• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are we seeing reverse psychology?

I can't help but theorize about some of the pro's like Contador and others with their comments that a certain reverse psychology is happening. They don't want to admit to their own foibles, and mistakes. However, if the playing field could be leveled, and the majority of doping curtailed, it would affect competition and their health in a positive way.

None of them want to admit to how bad of a problem doping currently is. Like many claim, it is not really being detected at all. If more positives, and an attempt or movement to a level playing field occurs, they benefit in several ways. Admittance of how bad the problem is, makes them all look even worse.

A crack down, helps everyone. If more riders can see that less doping is occurring, they can lessen or quit their own program. This significantly helps everyone's health. Why wouldn't pro's want to be judged clean, and show their true talent, not that of a pharma advantage? The first pro's that admit to the current problem, point the finger at themselves. The inability to admit the problems is a huge issue, which prevents healing as well. When everyone is immediately judged, transparency is difficult to achieve. In some ways, current efforts are driving doping further underground.

I hate that the extremely poor reasoning of accepting doping and living with it seems quasi-reasonable. Is there a way to ensure clean competition? The realization of chemists producing any compound, where it unable to be a controlled substance is worrisome. I say this, since one solution is to require markers within all pharmaceuticals. We can curtail illegal drug use with detection of those markers. Every advancement drives doping deeper underground to levels of undetectability.

Unfortunately, our society is becoming more accepting of drugs. Perhaps we should call the current generation not the baby boomers or generation x, but the drug generation. Everything is solved with a pill. Where we used to think less highly of using so many drugs, and few would advocate regular use of aspirin would be beneficial, we have evolved in thinking that drugs are a part of our lives. This invasion, changes our point of view, and with that, drugs within sport become slightly more acceptable. It borders on hypocrisy. How do we advocate clean sport, when we have drawers and medicine chests full of prescriptions for nearly every ailment?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
PotentialPro said:
I can't help but theorize about some of the pro's like Contador and others with their comments that a certain reverse psychology is happening. They don't want to admit to their own foibles, and mistakes. However, if the playing field could be leveled, and the majority of doping curtailed, it would affect competition and their health in a positive way.

None of them want to admit to how bad of a problem doping currently is. Like many claim, it is not really being detected at all. If more positives, and an attempt or movement to a level playing field occurs, they benefit in several ways. Admittance of how bad the problem is, makes them all look even worse.

A crack down, helps everyone. If more riders can see that less doping is occurring, they can lessen or quit their own program. This significantly helps everyone's health. Why wouldn't pro's want to be judged clean, and show their true talent, not that of a pharma advantage? The first pro's that admit to the current problem, point the finger at themselves. The inability to admit the problems is a huge issue, which prevents healing as well. When everyone is immediately judged, transparency is difficult to achieve. In some ways, current efforts are driving doping further underground.

I hate that the extremely poor reasoning of accepting doping and living with it seems quasi-reasonable. Is there a way to ensure clean competition? The realization of chemists producing any compound, where it unable to be a controlled substance is worrisome. I say this, since one solution is to require markers within all pharmaceuticals. We can curtail illegal drug use with detection of those markers. Every advancement drives doping deeper underground to levels of undetectability.

Unfortunately, our society is becoming more accepting of drugs. Perhaps we should call the current generation not the baby boomers or generation x, but the drug generation. Everything is solved with a pill. Where we used to think less highly of using so many drugs, and few would advocate regular use of aspirin would be beneficial, we have evolved in thinking that drugs are a part of our lives. This invasion, changes our point of view, and with that, drugs within sport become slightly more acceptable. It borders on hypocrisy. How do we advocate clean sport, when we have drawers and medicine chests full of prescriptions for nearly every ailment?
Reverse psychology.....

I see what you did there.

PotentialPro said:
No, Bruyneel is preparing his defence, and need some riders to support him, that's all.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I only stayed in here to mock, but the post is interesting.

Pros making what seem like wildly inappropriate comments backing Armstrong, are issuing coded cries for help. Like a hostage phoning his family with a gun held to his head. Occam's razor though. They've made successful careers doing the same pharmaceuticals as Armstrong. They've made that ethical leap, and are speaking from a different point of view to we Freds.

The second part is also quite interesting though.

Honestly, I just think this is more akin to Beltrán's reaction to being tested in an actually effective way at the 2008 Tour, instead of being given enough leeway to avoid a positive, as he was no doubt used to. The rules are a-changin', and they don't like that. It takes them out of their comfort zone. They played the game for so long, and now it might turn out the game had a hidden card all along. Samu in particular is crying "These aren't the usual rules! This is unfair!"

PotentialPro said:
I say this, since one solution is to require markers within all pharmaceuticals. We can curtail illegal drug use with detection of those markers.

Big pharma co's are playing on a way higher financial plane than pro cycling, or even all other sports combined. They have little to no tangible financial incentive to engineer their products to include markers. Good idea that's been tossed around many times previously, but highly unlikely to happen.

Not to mention that regular users, who are treating valid medical issues according to the intended purpose of the products, would probably cite potential privacy concerns if a method was introduced that would easily allow others to learn what medications they are taking.

I appreciate the comments, and the higher level discussion.

In thinking about detection, or some testing situation that approaches infallibility, the markers method seemed like a reasonable track. It has approaches such as in the ER on overdoses, or even for diagnostics in regards to uptake to be of benefit. I agree there is little impetus for big pharma to do so other than government regulation.

One of my main points was exactly the awkward support statements. In a way, it is a cry for help. If the problem is solved, or addressed, then the next big name pro wont be taken down by a positive ruining their pride and career.

hrotha Honestly, I just think this is more akin to Beltrán's reaction to being tested in an actually effective way at the 2008 Tour, instead of being given enough leeway to avoid a positive, as he was no doubt used to. The rules are a-changin', and they don't like that. It takes them out of their comfort zone. They played the game for so long, and now it might turn out the game had a hidden card all along. Samu in particular is crying "These aren't the usual rules! This is unfair!"

Can a governing body get it right like this all the time without it being a witch hunt or kangaroo court? I hate that all the athletes feel this way, however, doping and the positive/adverse finding changes the defense. But then again, any criminal could argue the same, Damn evidence gets in the way every time! The truth sucks! When anyone declines their day in court, no matter the court, no one should argue witch hunt. Defend yourself each and every time, to the utmost of your ability. I have felt for the last decade plus, that it was impossible the lack of positives based on all athletes tested by all governing bodies for all sports. Pro sports is a joke, college worse. Olympic sports, wow, will we ever see the truth?

TRENDING THREADS