• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone else here hunt?

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Love That Wild Meat.

Mach Schnell said:
Anybody here fill their freezer with wild meat?
Its that time of year again, at least where I live.

I hunt--deer, turkeys, rabbits. Deer season here (Pennsylvania) starts in November. Where do you live where the season starts in August?

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons I bike is to be in great shape for hunting. Bow hunt only and will miss the early season because of shoulder surgery:(

A

Anonymous

As a matter of fact, I do!

Mach Schnell said:
Anybody here fill their freezer with wild meat?
Its that time of year again, at least where I live.

I used to shoot animals, birds mostly. Then I stopped shooting them and started hunting Mushrooms! Morels in Spring, lots of others during Summer and Many Many types in the Fall. One Spring day when I was sitting on a log resting a roughed grouse walked up to me , took a look and jumped onto the log next to me. We sat for a while. When I left it started to follow, but I told it to stay, and it did... I used to hunt mushrooms in City parks on a bike, three speed hub, big wire basket in front. Could cover a lot of territory and collect a lot too. Stopped eating animals about 30 years ago....

brewerjeff said:
I used to shoot animals, birds mostly. Then I stopped shooting them and started hunting Mushrooms! Morels in Spring, lots of others during Summer and Many Many types in the Fall. One Spring day when I was sitting on a log resting a roughed grouse walked up to me , took a look and jumped onto the log next to me. We sat for a while. When I left it started to follow, but I told it to stay, and it did... I used to hunt mushrooms in City parks on a bike, three speed hub, big wire basket in front. Could cover a lot of territory and collect a lot too. Stopped eating animals about 30 years ago....

that is a great story.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
brewerjeff said:

The only mushrooms I have hunted grow in cow patties after rain in the north west. When you break off the stems they turn blue. when you eat them there are many more colors:eek:

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Pheasant, grouse, partridge, and quail. Some walleye and trout fishing. Used to hunt more, but I don't enjoy killing animals that I really don't like to eat, especially deer. Don't care how it's prepared, venison is gross. Only in survival mode would I ever eat venison again.

A

Anonymous

A fun genus

krebs303 said:
The only mushrooms I have hunted grow in cow patties after rain in the north west. When you break off the stems they turn blue. when you eat them there are many more colors:eek:

genus Psilocybe, species difficult to name without a specimen. Generally considered a "recreational" mushroom. I have been told that a very common hallucination people have after eating them is that they have made a mistake in identification and are about to die. Makes for an interesting experience.. just heard it, don't know for a fact

A

Anonymous

krebs303 said:

They grow in the south east also...first time I ever did any psychedelic, a friend gave me a bag of mushrooms. I ate 4 grams by myself. That's a lot...I could see behind my head. I also remember laughing for hours after remembering that joke from Up in Smoke where Chong gave Cheech too much acid. "I hope you're not busy for the next month." Still makes me chuckle.

A

Anonymous

My favotite gun

was the Winchester Model 12 20 gague (pic from the net)
30jqjad.jpg

I sold it years ago. Would be worth at least $1000 now if I had kept it

Also had a Winchester Model 50 12 gague, and a Remington 410/22 over under.

Every autumn, vast tracts of Wallonie and a few bits of Flanders can be almost completely closed off to MTBers, horseriders and hikers like my partner and I without prior announcement (except in some deeply buried local council circular).

It goes like this:

The leaves are starting to turn a lovely colour. You plan a route, you get up early and drive a couple of hours out to the wilds of the Ardennes, the plains of Brabant, the broad and deserted Province de Namur.

You could be walking three hours and not see any other sign of life and then, wham, a big red sign bans you from going any further.

You have to re-route and miss some beautiful woodlands, a babbling stream or a photogenic chateau because some privileged, richboy cretins are tearing up the land in their SUVs, invading from the city to let off steam for a day. Everything - nature and wildlife included - has to stop for them.

I despise hunters and hunting here in Belgium. :mad:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
They grow in the south east also...first time I ever did any psychedelic, a friend gave me a bag of mushrooms. I ate 4 grams by myself. That's a lot...I could see behind my head. I also remember laughing for hours after remembering that joke from Up in Smoke where Chong gave Cheech too much acid. "I hope you're not busy for the next month." Still makes me chuckle.

I can confirm the laughing for hours, finishing with a dark depression. Back to normal the next day.

A

Anonymous

ive just blocked the wifes computer from visiting the forum.

An angry animals rights supporter is probably beyond even the worst troll. :D

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
... some privileged, richboy cretins are tearing up the land in their SUVs, invading from the city to let off steam for a day. Everything - nature and wildlife included - has to stop for them.

I despise hunters and hunting here in Belgium. :mad:
I see where you're coming from. That would drive most anyone up the wall.

TeamSkyFans said:
An angry animals rights supporter is probably beyond even the worst troll. :D
Yeah, they can be as fierce as a wolverine.

There is good and bad in hunting. The fox hunt where men on horses use dogs to tire out an animal appalls me. That they don't eat fox is worse. But hunters who use skill and guile to pursue prey that they will consume is acceptable to me, so long as the prey are taken in numbers that the region can handle. Were I a caribou I would pray for a bullet in lieu of getting old and being torn to shreds by wolves. I've seen First Nations people carrying out a traditional hunt and been very impressed by their ability to literally live off the land while letting the species thrive. I've also seen First Nations people abuse their right to hunt without limit and been disgusted by the waste. Like anything, it goes all ways. I don't have the knowledge to comment on the Newfoundland harp seal hunt that gets so much play in Europe. But it has some awful optics on tv. The one unbiased news story I saw made it seem far less brutal than I had expected. I've hunted a bit, not any longer, and when I lived in an area that was almost dependent on hunting I sure had my eyes opened to how a well planned and ethical hunt can be a harvest that doesn't hurt the species.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
When I lived in New Zealand, I hunted pigs with dogs for 15 years until just over a year ago when my knee gave out and I had to start riding my bike again. I miss pig hunting more than I missed cycling.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Sanglier said:
When I lived in New Zealand, I hunted pigs with dogs for 15 years until just over a year ago when my knee gave out and I had to start riding my bike again. I miss pig hunting more than I missed cycling.

I might try hunting dogs with pigs. Supercharged pigs on EPO.

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
pigs, foxes, rabbits, hares, dogs, cats, goats, horses, camels and deer are all feral animals in Australia. Hunting them, with the exception of deer is more considered vermin control. Most of these animals have proved to be exceptionally resilient, and no matter what is done to cull the populations they just keep bouncing back. Sustainability really isn't an issue as extinction is the end game plan.

TRENDING THREADS