• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

April 28th, Tour de Romandie - Stage 2: Romont - Romont, 171.8 km

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
profile-2.jpg

Interesting stage. Cat 1 Climb 16 km from the finish.

Top 10 GC After Stage 1:
1 Pavel Brutt (Rus) Katusha Team 4:31:26
2 Oleksandr Kvachuk (Ukr) Lampre - ISD 0:01:00
3 Branislau Samoilau (Blr) Movistar Team 0:01:22
4 Jack Bobridge (Aus) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:01:31
5 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Pro Team Astana 0:02:04
6 Gorka Verdugo Marcotegui (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
7 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:02:06
8 Steve Morabito (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:02:08
9 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD
10 Beñat Intxausti Elorriaga (Spa) Movistar Team 0:02:09

This is interesting now Bobridge is in the top half. I think he could ride himself into form for the ITT and just cling on in the mountains/ hills. Cadel and Morabito can do 1-2 attacks and their team shall be relied upon to do most of the chasing. Verdugo and Vino look dangerous too, i think vino for tommorow as he can descend well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
This is interesting now Bobridge is in the top half. I think he could ride himself into form for the ITT and just cling on in the mountains/ hills. Cadel and Morabito can do 1-2 attacks and their team shall be relied upon to do most of the chasing. Verdugo and Vino look dangerous too, i think vino for tommorow as he can descend well.

Well the fact that Bobridge (Garmin) and Brutt (Katusha) have good chances to win it is definetly in their interests to chase today. I guess it will also depend on how Brutt is feeling. Katusha might decide that Brutt is feeling bad so they will set a false tempo. The final km is 7.5% which looks fun! Der Panzerwagen also has a chance to redeem himself today. Bavarian Rider is starting turn into me with his continual pumping up of Martin. ;)

Other than the first 10km's of the stage, there is pretty much no flat at all. Today seems like the queen stage imo.

auscyclefan94 said:
Other than the first 10km's of the stage, there is pretty much no flat at all. Today seems like the queen stage imo.

Not if you read this detailed Romandie analysis:

http://plataformarecorridosciclistas.org/

All the climbing looked at. Basically says all the climbs have been over rated.
The second cats should actual be third and since when is a 5.5km ascent gaining 300 metres or so a first cat?

On the other hand , we must warn that the organizers have blatantly inflated ports categories , with several 1 st that are no more than 2
It is incomprehensible that the Grand Tours bet by many high mountains and reduce until almost ridiculously km time trial, yet stage races a week, as Romandie, Paris-Nice or the Basque Country to do just the opposite: little or no high mountains and time trials of 20 km or more, being too critical

Having said that, this is the sort of undulating course that can make a mess of a peloton..................if they ride hard and ride early.

Also disputes the finish:
riders will face a last slope of 1.3 km at 6%

What I find really weird is that the Shack sent Kloden to Trentino, with 3 MTFs and a short ITT, instead of here.
This is another race where he could have taken the overall, by doing what he does best: follow wheels and beat them against the clock.

Likely to be another selective stage with more rain forecast and a tough parcours

It's similar to this stage in 2004 when Garzelli won from a favourites group of 27. The main difference this year is that the summit of the final climb is 16km from home instead of 50km so this year should be more selective

Looks set up for Cunego if Lampre can control it which is questionable

What time is the internet coverage, Steephill says 16:00 CET.

When is that? FRom World Clock its about midday in London, is CET central European Time, does that mean its about 1pm CET now being 1 hour more than the POMS.

Thanks

Hugh
On the other side of the world with crap internet.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:
What time is the internet coverage, Steephill says 16:00 CET.

When is that? FRom World Clock its about midday in London, is CET central European Time, does that mean its about 1pm CET now being 1 hour more than the POMS.

Thanks

Hugh
On the other side of the world with crap internet.

I think it's 3pm UK time, yes.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Not if you read this detailed Romandie analysis:

http://plataformarecorridosciclistas.org/

All the climbing looked at. Basically says all the climbs have been over rated.
The second cats should actual be third and since when is a 5.5km ascent gaining 300 metres or so a first cat?

Having said that, this is the sort of undulating course that can make a mess of a peloton..................if they ride hard and ride early.

Also disputes the finish:

Well doing the maths on the offical profile of the final km, it is 7%. Still looks quite undualting even if it is over exaggerated.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Good luck making up two minutes on Pavel Brutt on this course. He has this race in the bag.

I don't know, Vino could definitely do something here on that stage. But the profiles are probably a joke again, so I can't be sure. It's going to make the race interesting I think because now they'll have to attack if they want to win.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
I expect Tony to Bounce back today. If he can hang in the groupes of the fas today, and they can drop Brutt by 1 Minute he can still win this one

is the only person you talk about tony martin?:confused:

TRENDING THREADS