• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone have experience with any of the Hed C2 wheelsets?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Though I've been very nice to HED about the quality of their wheels, one thing that am at odds with is that their C2 'Classics' wheels are not truly meant for the real Classics. Basically, they are very good all around consumer race wheels that have cute Belgian names. 5 different versions of essentially the same wheel might be a little overkill, and you'll never see the pros using them at the hardcore battlegrounds of RvV or Roubaix, simply because they're all low spoke count clinchers.

I agree with the "thinking man's Ardennes", due to the simplicity of using a clincher rim. Still not a true Classics wheel though. If you're riding and racing on the rough stuff like pavé or gravel, the latter of which I do quite a bit, box section, eyletted tubulars are the way to go.

You used to work at HED, didn't ya? I 'think' I remember you.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bustedknuckle said:
You used to work at HED, didn't ya? I 'think' I remember you.

Had a very limited relationship with them many years ago before they moved locations a whole 4 miles in the other direction, kind of like a friendly neighbor thing. Never on their payroll, so the short answer is, no. I like it that way, because it allows me to be a critic.:cool:

We all know you're not a big fan of the 'wheelouttaboxes' thing, but HED has some of the finest, and most experienced wheelbuilders in the country working for them, and they actually ride and race the products they build. Reed Stellijus is the master wheelbuilder there, and he's spun up upwards of around 30k wheels in his lifetime. They're in good hands.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't know that 5 different versions of the same wheel is very wise, and I predict they'll be dropping some in the next couple years. Ardennes C2 FR, Ardennes C2, Bastogne C2, Kermesse C2, Flanders C2. It's overkill, and I think they could have made their point with 2 or 3 max IMHO.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Had a very limited relationship with them many years ago before they moved locations a whole 4 miles in the other direction, kind of like a friendly neighbor thing. Never on their payroll, so the short answer is, no. I like it that way, because it allows me to be a critic.:cool:

We all know you're not a big fan of the 'wheelouttaboxes' thing, but HED has some of the finest, and most experienced wheelbuilders in the country working for them, and they actually ride and race the products they build. Reed Stellijus is the master wheelbuilder there, and he's spun up upwards of around 30k wheels in his lifetime. They're in good hands.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't know that 5 different versions of the same wheel is very wise, and I predict they'll be dropping some in the next couple years. Ardennes C2 FR, Ardennes C2, Bastogne C2, Kermesse C2, Flanders C2. It's overkill, and I think they could have made their point with 2 or 3 max IMHO.

My 'general' complaint with factory wheels aren't the quality of the product, altho some are not great wheels, poor hubs, etc. My issue is for the $, not sure what you get. A example is the early generation Campagnolo wheels. Electron, Proton, etc. Record or Chorus hub, stainless steel spokes, aluminum rim...but for way more than a wheelbuilder could do it for. PLUS the marketing claims as to what these things will do for ya. Big words like inertia, rotating mass, acceleration, weight, aerodynamics....etc. Really only 2 things you can measure on any bike 'thing'...weight and price. BUT the market has made lighter and more expensive synonymous with quality.

PLUS unique to that wheel parts, spokes, rims, that are often not supported by the manufacturer. Try to find a 26h rim for first gen. helium, as an example. Great marketing, great margin for the wheelbuilder factory, the benefit of marketing machine, big decals...but similar or less 'performance' than a wheel designed and build by a good wheelbuilder.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Bustedknuckle said:
My 'general' complaint with factory wheels aren't the quality of the product, altho some are not great wheels, poor hubs, etc. My issue is for the $, not sure what you get. A example is the early generation Campagnolo wheels. Electron, Proton, etc. Record or Chorus hub, stainless steel spokes, aluminum rim...but for way more than a wheelbuilder could do it for. PLUS the marketing claims as to what these things will do for ya. Big words like inertia, rotating mass, acceleration, weight, aerodynamics....etc. Really only 2 things you can measure on any bike 'thing'...weight and price. BUT the market has made lighter and more expensive synonymous with quality.

PLUS unique to that wheel parts, spokes, rims, that are often not supported by the manufacturer. Try to find a 26h rim for first gen. helium, as an example. Great marketing, great margin for the wheelbuilder factory, the benefit of marketing machine, big decals...but similar or less 'performance' than a wheel designed and build by a good wheelbuilder.

Some people realize that the marketing fluff is exactly that, most can look past it and discern quality from junk. I can absolutely relate to what your suggestion is for every time someone asks about prebuilts. However, it's not the answer for everybody, and there is some very good stuff that comes out of the box such as in the case of HED.

Other factors come into play like accessibility and trust of a local bike shop. I wish there was a good bike shop in every community with a decent wheel builder like yours, unfortunately this is not an option for everyone. Just one example of why people turn to online dealers, or order direct from the mfg.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased a set of HED Kermesse, so are they good or junk? I live in a small town in Texas with chip seal roads and believed the hype of the wheels. I weigh 195 + losing pounds fast, and ride over 300 miles a week. My other choice for a wheel set was the Easton EA 70. I hope I made the right choice. The EAs where like 200 cheaper. I have not mounted the HED Kermesse yet hope they were not a waist of $700 bucks. I will let you all know after I ride them a while.

Plus I like running Cont 25 c tires...

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
meremoth said:
I just purchased a set of HED Kermesse, so are they good or junk? I live in a small town in Texas with chip seal roads and believed the hype of the wheels. I weigh 195 + losing pounds fast, and ride over 300 miles a week. My other choice for a wheel set was the Easton EA 70. I hope I made the right choice. The EAs where like 200 cheaper. I have not mounted the HED Kermesse yet hope they were not a waist of $700 bucks. I will let you all know after I ride them a while.

