• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone ditching Directv?

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone canceling with directv now that they no longer carry Versus? I don't think I can give up my 3 weeks of cycling daily every July. I think I'll give up the NFL Ticket rather than miss the Tour and Flanders, Roubaix, etc..

I have already called to voice my displeasure.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Is there any chance they will renew by next summer?

I am otherwise largely disappointed with the overall content of DirectTV

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Is there any chance they will renew by next summer?

I am otherwise largely disappointed with the overall content of DirectTV

I gotta agree here. I don't get cable where I live...does the dish network carry universal sports?

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I was at my ex-wife's last night. She has DirectTV and for the life of me, I couldn't find Universal Sports. I figured I'd watch the Vuelta highlights after my daughter went to sleep.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
That was my favorite channel and I think I will be switching so that I can get it back. Directv has some stupid thing on that channel blaming Vs for them not carrying the channel.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Nope. I'm a cycling fan, but I got Directv for NFL Sunday Ticket. I can get cable where I am, but they don't carry the NFL package.

About the dispute:
"DirecTV said that Comcast allows other distributors to carry Versus at much lower level of distribution, including Dish Network, which positions it on its AT250 package.

"Comcast has set a market with arms length negotiations with these other distributors and DirecTV expects equal treatment," the satellite provider said.

See fulll article here

Sounds like Comcast, which owns Versus, wanted a 20% increase in their payment from Directv.

Dude17 said:
Nope. I'm a cycling fan, but I got Directv for NFL Sunday Ticket. I can get cable where I am, but they don't carry the NFL package.

About the dispute:

See fulll article here

Sounds like Comcast, which owns Versus, wanted a 20% increase in their payment from Directv.

I like Comcast's since of humor and Directv's hypocrisy. Directv, in a recession, increases the price of Sunday ticket by 20% this year and expects the good little sheep to get in line. Comcast does the same to Directv and they cry foul. TV GOLD.

A

Anonymous

Screw Comcast. Unless the internet self destructs we can all still watch the races.

Is there a way for DirectTV to get Universal Sports instead? Or does Comcast own a share in that too?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
When you live in the boondocks, satellite is the only option. Browsing the channels, I think Direct TV actually opened up some that previously weren't available in my package. Universal is much better than Vs. for cycling anyway.

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Universal is much better than Vs. for cycling anyway.

The number of races they have and the amount of coverage is amazing. Before the Vuelta started they were re-showing the Giro, and during the races they are showing coverage of each stage 3 times a day. I'm even getting used to the announcers.:)

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
I just clicked on Versus to show my wife the message from Directv about why they dropped the channel and I noticed I have Universal Sports now on channel 604! I dropped them an e-mail to suggest picking up Universal but didn't expect action this quickly...LOL. And now back to the Vuelta...

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Oh boy! A previous poster( not sure who) inspired me to search my cable listing. Verizon is my cable/inet provider and lo and behold channel 464 has Universal Sports. I am one happy camper.
My riding buddy had just mentioned they dropped VS from her Dish Network. I'm watching what looks to be today's stage replay.The little bit I have seen thus far looks real good. Their screen is not as cluttered as VS was.
While looking for Universal, I couldn't believe all the nonsensical channels I have. This cable/dish and satellite tv really needs to be available ala carte.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Getting a look at it now. It looks like the quality is a bit less than HD on Versus. But it's cool just the same to get some quality GT cycling on the tube.

knewcleardaze said:
While looking for Universal, I couldn't believe all the nonsensical channels I have. This cable/dish and satellite tv really needs to be available ala carte.

+1 Freakin Million. I hate having to pay for a top tier package to get Speed. Meanwhile I am paying for ESPN and Disney, both of which I never watch.

Versus these days is garbage anyway. Their cycling coverage is all but unwatchable.

US reminds me of the OLN of old. The replays of races will kick a$$ for winter time on the trainer.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
When you click on the channel number for Universal Sports on Directv the description reads, "Complimentary special cycling programming from Universal
Sports available through 9/30". :confused: I hope that changes as my wife is excited about figure skating coverage as well as cycling.

A

Anonymous

Wnat? No Bull...

Does this mean no more "Professional" Bull Riding? I got seriously depressed when the cancelled the "Samurai Bass Fishing" series, but this.... guess life goes on, even without bull riding.

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
It's Comcastic?

Hey, I've had the worst of luck getting a feed of Versus here.

To add fuel to this fire, who do I see in the middle of the imbroglio? Why, Comcast, of course!

It's a long and amusing story, but I am growing convinced that Comcast couldn't tear themselves out of a paper sack. I have a Comcast feed line in my front yard, popping above ground in a plastic "wart" in the middle of the lawn.

I have called them out no less than four times to make a connection for service between the existing feed line (there's an RG59 cable, terminated, in that wart, running from my home to the wart). The main cable is a big one, looks like RG8 or RG60/U line.

Every time they come out, the technician looks at that fat main line, and shrugs his shoulders, "I don't have the equipment to tap into that" is the common answer.

For four homes on either side of me, everyone has a satellite dish. I wonder why. Comcast invested a princely sum to bury that cable. It must have been done as a tax write-off, because they sure aren't anxious to tap into it for a new customer.

Now then, I guess I'll have to wait before looking into a satellite provider for both networks...

Bob ;)

TRENDING THREADS