• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone else thinks "The Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy is awful?

I hated it. Awful. Terrible. Full of violence and hatred and darkness, not at all like the books.

I was sorry I wasted the money to see the first one in the theater. Have seen the last two on tv and they were even worse.

Loved the books, though. Of course, I first read them when I was in the eighth grade, that might have something to do with it.

Susan

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
*Nonsensical sequence*
*Expensive battle scene*
*Nonsensical sequence*
*You shall not pass*
*Expensive battle scene*
*Nonsensical sequence*
*My precious*
*Super nonsensical sequence*
*Super expensive battle scene*
*Hobbit party*
*The End*

W.T.F.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
boomcie said:
*Nonsensical sequence*
*Expensive battle scene*
*Nonsensical sequence*
*You shall not pass*
*Expensive battle scene*
*Nonsensical sequence*
*My precious*
*Super nonsensical sequence*
*Super expensive battle scene*
*Hobbit party*
*The End*

W.T.F.

Did you just watch it? And why no poll? :confused:

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I grew up with Lord of the Rings, I enjoyed the books and the animated 1978 movie (shame they didn't manage to finish the whole works) and whilst I did feel disappointed with the Peter Jackson’s trilogy there are far worse franchises out there (3/4 Spiderman films? Harry potter, Star Wars, how many Fast & Furious? etc.).

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Well I grew up with Lord of the Rings, I enjoyed the books and the animated 1978 movie (shame they didn't manage to finish the whole works) and whilst I did feel disappointed with the Peter Jackson’s trilogy there are far worse franchises out there (3/4 Spiderman films? Harry potter, Star Wars, how many Fast & Furious? etc.).

With far less critical praise.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Outrageous.

I'm with Parrulo... Who as a moderator will use his powers to close this thread... Immediately!!

Loved the books.

Loved the movies.

My signature gives a clue as to my allegiances.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Interesting people.

Stories that challenge the reader. Movies that challenge the viewer.

Lord of the rings challenges the viewer alright... By making it a tedious ride that's hard to endure.

There are far more challenging and intellectually rewarding movies around. LOTR movies are simply pulp. I myself didn't even find them entertaining and I don't need much to be entertained.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Sorry you feel that way. To each their own.

I like both book and movie.

Opinions... Everyone's got one. Yours is obviously different to mine and millions of others.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Sorry you feel that way. To each their own.

I like both book and movie.

Opinions... Everyone's got one. Yours is obviously different to mine and millions of others.

agreed.

loved both book and movie (tho I preferred the hobbit as a book, so do look forward to the movie). Whilst it certainly had some inconsistencies with the books, I still loved the movies. One of my favorite movies in fact (two towers imo was the best).

However I love movies / shows like this (game of thrones anyone? epic).

Spider you read any of feist?

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
agreed.

loved both book and movie (tho I preferred the hobbit as a book, so do look forward to the movie). Whilst it certainly had some inconsistencies with the books, I still loved the movies. One of my favorite movies in fact (two towers imo was the best).

However I love movies / shows like this (game of thrones anyone? epic).

Spider you read any of feist?

I love Game of Thrones. It has a scenario.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Game of thrones is epic stuff. Hope to read this soon.

Spider1964 said:
No Feist TLR.. Will get to it hopefully? The inheritance trilogy was one of the 1st books I read on iPad though.

I unfortunately saw the first hour of eragon and was convinced it was the worst thing I had ever seen and turned it off. Not sure I could read the books after this experience :eek:

Feist books are my favorite to be honest. Loved them.
I recommend them :)

LotR movie trilogy has:
- Elves straight out of Nuremberg in 1936
- Balding Elrond
- Skating Legolas
- Stupid Army of Ghosts
- Gimli the Comic Relief
- Ridiculous tactics (hey all cav form up and charge right at those humongous mûmakil)
- A winged balrog (I'm firmly in the no wings camp)
- Not nearly enough Sindarin
- Frodo telling Sam to **** off... AND SAM DOING IT
- Elves at Helm's Deep
- *** Spotlight Sauron
- Renaissance Italy armour
- Ruined Denethor
- Not nearly enough Old English
- Ridiculous Uruk-hai breeding
- Tiresome Treebeard

I could go on, I guess.

By the way, a few of these are actually very serious issues.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Game of thrones is epic stuff. Hope to read this soon.

I unfortunately saw the first hour of eragon and was convinced it was the worst thing I had ever seen and turned it off. Not sure I could read the books after this experience :eek:

Feist books are my favorite to be honest. Loved them.
I recommend them :)

Feist it is then. Recommendation appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS