• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone know Astana's roster for next year...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So it looks like the Astana affair is finally resolved for 2010 (hooray).

Astana's site doesn't list next years roster so I'm hoping someone can help fill out the list below.

Contador
Vino
Noval
Perriero

Also, what are you thoughts on the team and where might it need to improve?

They have a good enough team to offer good support to Contador in the TdF and minor stage races. Vino will try to be their one man classics team, launching suicide attacks in the finale of every big classic they get invited to. Who knows, he might even pull off a decent victory that way. But apart from that..... very little. If Tiralongo wants a shot a doing something in the Giro he'll probably have a team of Gasparotto, Celestino and 6 Kazakh neo-pros to do it with.

Long term this team is more troubled than Retirement Shack. Contador will leave after next season, and then what? Nothing. This team is on life support. 11 months left to live.

richwagmn said:
So it looks like the Astana affair is finally resolved for 2010 (hooray).

Astana's site doesn't list next years roster so I'm hoping someone can help fill out the list below.

Contador
Vino
Noval
Perriero

Also, what are you thoughts on the team and where might it need to improve?

Cycling Quotient has a list of transfers in and out, including possible/rumored transfers.

Moondance said:
They have a good enough team to offer good support to Contador in the TdF and minor stage races. Vino will try to be their one man classics team, launching suicide attacks in the finale of every big classic they get invited to. Who knows, he might even pull off a decent victory that way. But apart from that..... very little. If Tiralongo wants a shot a doing something in the Giro he'll probably have a team of Gasparotto, Celestino and 6 Kazakh neo-pros to do it with.

Long term this team is more troubled than Retirement Shack. Contador will leave after next season, and then what? Nothing. This team is on life support. 11 months left to live.

Astana will win more races than RadioShack next year.

Moondance said:
You usually win something when you have the best cyclist in the world riding on your team. But i was talking long-term, or do you really see a future for Astana post-Contador?

I'm not looking beyond this year for either team. RadioShack's commitment is only 2 years and I'm not confident that Armstrong is committed beyond 1. While the team was awarded a 4 year license (which is per UCI regulations and not the result of some conspiracy), I can't see the current team surviving that long.

Publicus said:
I'm not looking beyond this year for either team. RadioShack's commitment is only 2 years and I'm not confident that Armstrong is committed beyond 1. While the team was awarded a 4 year license (which is per UCI regulations and not the result of some conspiracy), I can't see the current team surviving that long.

I agree completely, and have made posts to that effect:

Four years? I doubt they'll be around that long. Does anyone expect there to be any interest, sponsorship wise, if Lance goes away after next season or maybe '11? - Me, October 16 on the announcement that RS got a 4 year ProTour licence

But that isn't the issue here. We're talking about Astana, which is equally doomed IMO.

Moondance said:

But that isn't the issue here. We're talking about Astana, which is equally doomed IMO.

Not to belabor the point, but I was talking about Astana as well. I'll say this much, I have the sense that Kazakhstan is far more committed to fielding a ProTour team for years to come than either Lance Armstrong or RadioShack. They may have waited a bit long for my taste to demonstrate that commitment this fall, but they are certainly making all the right noises and moves at this point.

2011 is a long way away.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Astana will win more races than RadioShack next year.

+1
Radioshack are all for the tour de france and tour of california and if they get anything else, well that's a bonus.

A very one dimensional team which is just for lance. BORING

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
For Astana the key here is Vino.

As long as he is active the commercial interests in Kazakhstan will be willing to fund the team.
Of course having Contador for next season will get the team (but perhaps not Vino) invited to a lot of races.

As long as the team remains clear of controversy they should be able to establish themselves from 2011 on.

Lance's teams have been about Lance, not about developing other riders.
They had Boonen, until he left because he saw the obvious.

RadioShack is another team of Lance salad-tossers.
I understand money talks, but hey, that doesn't mean the RadioShackers aren't flossing their teeth with Lance's short and curlies.

Can't wait until Hincapie is pacing Cadel up the climbs and Pharmstrong is struggling to keep up.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
For Astana the key here is Vino.

