• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Any more televised cycling races?

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been a fan of the TdF and Giro d'Italia for a few years but never really thought about other big road races that might be televised. Is there anything big, like those 2 tours, that will be on TV the rest of this year and early 2011? I saw the calendar of races but that doesn't tell me if they'll be like the TdF or Giro. Basically, I want to continue following the big names; Schleck, Contador, Evans, Cancellarra, Leipheimer, Menchov, etc. Are there any schedules of such races featuring well known riders?

Thanks!

Trob

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
trobinson017 said:
I've been a fan of the TdF and Giro d'Italia for a few years but never really thought about other big road races that might be televised. Is there anything big, like those 2 tours, that will be on TV the rest of this year and early 2011? I saw the calendar of races but that doesn't tell me if they'll be like the TdF or Giro. Basically, I want to continue following the big names; Schleck, Contador, Evans, Cancellarra, Leipheimer, Menchov, etc. Are there any schedules of such races featuring well known riders?

Thanks!

Trob

Well if you want to actually watch on TV, Universal Sports will be showing the Vuelta. Versus broadcasts the TOC, the Dauphine, and the Tour de Suisse. They also have hour long highlight packages of the early season classics. But if your willing to just watch streams on your computer, you can watch pretty much any race you want in full.

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
depends where you live? in the uk eurosport shows all sort of cycling from british events to the tour de france & the protour events. while write my disso for uni i watched the tour of turkey or something

Definitely suggest you watch the Vuelta on Universal Sports. You might be able to get it on your regular TV set on one of those channels at the end of the spectrum, or on cable TV. If not, they have one of the best sites for webcasting on the entire internet.

The Vuelta is a great race, probably the 2nd best stage race in the world, behind the Giro, in the eyes of most hardcore cycling fans, and this year's edition should be excellent with several uphill finishes and some heavy hitters going for the overall win.

ericthesportsman6 said:
Well if you want to actually watch on TV, Universal Sports will be showing the Vuelta. Versus broadcasts the TOC, the Dauphine, and the Tour de Suisse. They also have hour long highlight packages of the early season classics. But if your willing to just watch streams on your computer, you can watch pretty much any race you want in full.

Where can I watch these streams?

Thank you

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
In my country they show every big stage race/ one day race. So it would help if we knew what country you're from.

You have the Vuelta in a month or so, that's a Grand Tour.

There are 3 Grand Tours in case you didn't know: Giro d'Italia, Tour de France(most prestigious one) and the Vuelta espana.

Other important stage races(mostly 1 week races instead of 3 weeks) are Paris-Nice, Dauphine, Tour de Suisse etc.

I wouldn't expect too much of someone like Andy Schleck though. He's only good for one moment in a year.

streams get posted on racing threads here. Just come on when there is a race, click on the thread and ask for a stream. Within minutes other members will give you a link to one that works.

For those who live in the UK eurosport is a godsend.

It has everything.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
streams get posted on racing threads here. Just come on when there is a race, click on the thread and ask for a stream. Within minutes other members will give you a link to one that works.

For those who live in the UK eurosport is a godsend.

It has everything.

Nothing beats Sporza and RTBF though!

Rtbf has the greatest cyclist to have ever lived as a commentator. Yup, Eddy Merckx. It's in French though. And Sporza is in Dutch.

rzombie1988 said:
Where can I watch these streams?

Here are some links that should help you out:

Steephill. - A busy site at first glance, but allow yourself to get used to it, as there is a ton of info there. Along the right side are major races, and in those links you should find all the video feeds about half-way down their page.

Universal Sports cycling page. - It appears they are charging $9.95 for full streaming and replays this year. But as I said, they have one of the best webcasting sites on the net, so it's probably worth it.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Here are some links that should help you out:

Steephill. - A busy site at first glance, but allow yourself to get used to it, as there is a ton of info there. Along the right side are major races, and in those links you should find all the video feeds about half-way down their page.

Universal Sports cycling page. - It appears they are charging $9.95 for full streaming and replays this year. But as I said, they have one of the best webcasting sites on the net, so it's probably worth it.

Also, if your willing to pay a yearly fee, cycling.tv is pretty good.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
If your internet thread is not quite fast enough for a fluent stream:

1. Open Eurosport audio feed on one internet browser
2. Open a video stream on another browser
3. Open the volume control and mute the second browser

That way, you get fluent audio even if the video is choppy. You may have to play around a bit to get them in sync, though.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
WOW!! Great responses to my simple query!! I'm in the US, Florida to be more exact (sorry for that omission) so I'll review every suggestion and see what I can get here. Versus was the channel I watched the TdF on so it's all I know. If streaming is the only way I can see the upcoming races, well, so be it! I have a good laptop and a 19" LCD monitor so it should be decent viewing. And I work from home so no boss to hide from!! :)

You all are great! Thanks again!!

Trob

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:

Woohoo! I didn't know Universal would carry the Vuelta! So happy! We get this channel free (for now, anyway!) with our antenna. Go figure - without cable we actually do better than with it.

I have to mention that I hope Vino is in the Vuelta. Just because he has not been mentioned yet in this thread and he needs to be mentioned in pretty much all threads to show the Vino-love.:D

El Pistolero said:
Nothing beats Sporza and RTBF though!

Rtbf has the greatest cyclist to have ever lived as a commentator. Yup, Eddy Merckx. It's in French though. And Sporza is in Dutch.

I dont know. England is probably the country most hostile to road cycling in the whole world. And yet British Eurosport show absolutely everything. Their comentators spend more time away from home than the cyclists. They have 4 main commentators, and 4 backup ones just in case, and while i have minor problems with them (namely claiming conti lost the tour when he lost 15 secs to menchov/ samu) they are it appears better than this phil and paul combo we keep hearing about every race thread. Sure, they arent eddy mercx, but who the f**k is, besides kelly has had some achievments too.

Just about the only event they didnt have this year was the tour down under (big deal) but now it appears they bought that for next year as well.

They even have nothing races like the tour of oman, tour of quatar, tour of turkey.

And their tdf coverage, oh madone:eek: , it is eurosports signature event. They have adverts for it all year round. They show live the route unveiling, the team presentations, show half the stages from the roll out, going live at 9 am, the others from the 150k to go mark, have commentators based in paris, in london, at the finish, at the start, along the route.

If cycling is your religion, eurosport is the highest altar ( may be a bit dramatic, but its the closest im ever going to get to being in a church)

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
And their tdf coverage, oh madone , it is eurosports signature event. They have adverts for it all year round. They show live the route unveiling, the team presentations, show half the stages from the roll out, going live at 9 am, the others from the 150k to go mark, have commentators based in paris, in london, at the finish, at the start, along the route.

If cycling is your religion, eurosport is the highest altar ( may be a bit dramatic, but its the closest im ever going to get to being in a church)

do they also have guys on the motor? ;)

If not, Sporza is still better :p

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Eurosport international is free on astra satellite as far as i know. It doesnt have as many races as UK Eurosport, but it has all the important ones (protour + historic).

TRENDING THREADS