• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Arctic Race of Norway 2019 - 15/18 Aug

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage
Clipboard.jpg

GC
GC.jpg

I would assume his goal was to win the race. Maybe that would have been impossible either way but he definitely gave himself the smallest chance of doing so.
VDP is really an all or nothing kind of guy. If he ever becomes a gc racer that would have to change. As prep for his goal (worlds) this is more valuable. He could maybe have limited his losses, but not enough to keep 1st.

I would assume his goal was to win the race. Maybe that would have been impossible either way but he definitely gave himself the smallest chance of doing so.
It seems to have become a habbit of MvDP, although the strategy of going too deep too soon worked out bizarrely well in Amstel, strangely enough. When all is said, he was probably close to chanceless today, regardless of how he had tackled Storheia.

Apparently MVP got sick last night and may not start tomorrow. Decent performance considering but all the more reason for him to pace the climb differently.
Why?
It doesnt matter whether he looses 50 or 80 seonds.
This boy is a bike racer and aims for the stars.... its pretty refreshing considering the last years when almost everybody races for placements.

Eiking... Did not expect that at all. VDP definitely messed up his pacing. Probably cost him 20 s or more.

I surely wasn't thinking of him as a possible winner before the stage today either, but he has finished 5th and 6th in GC of Arctic race before and been 8th at the Tour of Oman in 2018 so this came out of nowhere.

VDP is really an all or nothing kind of guy. If he ever becomes a gc racer that would have to change. As prep for his goal (worlds) this is more valuable. He could maybe have limited his losses, but not enough to keep 1st.

I haven't been paying much attention to him before, but could he really ever become a GT contender? he seems much too big of a man, assuming he might be able to shed a few kilos, I guess he would still totally look out of place finishing with the best at a TdF mountain stage.

I
I haven't been paying much attention to him before, but could he really ever become a GT contender? he seems much too big of a man, assuming he might be able to shed a few kilos, I guess he would still totally look out of place finishing with the best at a TdF mountain stage.
I wouldn’t rule anything out with him, but he would have to shed some weight (mostly muscles). I wasn’t specifically talking about GT’s, but just GC for smaller races.
I doubt he would ever try for GC in a GT, but then with him nothing is impossible.

TRENDING THREADS