As long as he is active the commercial interests in Kazakhstan will be willing to fund the team.
Of course having Contador for next season will get the team (but perhaps not Vino) invited to a lot of races.

As long as the team remains clear of controversy they should be able to establish themselves from 2011 on.

I don't understand why Vino would have trouble being invited to races. He was free to participate in all events since his comeback. It's just the Tour de France you're talking about or others?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
It would be pretty hypocritical for ASO to not let Vino and Astana not ride their races next year, after they chased Unibet out of cycling (it was BS anywya, since they were allowed to race in Paris-Tours in 2006, which I believe is in France, and there are never any problems with Lotto. Rather Unibet had a PT licence and ASO wanted to give the middle finger to the UCI), let Liquigas ride the 2009 Tour after Beltran tested positive in 2008, Rabobank and Rasmussen in 2007, Saxo Bank and Riis, Cofidis and Moreni in 2007, Columbia are still allowed to race when Sinkewitz tested positive in 2007 under the same management, even though T-Mobile still sponsored the team and the car trip to Freiburg after Stage 1 in 2006.

That is why I thought it was hypocritical for them to not let Fuji-Survetto and Barloworld not do the ASO races this year as well.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bicing said:
I don't understand why Vino would have trouble being invited to races. He was free to participate in all events since his comeback. It's just the Tour de France you're talking about or others?

Yes - just the Tour.
But even then if ASO try and exclude him he could go the same route as Boonen and appeal through the Courts.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
It would be pretty hypocritical for ASO to not let Vino and Astana not ride their races next year, after they chased Unibet out of cycling (it was BS anywya, since they were allowed to race in Paris-Tours in 2006, which I believe is in France, and there are never any problems with Lotto. Rather Unibet had a PT licence and ASO wanted to give the middle finger to the UCI), let Liquigas ride the 2009 Tour after Beltran tested positive in 2008, Rabobank and Rasmussen in 2007, Saxo Bank and Riis, Cofidis and Moreni in 2007, Columbia are still allowed to race when Sinkewitz tested positive in 2007 under the same management, even though T-Mobile still sponsored the team and the car trip to Freiburg after Stage 1 in 2006.

That is why I thought it was hypocritical for them to not let Fuji-Survetto and Barloworld not do the ASO races this year as well.

Unfortunately the ASO are full of hypocrisy.
However Astana and Vino rode Paris-Tours this year, which is run by ASO - so there should be no reason to exclude Vino.

** Just a point on your above comments on T-Mobile & Columbia.
The management of Columbia in 2007 were completely different from the management of T-Mobile 2006. And Sinkerwitz positive only came to light during the 2007 Tour (after he had already crashed out).

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Unfortunately the ASO are full of hypocrisy.
However Astana and Vino rode Paris-Tours this year, which is run by ASO - so there should be no reason to exclude Vino.

** Just a point on your above comments on T-Mobile & Columbia.
The management of Columbia in 2007 were completely different from the management of T-Mobile 2006. And Sinkerwitz positive only came to light during the 2007 Tour (after he had already crashed out).

Astana did not race:p

Moondance said:

Maybe, maybe not.
Whereas, we have a pretty good idea of how the Shack's lifespan will pan out, Astana could possibly turn their future around.

If they keep their noses clean, have a successful season and strengthen their squad, there's an still a chance of a reprieve.

Add to that, the fact that each year on, the PT looks less and less relevant....

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The PT was ****ed from when the idea was first mooted in late 2003 and then it would take place in 2005, especially with the points system. I mean, ENECO Tour > Fleche Wallone victory or podium? Epic fail.

craig1985 said:
The PT was ****ed from when the idea was first mooted in late 2003 and then it would take place in 2005, especially with the points system. I mean, ENECO Tour > Fleche Wallone victory or podium? Epic fail.

A win in Eneco Tour (with a hypothetical 2.HC ranking) would have been worth more points than Fleche Vallone even with the old UCI world ranking system.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Current TDF-2010 Team

1. Contador
2. Vinokourov - ?
--------------------
one of them
3. Tiralongo
4. Navarro
5. Noval
6. Fofonov
7. Hernandez