• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anybody toured on their own in Europe? Some advice would be great.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Right so my ex girlfriend is Austrian and when not at uni she lives in Vienna. This summer I'm going out for a week long party/conference for physics students in Split, Croatia. Unfortunately, I booked flights to and from Vienna a week before and then 5 days after this event (Running from 10-18 Auguest), with a view to spending time with the ladyfriend. As sods law would have it, we broke up a while ago and thus a week in Vienna is out of the question, and I still want to go to Split.

So, rather then waste £140 and then blow more money on more (really expensive now) flights, I'm thinking I will take my flight to Vienna with my bike, stay at hers for the night seeing as she will probably be more then happy to let me, and then cycle the 700-800ish kilometres down to Split, arriving in time for my party week. Might as well make the most of a bad thing eh. I imagine the cycling is not bad down there either :rolleyes:

Now I've been cycling on and off for years so I should be fit enough, but I've never done anything like this before so it's a bit intimidating to say the least. BUT I reckon it would be pretty badass to do it, and then turning up in Split after such a long trip would make the week even better. I would probably get the train back to Vienna most of the way as I have much less time and will be absolutely destroyed after a week of drinking. Im 20 years old, so the chances of me staying sober enough all week to be in any fit state to ride any real distance imediately after is very low. Too many temptations like European spirits and Scandinavian girls eh. Ah to be young still :p

So yeah, if anybody has any experience with stuff like this I would love some advice regarding hostels, stuff I should take etc. Feel free to tell me I'm mad or an idiot for booking those flights.

Tips?

Back in 2001 I bike toured France by myself. I bought a cheap used bike over there, and strapped my backpack to the rack.
I'd ride a few days, take a day or two off in a city, and then take a train to jump ahead. I did that for about 3 weeks. I loved it.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
What's it like finding hostels on the day and stuff? Thats my main worry really. I imagine they are a bit harder to come by in Croatia then France but I doubt there's too much of a difference.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi
Did a similar trip when I had a meeting in Halle and cycled from Prague to Berlin. Did solo trips in Swiss / Italian and French Alps a few years back.
Issues: pack as little kit as you will need. It can be cold in the mountains even in August expect rain it could snow - leg warmers?, 1 decent jacket, gloves, mini towel, wash clothes each night, I used diluted orange fruit juice plus salt as an energy drink - fruit juice available most places, works fine. Language will be an issue, try to learn some words please, thank you, numbers, room available, take a dictionary / phrase book.

Try to plan your route before you go, get reasonable maps eg in Vienna, do a web search http://www.trentobike.org is a good start for information and be prepared to have to change eg road works. Have a back up plan for trains or buses - have some idea of how they handle bikes. Hostels are a good start for accomodation but you will need guest house B&B type stuff. Accomodation will be an issue since it will be the tourist season. So ideal to book in advance especially weekends - internet & phone work OK, confirm in writing if you can. Maybe give http://www.couchsurfing.com a check. You could camp which sorts the accommodation issue but that would give a laden bike, pretty tough 100 km per day in some mountainous terrain but well OK if you are fit. Have a practice weekend or two.

Generally you will find folk helpful, sometimes incredibly so and friendly. For me these trips can carry loads of risk eg not finding a bed, but loads of fun and new places. Allow time each day to find where you are going, searches for meals, accommodation, basic shopping. Use a cycle lock, basic spares: inner tubes, spokes, maybe folding tyre, fully check bike before you go, carry any significant kit all the time, use a body belt for passport & money, get an EU medical card,

Go on give it a go.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
What's it like finding hostels on the day and stuff? Thats my main worry really. I imagine they are a bit harder to come by in Croatia then France but I doubt there's too much of a difference.

Likely to be difficult in the tourist season. Check internet for hostel locations, costs etc. for both private and those part of the International Youth Hostels Association. If using YHA linked hostels join in the UK.

Ibanez said:
It was easy in France, in May. I stayed in really cheap hotels... like $15 US at the time. Never booked ahead, except for Bordeaux, where I had a brutal long ride into town, and didnt want to wander the city all tired out looking for a place.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
arrhythmia rules said:
Hi
Did a similar trip when I had a meeting in Halle and cycled from Prague to Berlin. Did solo trips in Swiss / Italian and French Alps a few years back.
Issues: pack as little kit as you will need. It can be cold in the mountains even in August expect rain it could snow - leg warmers?, 1 decent jacket, gloves, mini towel, wash clothes each night, I used diluted orange fruit juice plus salt as an energy drink - fruit juice available most places, works fine. Language will be an issue, try to learn some words please, thank you, numbers, room available, take a dictionary / phrase book.

Try to plan your route before you go, get reasonable maps eg in Vienna, do a web search http://www.trentobike.org is a good start for information and be prepared to have to change eg road works. Have a back up plan for trains or buses - have some idea of how they handle bikes. Hostels are a good start for accomodation but you will need guest house B&B type stuff. Accomodation will be an issue since it will be the tourist season. So ideal to book in advance especially weekends - internet & phone work OK, confirm in writing if you can. Maybe give http://www.couchsurfing.com a check. You could camp which sorts the accommodation issue but that would give a laden bike, pretty tough 100 km per day in some mountainous terrain but well OK if you are fit. Have a practice weekend or two.

