and buff exercise nerds.

Maybe they can send the sign-in attendance sheet to USADA.

Dave.

Mar 21, 2013
www.bikecoach.com
D-Queued said:
Attendance is recommended for?

... all aspiring professional cyclists along with soigneurs, team physicians, DS's and team managers, UCI chaperones, race officials, aspiring Master's cyclists, Olympic hopefuls in other sports, and buff exercise nerds.

Maybe they can send the sign-in attendance sheet to USADA.

Dave.

Others to include... coaches, parents, young athletes, and anyone who is an armchair athlete or who enjoys exercise and sport.

DirtyWorks said:

I apologise too :)

My own post was harsh as well and I think they both underline that for all of us that take the subject seriously there's a high level of frustration and impatience with the old and current situation and it's quite easy to jump the gun.

For the record I've enjoyed a lot of your input over time and appreciate many of your posts...

JPM London said:
I apologise too :)

My own post was harsh as well and I think they both underline that for all of us that take the subject seriously there's a high level of frustration and impatience with the old and current situation and it's quite easy to jump the gun.

For the record I've enjoyed a lot of your input over time and appreciate many of your posts...

While we are handing out apologies, I trust that my post was received in the lighthearted manner it was provided in. Apologies to anyone that read it differently.

I will not be anywhere near Loma Linda, unfortunately. But, if we cannot have an open conversation about doping then we cannot do anything about the culture of it.

Dave.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
xestospongin said:
JPM London, Thanks for the vote of support. I am certainly not trying to hide my identity with my handle. It is one that I commonly use when I have to generate a new login. Yes I am a PhD (in physiology) & my research is specifically focused on using drugs to cure disease and finding novel ways of doing so. My research is fully available on medline & I am easy to find. I teach physiology and pharmacology to graduate and medical students at Loma Linda University and have taught pharmacy students in the past at OleMiss. Hence, I have a unique and much different view on the doping problem than most & this unique perspective is what comes through when I speak. And, yes I try to stay off-list [all lists] because I am involved in Anti doping education and don't want to muddle my message. Along those lines, I presented a Webinar for USACycling coaching education last week specifically on the science and ethics of doping aimed specifically at coaches while USA Antidoping presented a companion webinar yesterday that was more specific to doping control and the various resources available through them and elsewhere. I think that the audio and slides, at least for my portion, will be available to any USACycling member.

I am more than happy to present to any team or group in a discussion oriented format because my goal is to help make the sport safer for my two children as well as all athletes. I have done this for the faculty and graduate students at my University, our medical students, the UC Davis collegiate team and the VeloSport Junior team, with whom my own children ride for. I am a pragmatist and a realist & know that fixing this problem is not going to be easy. I believe that the message needs to be delivered to the public as well as people inside the sport. The problem is not cycling specific. It encompasses all sports, it effects youth, novices as well as elite athletes, and it is fueled by the media.

Again, the post was specifically to encourage people to come to the seminar. I will certainly post if we do have any sort of live-stream [unlikely] or online resource available [very likely].

Sean

I totally support "education" on the broader topic of doping to the masses, and to provide a perspective on the health risks. But to sell the message that education is the (or even "one of the primary") solution to reducing/stopping doping by pro-athletes (as UCI is suggesting) is a total joke and reeks of further feeding the pockets of the administrators running these educational programs. As well as diverting critical attention away from diligent sports administration, eg doping control and penalties.

I ask you please, as an "authority" on anti-doping education, make this essential distinction to your audiences. Hope the seminar goes well.

TRENDING THREADS