• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are dry lubes a waste of time???

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone use any "dry" chain lubes they recommend? I find they "maybe" last a hundred miles or so and then it's time to reapply. Plus, they never make my chain as quiet as a wet lube which I assume means more drivetrain friction.

Should I skip the dry lubes and go back to wet ones?

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Does anyone use any "dry" chain lubes they recommend? I find they "maybe" last a hundred miles or so and then it's time to reapply. Plus, they never make my chain as quiet as a wet lube which I assume means more drivetrain friction.

Should I skip the dry lubes and go back to wet ones?

Your observations about dry (wax) lube are correct - it doesn't last as long or run as smooth. But the best lube is purpose specific - what sort of riding? Road, MTB/CX, dry and dusty, wet and muddy, gritty or clay?

If you're needing to reapply in the absence of having to hose/scrub crap off the chain, yes, you should probably ditch the dry lube and revert to regular lube.

I stick to a semi-dry on the road (i.e. very light lube with teflon or similar e.g. pro gold).

However, I do use mostly use a dry lube for MTB (e.g. White lightning), because the chain is much easier to clean up, often just a hose down and re-lube is all that's required.

Occasionally I use a heavy lube (e.g. purple extreme) for longer rides in wet mucky conditions when the chain will receive frequent dunkings or if I likely won't get to clean it between rides. This lube sticks to the chain much better than light oil or wax, but grit and dirt will stick as well and make horrible grinding noises. getting it clean again requires stripping it off with a chain scrubber & degreaser/solvent, hence why I usually stick to a dry wax lube. Probably would make a good wet weather road lube, but I don't ride much on the road in the wet!

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Dry Lubes? Would you honestly use a dry lube on any other mechanical device with metal parts?

Used to use it, got sick of the crap on chain and quicker wear.
I have been using Automatic Transmission Fluid now on all my bikes (even racing). Tip some on a clean rag, grip the chain, run it through the rag until chain is clean and lubed. Try it, cheap, reliable and great in the wet. You will never use Dry Lube again.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
These things are made for cyclists who dont have time to clean and lube their bikes every week as some do.

Wash the bike and chain + all running gear and spray with silicone lube every week and it will run perfect. It will also last 10,000 km without wear.

How did we manage before they invented all this junk (little elbow grease) and black hands.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
While you are thinking remember that PTFE (Teflon) is the most slippery substance made by man and since it doesn't melt until 300dC you kind of need to use it in solid form;)

Of course you need a good way of suspending it and you need to know you are actually getting a reasonable volume so that it can be effective, that is where the brands differ

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Please spear us from blanket statements, which is pathetic even if the poster have tried every product on the market....

I am riding an average of 400 km pr. week, races in whats equivalent to cat. 2 in US and have done that for 12 years. That means that I have been around long enough to have tried a lot of of stuff, including a hell of a lot of lubes. I have also learned that I have to adjust my paradigms some times. This is one instance. I have been using Delta oil for the last 4 years, as it might be the best lubricating oil on the market. It just has the same cons as all other wet lubes;

As I said, I am currently using a wax lube that actually works very well. I can even document that my chains get worn less after having started to use this product. I am sure that is because the usual oil/grit mixture a wet lube turns in to, works as a very effective grinding paste.

If I still raced track, I would probably use Delta there, as the contamination is not there, but on the road my best bet for the moment is the Squirt stuff.
And this stuff lasts quite OK. I lube every 200 km's and my chain is well lubed all the time. Longer intervals could very well be Ok.

TRENDING THREADS