Generally you will find folk helpful, sometimes incredibly so and friendly. For me these trips can carry loads of risk eg not finding a bed, but loads of fun and new places. Allow time each day to find where you are going, searches for meals, accommodation, basic shopping. Use a cycle lock, basic spares: inner tubes, spokes, maybe folding tyre, fully check bike before you go, carry any significant kit all the time, use a body belt for passport & money, get an EU medical card,

Go on give it a go.

Thanks man good advice, its all very reassuring. I have a basic route planned Vienna-Kapfenburg/Graz-Maribor-Karlovac-Somewhere south of Karlovac-I then have two options, I can head to the coast and ride the coastal route which I would like to do but it will be very busy, or stay inland where it is a lot quieter (I assume) and ride the mountain roads. Which sounds much better but it might be a bit sparse and empty for my liking. Wouldn't like to find theres nowhere to stay or anything.

Anyway if aybody else has some stories they would be cool to hear.

I toured from Vienna to Split (and on to Podgorica, Montenegro) with a friend two years ago. We took the scenic route though - 1400km to Split. I got a map here, click "Visa karta". The travelouge is in Swedish but there are pictures too. We started the tour in July, but due to my friend breaking a wrist in Villach we took a two month break after a week so except for the Austrian part we did the rest of the tour in the later half of September.

The reason for the route we took was that we wanted a couple of days along the Danube and after that we wanted some Alpine climbs (Sölkpass, the ridiculously steep Wurzenpass and the beautiful Vrsic in Slovenia) before doing serious island hopping in Croatia.

Since we spent all our time in Croatia near touristic areas, and at the end of the tourist season, finding accomodation was never a problem. We simply rode into town and stopped at the first private accomodation we could find (I can't recall what the sign said now, there is a standardized sign). Mostly they cost less than €20 as I recall it. (We always travel with a tent as backup though.) In high season you probably should try to book in advance - say by asking the tourist office in the town you are staying to set you up with a room in the town you plan to end the day in.

The shortest route from Vienna to Split is through the interior of Croatia close to the border to Bosnia. I have no idea how much touristy infrastructure has been built up in those areas after the war. Personally I would probably take a train from Vienna to, say, Graz and then head for Rijeka and do the islands (Krk, Rab, Pag, and I guess the coastal road carries less traffic now that they've built a motorway somewhat in-land). Unfortunately for you, unless you take a little detour, you'll miss out on Cres :).

If you do aim for the islands you should be prepared for hard climbs and a hot sun. Bring water - it's not always easy to find when you need it. Outside the villages, houses are often far apart. Take into account time spent on ferries (Jadrolinija operates most ferries). You will be there at the height of the summer season (temperature wise). The riding is, both in difficulty and beauty, right up there with the biggest Alpine climbs.

Plan for riding most days in 30C temperature, but be prepared for the odd 10C drizzle day. Bring a spare tire. Wear a bandana if you want a funny sunburn (keeps sweat out of your eyes when the riding is hard). Along the coast it's easier to jump short distances by ferry rather than train. If you plan on riding 100k+ along the coast, be prepared to get up early. Bring a camera and a paper journal.

Have fun :).

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Good to hear, that looks like a great route. I am leaning towards heading to the coast to be on the safe side, so yeah skipping ahead via train is probably going to be needed to get it all done in 7 days riding, otherwise they will be long, long days. Ta everyone.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Can you bring a tent? I've done some touring around western Europe and only stayed in hostels etc as a last resort. If not, you need to plan a bit more and ride a bit more, but I've ridden in a lot of places and well, its great fantastic and always doable. The worst place I ever rode? Good ol USA. And if you want to get more specific, Michigan sucks. For the state that is famous for cars, the roads suck the people suck (drivers) I rode my a$$ off out of my way to get into Ohio just to get out of that awful place.

Generally speaking Europe is a lot more bike friendly than the US. And always ask, Europeans in general (again speaking very broadly) are less suspicious and paranoid than Americans. Whenever I found myself in a bind for bedding someone invariably opened their home to me and taught me a hell of about about hospitality.

Have fun. Want a companion? Is your ex hot? ;-)

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I think I have a one man tent somewhere, but its gonna be heavy and Croatia is not the flattest of places. I will see what the weight is like if I find it. Will certainly be cheaper and as an impoverished (ha!) student thats a big issue.

Need to get some panniers and probably a bike service for peace of mind, this is not going to be cheap, but what is.

About companions, the first thing my mum said when I tentatively pitched it to her was that my dad should come along to babysit. Fat chance of that happening, he was the one that gave me the idea ;) As for the ex, I'm biased but I think shes rather pretty, shame about the fact shes nuts eh. But thats a story for another day and certainly not a cycling forum.

Ive started training, thats the fun part of the planning. 75km yesterday and 100km today, hurts though as I've not ridden since Easter and before then I didn't ride for a year. At least it will get me a bit of my former fitness back. I was climbing at half the speed I used to today. Amazing how much you take your fitness for granted when you have it!

Put your bike on the train and get out to Kitzbuhl and Innsbruck. I lived there for the summer of my 15th year and rode my Puch Bergmeister up and down that valley many times. There are some nice short side roads, but mainly that area is super friendly to cyclists. When you are in the town of Brixen Im Thale, stop at the Sport Fuchs and say hello for me. The doctor in town, Dr. Fuchs, was 15 also and rode with me a lot that summer, and also showed us where to crawl under the fence to get into the pubic swimming pool without paying.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I bet Innsbruck is indeed very lovely but that would defeat the point of riding to Split :p

Cheers for that website it's miles more comprehensive then what I found already.

TRENDING THREADS