• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are RAAM riders tested?

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
If the top 10 RAAM riders aren't tested, they probably have more dope in their veins than anyone on the planet.. or just a hell of a lot of crystal meth??
RAAM = race across america

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
You'd have to be mentally impaired to want to ride the thing anyway (and, if you aren't when you start, you certainly will be by the end)--let 'em take all the drugs they want.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I actually did hear they did start some testing in the last couple of editions, the top placings.

Then again, those guys are twice as hard as the tour guys. Different culture, less money. Like in mountain biking, XC vs 24hr...

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
When I used to ride MTB, I was preriding the course with some of my racing buddies. This Aussie guy asks if he can ride along as he has never ridden in Big Bear before. One of my buddies dad was trying to qualify for RAAM, so we were all discussing it. I was of the opinion that the guys who ride RAAM are fruitloops and I kept hammering away with my opinion. Trying not to be rude, I ask the Aussie for his opinion. His reply was, "Well, when I won RAAM last year?!?!?" and proceeds to tell us how difficult it was. Come to find out we were riding with Gerry Tetrai, the winner in '93 and '98 (this was '94). :eek: NORBA made him ride the beginner class. My sport group started at least 10 minutes before his group. I finished in 3rd place in my group. He passed me before the end of the first lap......He could ride.

edit: I still think they are fruitloops........

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Morgazano said:
I actually did hear they did start some testing in the last couple of editions, the top placings.

Then again, those guys aren't half the riders that the tour guys are, so who cares. Different culture, less money. Like in mountain biking, XC vs 24hr...

Fixed that.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
For the record, the one time a European Professional rode the RAAM, he had no problem winning it. And Jonathan Boyer was retired when he did it--past his prime, and even in his prime hardly one of the better Euro Pros. The guys who do RAAM are serious athletes, etc. But any serious Europro who decided it ride the thing would destroy them.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Uh what, guys who ride across the US in just over a week are fruitloops and freds??? guys who ride nearly every hour of the day non stop are ***?? you guys are amazing lol.. armchair warriors.

A

Anonymous

slowoldman said:
When I used to ride MTB, I was preriding the course with some of my racing buddies. This Aussie guy asks if he can ride along as he has never ridden in Big Bear before. One of my buddies dad was trying to qualify for RAAM, so we were all discussing it. I was of the opinion that the guys who ride RAAM are fruitloops and I kept hammering away with my opinion. Trying not to be rude, I ask the Aussie for his opinion. His reply was, "Well, when I won RAAM last year?!?!?" and proceeds to tell us how difficult it was. Come to find out we were riding with Gerry Tetrai, the winner in '93 and '98 (this was '94). :eek: NORBA made him ride the beginner class. My sport group started at least 10 minutes before his group. I finished in 3rd place in my group. He passed me before the end of the first lap......He could ride.

edit: I still think they are fruitloops........

Freaking great story!...but yea, fruitloops for sure.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Boyer won, but only by a few hours, and said it was the hardest race he'd ever done.

Tinker Juarez rode RAAM, and was not a factor. He fnished fourth or fifth.

John Howard participated in the first RAAM - he was also 1971 Pan-American Road Race champion.

Danny Chew won RAAM a couple of times - was a very fast rider in his day, has done and finished respectably in U.S. RR championship in Philly.

Current RAAM studs like Jure Robic could place well in 40 km+ TTs in a national field and are the strongest around in their age group.

RAAM is a little weird, but you goons that denigrate the athleticism of RAAM riders are really lame. Get a life.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
Uh what, guys who ride across the US in just over a week are fruitloops and freds??? guys who ride nearly every hour of the day non stop are ***?? you guys are amazing lol.. armchair warriors.

Yeah, why don't you tell me all about your experience racing in Europe, or what time you posted in your last RAAM, you huge stud. How's that lazy-boy treating you?

The point isn't that RAAM racers aren't talented, the point is that Euro-Pros are on a whole different level--even the weakest domestique is a far better athlete than a RAAM winner. And I could kick your as$.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Nothing more than an educated guess, but I think that a race that involves so much sleep deprivation would see a fair bit of Modafinil use.

It's on the banned list, but if they're not testing...

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wallace said:
Yeah, why don't you tell me all about your experience racing in Europe, or what time you posted in your last RAAM, you huge stud. How's that lazy-boy treating you?

The point isn't that RAAM racers aren't talented, the point is that Euro-Pros are on a whole different level--even the weakest domestique is a far better athlete than a RAAM winner. And I could kick your as$.

Euro-Pros are on a whole different level than Pro Triathletes too.. Try telling the LA fanboys how untalented they are.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Every sport under WADA convention is tested at national level or above even the lawn bowls and darts.
Different test requirements each sport
Beta Blockers are banned because they improve consentration even in Chess.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Just read that there is random testing at RAAM.
Cant really compare the top RAAM guys vs Euro roadies, different animals.

But if you think most Euro Pros could beat Jure Robic at RAAM or any sort of Ultra race, then you are kidding yourself.

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone, Apologies for this being my first post, longtime viewer etc.

I know that my team of riders were tested at the finish after winning in 2000. (4 person div) I have to say though, my riders were well into a case of beer by the time they were asked so I don't know how the results would have looked!

Also having been on the race a number of times, I recall that the leading solo rider one year being tested during the race, Juri Robic.

As for standards, I believe most of the leading riders are also pretty accomplished regular racers before finding their true calling in Ultra racing.

In the Solo division it is very much a mental thing i believe. Some people can just switch off and push through. (Not unlike top athletes in any sport, just to a slightly different level)

As for Beards, some do some don't.

Just my view, having seen it with my own eyes.

SM

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the stories of Robic training and racing are impressive, make most Euro guys weep. Hardcore army nut.

The guy currently coming 2nd, Gerhard Gulewicz, was a former bodybuilder/powerlifter. His past might raise a few eyebrows regarding drugs...

Love the armchair warriors on here = Wallace.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
many of the fragile perfect little climber types would fall apart on a solo raam to say any euro pro could easily beat the likes of jure robic is silly and un educated. look into his cycling history the 24h stuff etc.. he is a tough ******* mentally and physically besides being a cyclist he is or was a special forces soldier. im easily more impressed with some of the stuff amateurs do compared to the tour.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Morgazano said:
Yeah, the stories of Robic training and racing are impressive, make most Euro guys weep. Hardcore army nut.

The guy currently coming 2nd, Gerhard Gulewicz, was a former bodybuilder/powerlifter. His past might raise a few eyebrows regarding drugs...

Love the armchair warriors on here = Wallace.

Actually, to be precise, it's not an armchair, it's an aeron chair. Important distinction. Of course, unlike you, I don't have a computer attached to my handlebars, and so have to keep my riding time and computer time separate. Watch where you're going!

I take it all back. RAAM riders are the top of the riding heap. That accounts for the tremendous enthusiasm for the sport with the general populace. Why literally dozens of people turn out to watch the race--and sometimes one of them isn't family or friends of the racers! Can't argue with that kind of devotion.

Okay, I think my dickishness has gone over the top here. Time to take a break from the forums.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
If the top 10 RAAM riders aren't tested, they probably have more dope in their veins than anyone on the planet.. or just a hell of a lot of crystal meth??
RAAM = race across america

Tested for sanity? Stupid race. No one cares.