• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Antonio Tiberi

sprintcyclingagency_0813733_1_2000px-1024x682.jpg

According to @SafeBet, his goal for the Giro was a top-5, and he's delivered. He could even have challenged for the podium if not for his mechanical on Oropa.

Solid ITTs, great in the third week and a good attitude. An Italian diesel in the mould of Caruso, Nibali and Basso.

"The Sniper", dixit G. Thomas. But it's high time to put his unfortunate past behaviour aside, and focus on his cycling pedigree. He impressed me more than Caruso ever did, but he lacks the panache (for now) that Nibali already showed in the Giro of 2010.
It's difficult to have the great panache of nibali. But Antonio is very young and it was his first time trying in a GC. In 2010 Nibali was a few years older and already had a 6th in tour de France. So he would be more confident, he had already confirmed that he could race over 3 weeks with the best.

Hopefully Antonio can do something similar after this fact-finding giro, now he know he is a contender, a big man

Reactions: xo 1 and Sandisfan
It's difficult to have the great panache of nibali. But Antonio is very young and it was his first time trying in a GC. In 2010 Nibali was a few years older and already had a 6th in tour de France. So he would be more confident, he had already confirmed that he could race over 3 weeks with the best.

Hopefully Antonio can do something similar after this fact-finding giro, now he know he is a contender, a big man
You had me confused about Antonio Nibali for a minute

I was pretty surprised by how confident he was coming into the Giro, given it was the first time riding a GT as a captain. He was 100% certain he would be at his best in the third week and he was. He managed his bad day just fine. Paced himself extremely well in both TTs. Took responsibility when he had to.

His absolute lack of acceleration reminds me of Basso's early days when he would struggle to even win one race. He will need to work on this.

I was pretty surprised by how confident he was coming into the Giro, given it was the first time riding a GT as a captain. He was 100% certain he would be at his best in the third week and he was. He managed his bad day just fine. Paced himself extremely well in both TTs. Took responsibility when he had to.

His absolute lack of acceleration reminds me of Basso's early days when he would struggle to even win one race. He will need to work on this.
Do you know what he'll aim for in the second half of the season? I'd assume a slow build-up for Worlds and the Italian classics.

i remember a discussion in the beginning of the giro re Arensman/Tiberi for white. I said then I think Tiberi is stronger. Just that bit more natural climber. And he's shown to have great recovery as well, was probably at his best in the 3rd week. Tiberi is I think Italy's best hope for future GT's.

Good TT, good climbing, great recovery, and shown some aggressiveness as well

i remember a discussion in the beginning of the giro re Arensman/Tiberi for white. I said then I think Tiberi is stronger. Just that bit more natural climber. And he's shown to have great recovery as well, was probably at his best in the 3rd week. Tiberi is I think Italy's best hope for future GT's.

Good TT, good climbing, great recovery, and shown some aggressiveness as well
Yeah, he surprised me on Brocon and Grappa (but it's not clear either if he was the second strongest).

Do you know what he'll aim for in the second half of the season? I'd assume a slow build-up for Worlds and the Italian classics.
When I talked to him before the Giro he had no idea what his schedule for the second part of the season would look like.

Beppe Conti was confident he would ride the Vuelta but I wouldn't necessarily bet on it (and even if he did, perhaps not for GC). Italian fall classics are a given.

I‘ve read he was scheduled to do the Vuelta. I don‘t think he can be good at the worlds by riding like a Diesel.
That's true but he performed well in LBL despite working the whole day for his teammates and he told me he doesn't mind short hills unless they're insanely steep.
I would select him and see what happens. He has shown he can be a reliable domestique.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Imo he needs a Mortirolo or Zoncolan stage to actually drop people uphill.