Plus I like running Cont 25 c tires...

You'll be happier with the HED's. Better hubs than the Easton's by a mile, and the wider rim will give you a whole new perspective on traction and handling.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
In the add it says to run 23c tires with the HED Kermesse. I have 4 sets of Continental ultra gator skins in 25c. Is it alright to run the 25c? how much lower air pressure? The 25c says 125 max psi and HED says run lower pressure, but what 100 psi?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
meremoth said:
In the add it says to run 23c tires with the HED Kermesse. I have 4 sets of Continental ultra gator skins in 25c. Is it alright to run the 25c? how much lower air pressure? The 25c says 125 max psi and HED says run lower pressure, but what 100 psi?

The rim was made wider because nobody uses anything less than 23mm wide clinchers anymore, and it widens the contact patch of the tire to pavement = better handling. More are volume means less psi to get to an optimal pressure, so at your current weight you could even go down to 90psi and it will be just fine, and you'll really enjoy it on the rougher roads too. I'm running the new Velocity A23's (also 23mm wide rims, hence the handle) on my cross bike with 32mm wide tires, so no tire width limits.

meremoth said:

I have been using the Hed Kermesse wheels since last September. I run 23c and 25c. I run the 25c at around 90psi and the 23c at around 95-100. These are by far the best feeling wheels I have ever ridden. The wider rim really does affect road feel. The larger volume that the rim creates allows for lower pressure in order to generate the same tire stiffness.

The hubs are another matter. My wheels are back at the factory right now getting repaired. The front hub is a dud, and needs to be replaced (it produces a ton of drag when the QR is tightened) and the rear hub had excessive play that could not be resolved with the spacers that they sent me. I am still positive about the wheels and hope that my issues were a one off.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So it appears you can buy the C2 Belgium series rim and build a set with your favorite hub. Here's a link I found:

http://aebike.com/product/handspun-...lack-dt-aerolite-black-2x-sku-we7225-qc30.htm

Any comments on how DT240 hubs compare to the hed sonic hubs? I've read the sonic freehub is pretty loud (think sram).

This set would weigh around 1530g without skewers and cost $750 which puts it between the bastogne and kermesse in both weight and price.

BTW, I really like the different colored nipples. Just one of those things...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Black Dog said:
Any dealer of HED wheels can order you the rims through for around $100/rim. If I had known this when I bought me wheels I would have bought the rims and built the wheels myself on DT hubs.

I ended up buying the set I linked earlier. C2 Belgium rims, DT 240 hubs, aerolight spokes.

Was also happy to find out that hand spun wheels is a local company.

Can't wait for next week.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Black Dog said:
Any dealer of HED wheels can order you the rims through for around $100/rim. If I had known this when I bought me wheels I would have bought the rims and built the wheels myself on DT hubs.

Don't have to be a HED dealer, and you'll save $30/rim if you go Velocity A23. I'm still scratching my HED as why you didn't DIY Black Dog. I know you know how to build wheels. :confused:

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Don't have to be a HED dealer, and you'll save $30/rim if you go Velocity A23. I'm still scratching my HED as why you didn't DIY Black Dog. I know you know how to build wheels. :confused:

Well RDV, I am kicking myself in the **** over that. At the time I was not aware that I could source a 23mm rim. I have built hundreds of sets wheels in my life and this was the 1st set of 'boutique' wheels that I purchased. Still I went with 'high spoke count' wheels with j-bend spokes that are crossed. This will be my 1st and last set of 'boutique' wheels.

However, the build quality from HED was very very good. High and even tension all the way around and they were true to within 0.5mm both side to side and up and down. The issue is the hubs. HED has been good about backing their product so far and I will not judge them by their mistakes only by how they handle them.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Black Dog said:
The issue is the hubs. HED has been good about backing their product so far and I will not judge them by their mistakes only by how they handle them.

That sucks about the hubs. Back when I was consulting with them, their hubs were actually a big part of the reason I backed out of the relationship. This was over a decade ago though. Since then I really thought they resolved the hub issue because they have become more visible with Intl road sponsorships, also in the local race scene and I know a lot of people who roll their stuff without any problems. Oh well, I'm sure you'll be taken care of. Good bunch of fellows there.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
That sucks about the hubs. Back when I was consulting with them, their hubs were actually a big part of the reason I backed out of the relationship. This was over a decade ago though. Since then I really thought they resolved the hub issue because they have become more visible with Intl road sponsorships, also in the local race scene and I know a lot of people who roll their stuff without any problems. Oh well, I'm sure you'll be taken care of. Good bunch of fellows there.

I am thinking that this is a one off deal with poor hubs. However, I have heard some complaints about the play in the rear hub. When I emailed HED about this I was sent some spacers right away which may suggest that this is a bit of an issue. The spacers did help but did not eliminate the problem.

Black Dog said:
I am thinking that this is a one off deal with poor hubs. However, I have heard some complaints about the play in the rear hub. When I emailed HED about this I was sent some spacers right away which may suggest that this is a bit of an issue. The spacers did help but did not eliminate the problem.

Hed sent the wheels back to me. They replaced the front wheel and put in a new design threaded axel in the real wheel (and replaced the freehub body, which was nice since the old one was chewed up). There is no drag in the front hub and the rear hub has zero play now. They seem just fine. The service was good and quick. I will have to get in a few hundred kilometres on them before I will give a final verdict on the fix.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
first off make sure you have enuff clearance for that thick of a rim. I had Hed Stinger 6's and they would rub the side of my chain stays when I would get out of the saddle. My weight is 180 lbs. The only choice I had was to ride them or exchange them for the older viersion, so I just kept them and rode them until some jackass made a right turn in front of me.

TRENDING THREADS